Author Topic: computer problem  (Read 7801 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: computer problem
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 02:02:13 PM »
It's on the Start menu (I just press the Windows key and R at the same time).
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 02:05:13 PM »
Okay, so I get that, a little black screen with white print.

It says "C:/Documents and Settings /TEMP>" with a blinking little line the next character.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2012, 02:13:40 PM »
Okay, so I get that, a little black screen with white print.

It says "C:/Documents and Settings /TEMP>" with a blinking little line the next character.
Ouch.

Yes, your user profile is definitely corrupt.  Normally that TEMP should be the name of your computer.  Since your user profile is not loading correctly, the system created a temporary one.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »
Okay then, I suppose no great loss, can I just forget about that and start anew?

How do I create a new user profile?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2012, 02:16:34 PM »
You should be able to use the Control Panel to create a new user. 

You can either attempt to fix the problem or install a new hard drive.  Personally, I think the easiest thing to do at this point is to set up a new hard drive on that computer while keeping the current one accessible as a second drive.

I have extra hard drives lying around I can ship to you so you don't have to buy one.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2012, 02:16:55 PM »
before you do any tinkering attempt a system restore.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM »
before you do any tinkering attempt a system restore.

How does one do that?

The reason I'm concerned is because the computer I had before this one was an old library computer with an "administrator," and I couldn't save anything on it, from "favorites" to documents.  Every time I turned it on it started out with a clean slate.  It worked okay and all that, but nothing could be saved.

And now this looks as if I'm in the same boat.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »

You can either attempt to fix the problem or install a new hard drive.  Personally, I think the easiest thing to do at this point is to set up a new hard drive on that computer while keeping the current one accessible as a second drive.

I have extra hard drives lying around I can ship to you so you don't have to buy one.

Lemme think about that.

It just may be easier to look around for a new used computer; I dunno.

This works when it's on, but it doesn't "save" anything.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2012, 02:23:35 PM »

Okay, I just did that.  It now has me as an "administrator."
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Zeus

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2012, 02:24:34 PM »
How does one do that?

The reason I'm concerned is because the computer I had before this one was an old library computer with an "administrator," and I couldn't save anything on it, from "favorites" to documents.  Every time I turned it on it started out with a clean slate.  It worked okay and all that, but nothing could be saved.

And now this looks as if I'm in the same boat.

System restore just restores all your settings to a previous date. you can let the puter pick a date or you pick a date. System restore  can be located by clicking start the type system restore in the search box.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2012, 02:31:57 PM »
System restore just restores all your settings to a previous date. you can let the puter pick a date or you pick a date. System restore  can be located by clicking start the type system restore in the search box.

Okay, so I typed in "start" on "search" from the control panel.

It found 45 files.  Now what?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Zeus

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2012, 02:37:58 PM »
Okay, so I typed in "start" on "search" from the control panel.

It found 45 files.  Now what?

No no no click on start ,see the search box,type in "system restore".with out the qoutes. That should bring up s the system restore exe file. Clicking on that should open system restore.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2012, 02:43:38 PM »
This is what I get.

System Restore C:/Documents and Settings/All Users 2KB Shortcut 5/12/2012 2:41 PM

So I click on System Restore, and it tells me that nothing exists before this afternoon.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Zeus

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2012, 02:50:57 PM »
This is what I get.

So I click on System Restore, and it tells me that nothing exists before this afternoon.

Then you are screwed unless you computer did a backup when you changed the battery and the file is on your HD somewhere. type in todays date in the search box and see what you get, look for a file with .BAK designation.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2012, 02:56:12 PM »
Then you are screwed unless you computer did a backup when you changed the battery and the file is on your HD somewhere. type in todays date in the search box and see what you get, look for a file with .BAK designation.

Well, it looks like I'm screwed.

I tried all sorts of variations for May 12, 2012, and came up blank.

I also tried all sorts of variations for May 11, 2012, and came up blank.

Things such as "May 12, 2012," "May 12 2012," "05-12-2012," "05-12-12," and somesuch.

Damn.

I'm going to take the rest of this afternoon off.

Damn.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2012, 06:09:02 PM »
As of Monday evening, the status is this:

I created a new administrator file, and using that, the computer does in fact "save" things (passwords and documents). 

It's no longer like a library computer where, when one shuts it down, everything is erased and one goes back to the original "nothing here" settings.

The old administrator file, which holds all my stuff, is still there, because when I right-click on properties on the C-drive, it shows about the same amount of "space used" and "free space."

I got this personal message:

Open My Computer and browse to C:\Documents and Settings.  You should see your old profile with all your documents and bookmarks.

I must be dense; there's an absent piece of information here, at least as far as I know.

I open "My Computer."  Okay, fine.

But there's nothing there to indicate how one "browses to".
apres moi, le deluge

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2012, 06:29:23 PM »
Browse to means you when you double click "My Computer" , you'll have a list of things show up. One of which will be "C:" double click the "C : " - You are now "browsing" the contents of "C :" - then double click the folder that says "Documents and Settings" - you are now browsing that.

Under "Documents and Settings " there should be several more folders - one will be "All Users" - one "Administrator" - and several others like for example "Franksolich".

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2012, 06:39:37 PM »
Browse to means you when you double click "My Computer" , you'll have a list of things show up. One of which will be "C:" double click the "C : " - You are now "browsing" the contents of "C :" - then double click the folder that says "Documents and Settings" - you are now browsing that.

Under "Documents and Settings " there should be several more folders - one will be "All Users" - one "Administrator" - and several others like for example "Franksolich".

Wow.  You're right.

Thank you.  I got caught up on the word "browse."

It all shows under the administrator file (I got this computer from TVDOC some years ago; when he set it up, he set it up using "administrator" for the administrator file.  The second administrator file, the one I created and am currently on, is under another name).

It's all there, everything that used to be here.

I'm brain-dead, tired, worn out, at the moment, but I'd like advice to use when I transfer stuff from the original administrator file to the new administrator file; it's nearly all scans of family photographs (thousands) and Microsoft Word documents (hundreds).  I'll need to know how to transfer, and importantly, how to ensure I'm not transferring a corrupted file from there.

I'll work on this after Tuesday, after the big guy's showing at the polls in Bellevue.

Thank you, LC EFA!

apres moi, le deluge