Author Topic: primitives discuss hamburger  (Read 2587 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss hamburger
« on: December 30, 2008, 12:29:13 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x52085

Syrinx  (1000+ posts)        Mon Dec-29-08 05:43 AM
Original message

what's the best internal temp for a burger?

I want to make a burger that is juicy, but not bloody. What is the correct temperature to take it off the grill?

Tab  (1000+ posts)        Mon Dec-29-08 08:14 AM
Response to Original message

1. First, for juicy...

use 80% meat, 85% at very most. 90% is too dry, 70% will just flame out.

I like to mix mine with salt and pepper. If you really want to get into it, make the burger, then make a slit and shove in a pat of butter and reclose.

Never, never, NEVER squish the burger to get it to hurry up and cook.

I like mine medium rare; I don't measure temps anymore, but if I was, I'd be going for about 130 to 135, then take it off and let it sit for a few minutes. The temp will rise to 135 to 140 (it continues to cook after you remove it) - also the juices will redistribute.

No no no no no no no no.

No, not at all.

And the diet soda primitive should know this stuff, given all the ailments that afflict the diet soda primitive.

One must squish the burgers, so as to get all that grease and calories and fat drained out of it.

I have no idea why the primitives are calling grease "juice."

It's grease, and one wants to get as much of it out as possible.

It's grease.

Grease kills; grease kills the heart, the arteries, the kidneys, the slim waistline.

wildflower  (1000+ posts)      Mon Dec-29-08 07:59 PM
Response to Reply #1

6. Guilty of squishing here

I stand over it and squish it to death, in fact.  Thank you for the tip!

I would forget the tip, and continue to squish to death.

Grease kills.

One wants those suckers dry.

hippywife  (1000+ posts)      Mon Dec-29-08 01:04 PM

2. I would just make sure to follow the cooking temp instructions recommended for ground beef. Not sure what it is at the moment, but I think low and slow would get you a well done burger without a pink middle, and as long as you don't squish it, as Tab mentioned, the juices shouldn't be lost.

I would never follow his example of eating a burger anything but well done if it's from a commercial source. That's a good way to get sick or worse.

Tab  (1000+ posts)        Mon Dec-29-08 02:11 PM
Response to Reply #2

4. No burgers for you!!!

You're absolutely correct, though, that 160 (or 155 if pulled and let to rest) is the magic temp for killing bad stuff. The OP didn't specify how the burger should be cooked. Personally, I like mine medium rare and properly flavored.

Although you probably know this, not all do - the difference between cooking ground meat to 160 and solid (unground) meat to 140 is this - sickness is caused by unwanted material (specifically fecal matter) on the outside of the cut. On a steak, it doesn't matter, because you burn it off anyway. On ground meat, though, it gets ground, before cooking, thus you can have unwanted material on the INSIDE of the burger (sausage, hot dog, whatever), forcing you to bring the temp to 160 to kill it off.

I tend to buy meat from relatively clean vendors, and haven't had a problem, but if your source of meat is ever suspect, go to 160. I personally like medium rare, and will go out of my way to get meat that I can cook the way that I want.

And because the diet soda primitive likes grease in his burgers, it's no wonder the diet soda primitive's afflicted with a world of woes, all those afflictions.

hippywife  (1000+ posts)      Mon Dec-29-08 07:04 PM
Response to Reply #4

5. Nice post, burger nazi!

And yes that is what the problem is. Burger is almost always contaminated so if it's from the grocery or sourced to one of the large corporate meatpackers, just always assume that it has to be cooked well done. But then I don't care to eat well done fecal matter, either.

Kali  (1000+ posts)      Mon Dec-29-08 01:08 PM

3. 160 for most meat

I think it is a tad highter for ground beef

Juicy is more easily attained by higher fat content.

I've seen self-posted photographs allegedly of the Kali primitive--not to be confused with the bitter old woman in Vermont, the 0bamaite cali primitive---and the Kali primitive doesn't look like a little bit of grease would hurt her, but given the "average" health and condition of the primitives in general, even a little bit of grease is too much for them.

flamin lib  (1000+ posts)        Tue Dec-30-08 11:08 AM

7. If you want a safe medium rare burger buy chuck roast and have the butcher grind it for you. The contamination in ground meat comes from the processing plant where everything left over from the large cuts goes into the grinder. It's not possible to keep extraneous "stuff" (as in stuff happens) out of the mix.

Chuck is 80-85% lean, 'bout perfect for burgers.

By the way, does anybody by any chance remember when "grease" was replaced by the politically-correct "juice"?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

Re: primitives discuss hamburger
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 01:14:53 PM »
I remember those Wendy's commercials always referring to their burgers as "hot and juicy".  I'm with you on this one, I like lean ground chuck and flatten the patty while it's cooking. I also use an old heavy duty spatula with wooden handle, not one of the flimsy plastic ones.

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 01:28:15 PM »
I wonder if the diet soda DUmmy would squish one of these......

« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 01:30:40 PM by Atomic Lib Smasher »

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Zeus

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 02:00:24 PM »
With the right Hamburger, not grease burger, no need to "flatten" the burger to get the grease out. If you use thre correct heat temp the grease seeps out on it's own..
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 02:09:08 PM »
With the right Hamburger, not grease burger, no need to "flatten" the burger to get the grease out. If you use thre correct heat temp the grease seeps out on it's own..

But some of us tend to be impatient.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Zeus

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 02:24:21 PM »
But some of us tend to be impatient.

That doesn't make your burger cook faster, just flatter.  :innocent:
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 02:33:36 PM »

The thinner the burger, and the larger surface area would allow for a higher rate of heat transfer to the burger, thus letting it cook and get done faster.  :tongue:

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 02:39:52 PM »

Me, I was born and raised in the state that produces the best beef in the world.

Beef raised in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas ends up as 19-cent jerky sticks in convenience stores.

Beef raised in Montana, South Dakota, North Dakota, and Colorado ends up in Big Macs.

Beef raised in Nebraska ends up being packaged in fancy boxes and shipped all over the world.

I grew up on this stuff, and it was too much; t-bones and sirloin just about every day, some days more than once.  It was of course good, but it was just too much.

I suspect that's what converted me, after I was orphanized and on my own, and had to make my own decisions about food, to being a dairy-and-poultry man.

Don't get me wrong; my heart and my mouth's with the fine beef producers of Nebraska.....but my checkbook's with the dairy and poultry producers of Nebraska.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Zeus

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 02:58:48 PM »
Me, I was born and raised in the state that produces the best beef in the world.

Beef raised in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas ends up as 19-cent jerky sticks in convenience stores.

Beef raised in Montana, South Dakota, North Dakota, and Colorado ends up in Big Macs.

Beef raised in Nebraska ends up being packaged in fancy boxes and shipped all over the world.

I grew up on this stuff, and it was too much; t-bones and sirloin just about every day, some days more than once.  It was of course good, but it was just too much.

I suspect that's what converted me, after I was orphanized and on my own, and had to make my own decisions about food, to being a dairy-and-poultry man.

Don't get me wrong; my heart and my mouth's with the fine beef producers of Nebraska.....but my checkbook's with the dairy and poultry producers of Nebraska.

If it ain't meat n Tatters it ain't supper.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 06:40:26 AM »

While not anywhere near as large as that ... monster ...

This thing is what is known as a "Mount Molloy Burger"

Good chewin'.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 12:20:49 PM »
what's in that thing?

personally....I love raw hamburger.... :drool:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 08:05:41 PM »

That burger looks like it would squish back.

I've spend over a decade in restaurants and kitchens.  You NEVER squish a burger.  It doesn't cook faster, it just dries out.  If you want your burger well-done, cook it longer. 

Some states won't allow you to cook/sell ground beef at less than medium (145° I think).  Personally, if I have a nice, big burger I like it well-done with a crust on the outside.  Tennessee used to be able to sell cooked ground beef at any temperature and one place I worked sold chopped steak in varying sizes -- the largest one was a 9 oz. patty.  We used to get a guy that would come in every Friday and order one cooked rare.  I wanted to put a spoon on the plate instead of the usual steak knife.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 11:15:28 AM »
The best burgers I have ever made were made from midwest steer meat (not retired dairy cows like some fast food joints use that comes frozen). It was 78% ground chuck/loin mix and 12% trimmings...

Each puck of ground steak was was pressed out on a 475 grill...as soon as it was seared...it was flipped (Only Once!) and moved to a cooler part of the grill (350) to finish cooking. A 2.5 oz patty should just take about 60 to 90 seconds to cook, a 5 oz patty around 3 minutes....

Don't press out the juices!

Frank you are killing me!  :-)

If you want jerky, buy jerky, don't make it out of ground beef!  :lmao:

I have cooked thousands of burgers this way. Trust me.  :-)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 11:21:33 AM »
Well I love medium rare hamburgers and Alton Brown said NOT to squish the burger.  I believe it was Alton who also said to have more fat in hamburger meat if you want it to be more juicy.  Since I rarely eat hamburgers I don't think a medium rare hamburger full of fat will kill me.   My motto is eat everything in moderation and you will be fine. 

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 12:40:17 PM »
Well I love medium rare hamburgers and Alton Brown said NOT to squish the burger.  I believe it was Alton who also said to have more fat in hamburger meat if you want it to be more juicy.  Since I rarely eat hamburgers I don't think a medium rare hamburger full of fat will kill me.   My motto is eat everything in moderation and you will be fine. 

Exactly! We had burgers and fries last night..................bacon cheese burgers.... :drool:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 12:53:13 PM »

Exactly! We had burgers and fries last night..................bacon cheese burgers.... :drool:

Approximately once a year (sometimes not even that often) my husband makes some monstrosity called "Bacon Burger Dogs".  I'm sure you can use your imagination to visualize what they look like.  I have never even tried one, the thought of it makes me want to gag.

Oh I just googled it and found a few pictures.  I'll post one to show you.  Yes there is a hotdog inside of the hamburger and bacon.  :puke:

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 02:36:22 PM »
Damn, that looks good.  :drool:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 12:05:13 AM »
I like hamburgers.

I like hot dogs.

I like bacon.

I don't want any combination of any of them.

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 12:20:05 AM »
I like hamburgers.

I like hot dogs.

I like bacon.

I don't want any combination of any of them.

My standard 'burger has the beef patty, bacon , egg , cheese , sauce , and some salad type stuff on it.