Author Topic: NSA Found Improperly Spying on Americans  (Read 1034 times)

Offline thundley4

NSA Found Improperly Spying on Americans
« on: April 16, 2009, 06:35:13 AM »
Justice Dept. finds National Security Agency improperly accessed American phone calls and e-mails and sought to eavesdrop on an unidentified Congressman in contact with an extremist.
WASHINGTON -- The National Security Agency intercepted Americans' e-mails and phone calls in recent months on a scale that went beyond limits set by Congress last year, The New York Times reported on Wednesday.

The problems were discovered during a review of the intelligence activities, the Justice Department said in a statement Wednesday night, and said they had been resolved.

Citing unnamed intelligence officials, the Times said the NSA had engaged in "'over-collection' of domestic communications of Americans." Sources reportedly described the practice as varying from significant to systemic to unintentional.

The agency also tried to wiretap a member of Congress without a warrant, an intelligence official told the Times.

The NSA believed that the congressman, whose identity was not revealed, was in contact with an extremist who had possible ties to terror and was already under surveillance. The NSA then tried to eavesdrop on the congressman's conversations, the Times said.
FNC

It would be interesting to know who the congressman was.  Will there be any outrage from the left about this?   :whatever:

Offline Lord Undies

Re: NSA Found Improperly Spying on Americans
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 06:39:51 AM »
The agency also tried to wiretap a member of Congress without a warrant, an intelligence official told the Times.

The NSA believed that the congressman, whose identity was not revealed, was in contact with an extremist who had possible ties to terror and was already under surveillance. The NSA then tried to eavesdrop on the congressman's conversations, the Times said.

Doesn't this mean it's working?  Isn't this what they are suppose to do?

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 07:37:28 AM »
Doesn't this mean it's working?  Isn't this what they are suppose to do?

Looks like it's working exactly the way it's suppsoed to.

The public needs to demand the name of the Congresscritter be revealed.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 09:16:01 AM »
Looks like it's working exactly the way it's suppsoed to.

The public needs to demand the name of the Congresscritter be revealed.

It would have been released if it was a Republican. :banghead:

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 09:18:22 AM »
hmm....very interesting. Why is this not all over DU???
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 09:27:23 AM »
hmm....very interesting. Why is this not all over DU???
It was, except the part of the congressman.

Which would be interesting because ordinarily that would increase their calls for his prosecution. My guess is something REALLY dirty is going on.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."