Author Topic: Perry Como primitive finds Houston a bird-free city  (Read 1109 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Perry Como primitive finds Houston a bird-free city
« on: January 07, 2009, 09:09:30 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=180x55717

Oh my.

Perragrande  (1000+ posts)      Wed Jan-07-09 02:59 AM
Original message

The birds are GONE from Houston and nobody notices.

I was in Houston during Hurricane Ike.

My house was not damaged badly.

The only birds I hear are the yellow crowned night herons in the evening. They are big.

And sometimes a hawk.

There are NO little birds: No sparrows, chickadees, and such.

NO blue jays. No mockingbirds. All the grackles are in shopping center parking lots.

It's really spooky. I think they all got killed.

I dunno.

Maybe it's the season of the year; it's winter, after all.

Now, winters down in Texas aren't like winters up here in Nebraska, but I reasonably assume winters down in Texas aren't like summers down in Texas, and so the birds went somewhere less climatically-challenged until spring.

Dover  (1000+ posts)      Wed Jan-07-09 03:17 AM
Response to Original message

1. That must feel so strange...

I wonder if people even hear the birds....until they're gone.

jobycom  (1000+ posts)      Wed Jan-07-09 04:31 AM

2. Happened in Mississippi after Katrina, too.

The birds lost their infrastructure, too. No food, not nesting areas. It all came back, though.

hobbit709  (1000+ posts)      Wed Jan-07-09 06:39 AM

3. You can have the grackles roosting in my tree if you want

The tree is over my driveway and my truck looks like a guanomobile. I can come back from the carwash and before I even get out of the truck-SPLAT!

johncoby2  (1000+ posts)        Wed Jan-07-09 09:19 AM

4. Good catch!

We have a bird feeder out back and all I have seen are the squirrels since Ike.

The Perry Como primitive gets splatted by a big Fat Che dropping into her punch-bowl:

merci_me  (1000+ posts)      Wed Jan-07-09 12:45 PM
Response to Reply #4

5. Just the opposite here

We feed the birds and squirrels and still have tons of birds, from the littlest finches and wrens to the large doves, purple martins and blue jays, to everything between. But the squirrel population isn't what it use to be, though we had seven in the yard begging for peanuts the other day, since the storm, usually it's just the same four. They come right to the door and bump the window. Sometimes I have to put my foot out to keep them from hopping in.

A friend is involved in possum rescue (yikes) and became involved in trying to rescue some of the hundreds of baby squirrels around here, whose nests came down with the trees. She tells me trying to feed baby squirrels is a VERY time consuming job, but now all they were able to rescue have been taken to the appropriate areas and set free. The four who hange out in our yard are all the same size. They were very small after Ike, but are thriving.

One thing we've noticed is a huge influx of butterflies since Ike. I wonder if they came from the more coastal areas. When they started showing up, a week or so after Ike, we went out and bought more of the plants the caterpillars feed on. They immediately began defoliating them, then going into the chrysalis stage, then more beautiful butterflies. Thankfully the weather is holding and the plants are all in bloom again, so the cycle repeats.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: Perry Como primitive finds Houston a bird-free city
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 09:23:54 PM »
They do try to find things to get upset about.   :mental:

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 09:25:34 PM »
Birds are pretty smart.  The Perry Como primitive probably likes to spank his monkey while he watches them preen, so more than likely they're just avoiding him.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
I dunno.  I'm about 70 miles north of Houston and we got hit pretty hard by Ike.  We have TONS of birds, squirrels, friggin deer, pelicans, coons, Heck ... all kinds of wildlife.  Of course, I don't live in an alternate reality.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 03:54:34 AM »
I dunno.  I'm about 70 miles north of Houston and we got hit pretty hard by Ike.  We have TONS of birds, squirrels, friggin deer, pelicans, coons, Heck ... all kinds of wildlife.  Of course, I don't live in an alternate reality.

KC

Animals can sense this.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 06:02:18 AM »
Those birds aren't done feasting on the thousands of bodies still hanging in trees where the lonestarnut primitive said they were.  She's been vindicated!

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 06:42:43 AM »
Birds do what their DNA tells them to do. When it's winter they fly to some place warmer.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 07:24:25 AM »
Damn the VRWC Hurricane Machine for killing all the birdies! :(

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 10:49:45 AM »
Damn the VRWC Hurricane Machine for killing all the birdies! :(

Someone put the wrong settings in!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 10:58:11 AM »
I just went exploring, to find the meaning of "perragrande," so as to devise a better re-baptismal name for the Perry Como primitive, and ran across her profile on Yahoo.

It doesn't say much, though.

http://profiles.yahoo.com/perragrande

perragrande
48 Female Houston TX

About Me

INTERESTS

Interests: Member of WIFT-Houston and SWAMP; making jewelry, painting & textile arts, playing piano, Fender jazz bass, singing, acting,Buddhism/Hinduism/atheism/Steiner

Anything Else: www.sharonarts.com, www.smack-45.com, www.ovarian-ovation.com, www.changingcourse.com

That's about all it says, so no point going to the link.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 02:10:45 PM »
Someone put the wrong settings in!

Someone needs to reprogram it so it knows that;   Moonbat does not equal Bird.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 02:40:31 PM »
Someone needs to reprogram it so it knows that;   Moonbat does not equal Bird.

KC

Go talk to the C++ guys.

Chase her.