Author Topic: Holy CRAP!!  (Read 7910 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Holy CRAP!!
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 10:40:16 PM »
Nope, never. I even leave my cases open half the time.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline thundley4

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2010, 10:44:35 PM »

You mean you're not supposed to do that?

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2010, 09:27:41 AM »

Case closed, use to think it was a cheap power supply causing AM radio interference but I have since come to believe it is the AMD processor ( changed the PS to a Mad Dog ).  Of course that may not be the problem either, could be something else on the board.  It is computer generated because it goes away when the computer is off.  Just wondering.
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2010, 12:30:13 PM »
Anyone ever have RF issues with AMD's?

Nope....my Athlon machine sits within three feet of a very sensitive ham radio tranceiver, and there is no RF noise from the computer anywhere from .5 to 35 mHz......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2010, 12:56:33 PM »
Ohh, geeze, AM RFI ?? You've GOT to be shitting me. I don't even know where to start on things that can cause RFI with AM radio. Hell, just the electrical wiring of one's house can be a beginning.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2010, 04:02:04 PM »
Ohh, geeze, AM RFI ?? You've GOT to be shitting me. I don't even know where to start on things that can cause RFI with AM radio. Hell, just the electrical wiring of one's house can be a beginning.

Well yeah, AM, but it isn't a problem since Rush is now on an FM station here.  Funny thing is it did it on the car radio in the drive and the house when the AMD unit was on went away when the unit was off. Coincidence or correlation?  Who knows.

My other great electronics mystery involved a keyless auto entry system.  I suspect that was a wireless dog fence next door but the problem has self resolved.  Next time the neighbor is out I will have to ask if they stopped running the fence.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2010, 05:06:48 PM »
When I lived up in MN, I couldn't get but one AM station in my vehicle at the house and I wasn't that far out of the metro area. We won't even discuss the stereo I had in the house. Walls, trees, bridges, electrical lines, sunspots, solar flares, day time vs nighttime, all impact AM radio.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2010, 01:04:38 AM »
Since it goes away when the 'puter is off, could be the motherboard. Sounds like a leaking capacitor. Coupla years ago they had a real influx of below grade caps causing all kinds of problems. Some of them even busted at the seams and leaked goo all over the place.
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2010, 08:35:47 AM »
Since it goes away when the 'puter is off, could be the motherboard. Sounds like a leaking capacitor. Coupla years ago they had a real influx of below grade caps causing all kinds of problems. Some of them even busted at the seams and leaked goo all over the place.

How well I remember "blown caps"  I bet I even have a couple in my junk draw that I used to show people when explaining why their computer was going to go away for a little R/R with Mr. Soldering Iron.  Series it cause me a lot of grief back in the day.
We replaced blown caps on many many machines.  In a network environmemt it gets to be a real pain when you have hard addresses, can't just swap machines.....ohhhhhhhh it makes my head hurt even thinking about it.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2010, 10:53:21 AM »
How well I remember "blown caps"  I bet I even have a couple in my junk draw that I used to show people when explaining why their computer was going to go away for a little R/R with Mr. Soldering Iron.  Series it cause me a lot of grief back in the day.
We replaced blown caps on many many machines.  In a network environmemt it gets to be a real pain when you have hard addresses, can't just swap machines.....ohhhhhhhh it makes my head hurt even thinking about it.

Yep, if you were unfortunate enough to get a hold of one of those motherboards, it was an IT frikkin' nightmare! Rather than a soldering iron, we just chucked the boards and went with brand names. Learned a lesson on being cheap!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2010, 05:55:30 PM »
Yep, if you were unfortunate enough to get a hold of one of those motherboards, it was an IT frikkin' nightmare! Rather than a soldering iron, we just chucked the boards and went with brand names. Learned a lesson on being cheap!

My uncle sam liked low bid. :hammer:

Offline thundley4

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2010, 06:19:57 PM »
My uncle sam liked low bid. :hammer:

As long as the proper kick backs and pork were involved, right?

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2010, 07:15:55 PM »
As long as the proper kick backs and pork were involved, right?

I like to think of secret handshakes, social promotions, nepotism, upward mobility, an just plain old fashioned incompentnce fully covered by the union label ( or was that Black Label ) added into the mix as well.   But then if it was easy everyone would do it. Never get me started on Laptops and bureacrats.  Couldn't get the most productive admin assistant a workstation but if a Jefe Grande showed up with a better laptop, Katie bar the door, the Unter Fuhrers all had to have exactly the same, yesterday or sooner.   :-)

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2010, 07:29:59 PM »

HP and packard bell seem got a big batch of motherboards with those caps on them.

I replaced well more than 100 mainboards in a 6 month period for this fault alone (some were multiple repeat offenders before they figured that their spares had the same caps on them).

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2010, 11:27:28 PM »
I still haven't made the jump yet to purchase the parts. I already have the case, so that's one thing out of the way. Processor, mobo, and RAM are coming up to just under $350. Then I need another DVD +/- RW, a power supply and a hard drive to get started. Perhaps at the first of the month, I dunno. Doctor bills are killing me right at the moment.