Author Topic: Well, it has finally been verified...  (Read 596 times)

Offline CC27

Well, it has finally been verified...
« on: December 06, 2022, 07:53:18 AM »
PCIntern (23,041 posts)

I’ll make a short story long…

When I began taking Latin in eighth grade for five long years, the Latin teacher, who was a brilliant Oxford/Cambridge university graduate,a British citizen, began each year by saying that when he was in his equivalent of junior high and high school classes everyone was required to take Latin and Greek as well if you wanted to go into any form of literature or humanities scholarship as a career.

There were five students in our class which grew to nine the following year, and then slowly drifted down to about six at the end of my final year. His contention all along was that America was deliberately beginning to Withhold education from its students so that classical education would become a thing of the past, and there would be much more focus on popular entertainment and sports.( Interestingly, he was a first class soccer player and coached our school team, which was a comprised of a bunch of ragtag non-athletes including yours truly to soundly beat powerhouse private schools in the Philadelphia area) .

Of course, this is become known as “dumbing down” of the populace. This morning on Morning Joe, there was a long discussion about the new chip factory opening up in Phoenix, which is owned by a Taiwanese company, and one of the issues apparently in America is that we do not have people who have the necessary education to manage and or supervise These installations. Our graduates from engineering schools are apparently not prepared to enter the cutting edge technologies of modern day manufacturing. They noted that the ship produced in 1956, which was approximately 1“ x 1/2“ compared with the same size chip produced today would require 58 billion (that’s BILLION with a B)of the old chips to make the equivalent computing power of one of the new chips. The progress of science, engineering, and manufacturing in 60+ years is beyond staggering and equally staggering is the fact that I grew up in a country which at least claimed to have the greatest minds in the world l for creativity in these fields and now we are second or third world in this regard.

Well, it worked. We are in a lot of trouble. I will leave you with one last thought today, and that is my civics teacher in grade school, and this was 1965, said that the definition of a colony was that of a territory which exports raw materials and imports finished goods. Well, here we are.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100217436623

The point of this garbage is what??

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
Re: Well, it has finally been verified...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 08:07:01 AM »

Trumps fault, that's what..
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 08:55:42 AM »
Of course, this is become known as “dumbing down” of the populace. This morning on Morning Joe 1, there was a long discussion about the new chip factory opening up in Phoenix 2 a & b & c, which is owned by a Taiwanese company, and one of the issues apparently in America is that we do not have people who have the necessary education to manage and or supervise These installations. Our graduates from engineering schools are apparently not prepared to enter the cutting edge technologies of modern day manufacturing. They noted that the ship produced in 1956 3, which was approximately 1“ x 1/2“ compared with the same size chip produced today would require 58 billion (that’s BILLION with a B)of the old chips to make the equivalent computing power of one of the new chips. The progress of science, engineering, and manufacturing in 60+ years is beyond staggering and equally staggering is the fact that I grew up in a country which at least claimed to have the greatest minds in the world l for creativity in these fields and now we are second or third world in this regard 4 5.

1 The source explains the ignorance in the quote. :rotf:

2 a It's in Chandler, not Phoenix. The city of Tempe is between Phoenix and Chandler.

2 b TMSC is an IC manufacturer, not an IC designer. They manufacture what other companies design.

2 c Had Marionette or PCIntern bothered to do minimal research, they would have learned that Intel is also expanding their facility in Chandler, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/newsroom/news/intel-breaks-ground-two-new-leading-edge-chip-factories-arizona.html . Intel is an IC design company, engaged with American company AMD in the computer processor equivalent of the Space Race.

3 The first hybrid integrated circuit was created in 1958 (Jack Kilby of Texas Instruments). A hybrid integrated circuit is discrete components and interconnections on a substrate within a single package. The first monolithic integrated circuit (a circuit, including interconnections, diffused and printed onto a silicon die) was created in 1960 (Robert Noyce of Fairchild Semiconductor). These were not anywhere near being computers.

I doubt that Marionette or PCIntern know or understand this, but Fairchild Camera and Instruments made analog ICs, not the digital ICs used in computers. I doubt that Marionette or PCIntern know this, but Texas Instruments is still around and is one of the largest IC design and manufacturing companies in the world.

4 American semiconductor companies like Intel, AMD, Texas Instruments, ON Semiconductor Corporation, and Analog Devices would dispute this ridiculous claim.

5 The above said, conservatives and libertarians have been sounding alarms about the dumbing down of education in the US since at least the 1980s, with early alarms sounded in the 1950s (e.g. the book Why Johnny Can't Read). One of the biggest concerns among homeschooling parents is academic quality in public schools (it was our primary concern when we started researching and started homeschooling in the mid 1980s). It was Libs and Progs who denied and denounced the idea that public schools were being dumbed down. It was Libs and Progs who denounced - and still do - private schools as racist and elitist. It was Libs and Progs who denounced - and still do - homeschooling as Pretext of the Year Here.. IOW, Libs & Progs have for 4+ decades denied the problem and attacked people who take action to bypass and to try to correct the problem.

Hey DU-folk! You have defended the problem!

:ownit:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 09:25:38 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 08:59:20 AM »
All it takes is a quick perusal of DU to see the DUmbing down...or perhaps more properly, the DUmmying down, of America.

OTOH, not everyone has trouble with the differences between and the definition of...Man and Woman.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 09:16:23 AM by CollectivismMustDie »
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2022, 09:01:20 AM »

Of course, this is become known as “dumbing down” of the populace. This morning on Morning Joe, there was a long discussion about the new chip factory opening up in Phoenix, which is owned by a Taiwanese company, and one of the issues apparently in America is that we do not have people who have the necessary education to manage and or supervise These installations. Our graduates from engineering schools are apparently not prepared to enter the cutting edge technologies of modern day manufacturing. They noted that the ship produced in 1956, which was approximately 1“ x 1/2“ compared with the same size chip produced today would require 58 billion (that’s BILLION with a B)of the old chips to make the equivalent computing power of one of the new chips. The progress of science, engineering, and manufacturing in 60+ years is beyond staggering and equally staggering is the fact that I grew up in a country which at least claimed to have the greatest minds in the world l for creativity in these fields and now we are second or third world in this regard.

Well, let's see.

Teachers nowadays (far left teachers) are more concerned with pronouns, gender fluidity, trans-genderism and teaching their own sexual identity than they are teaching kids math, science and other subjects which would help the kids to learn the stuff the author is complaining they don't know, but I'm equally sure the author applauds what is being taught now.

Get what you want, then complain the kids can't compete (without a thought as to why they can't).

Liberalism is a mental disease.
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 09:56:12 AM »

**** off, DUmmy. Education has been gutted by the NEA and by liberals for decades, and now wokeness is being used as a new battering ram against all reason. The nuclear family is becoming almost extinct, which is a requirement for children to learn effectively. You are getting exactly what you asked for, in spades. Parents who care about their children will see that they're educated, and losers who are on World Star for ripping up fast food joints and mass shoplifting jaunts get what they get.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 11:14:12 AM »
No surprise that their utter lack of self awareness is breathtaking.

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2022, 11:15:17 AM »
So many missed points there.

As others keep saying, our education system sucks because of the Left, first with social promotion (which hurts their widdle feewings more, being held back a grade to get up to par or graduating without the language skills to write "anything helps" on a piece of cardboard?) later abusing Bush I's less-than-impressive-to-begin-with No Child Left Behind plan to overtake education in the traditional way, controlling the money, and now, focusing on the wokeness, the LGBTQXYZWTF agendas, the racism against all things white (which many moonbats would say includes those Greek and Latin languages referenced in the story), the soft racism of low expectations ect. 

Then to claim we are a colony cause we are "exporting raw materials and importing finished goods"? Again, the left works very hard to keep us from exporting actual raw materials, of which computer chips are not.  Oil, lumber, anything mined from the earth are all evil in the eyes of the moonbat, and Biden keeps campaigning for a war on fossil fuels.

PCIntern a prime example of the failure of our education system if they are spewing such gobbldygook and think they are saying anything intelligent. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2022, 12:28:00 PM »
Since the average age of DU-folk, apparently, is mid 60s, more than half of them were in school in the 50s-70s, when the dumbing down of education was barely getting started (FWIW, most of my school years were in the 60s, though my, IMO, critically important first three grades were in a parochial school). IOW, dumbed down education is not much of a cause of their DUmbness. Their DUmbness is mostly a path of their own choosing.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2022, 12:37:30 PM »
Right conclusion, wrong path.  Everything in the post is wrong but the conclusion we are not educated is correct.

Two Words: 
TEACHERS'
UNIONS

Two more words:
PROGRESSIVE
PROFESSORS

Those 2 sets of words define the current state of education in the USA while also describing why it has failed so spectacularly.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2022, 01:36:54 PM »
IMO, the start of the dumbing down of public education came (a century ago?) when teachers colleges (aka "normal schools", IIRC) started jumping on trendy "education" stuff, imagining the trends had to be better than what had worked for centuries. Once on the trends bandwagon, every new trendy stupidity was almost guaranteed acceptance. "Look-Say", then "New Math", then psychological games to undermine morals, then Common Core, then CRT then ...

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2022, 02:22:38 PM »
As for their own role in the dumbing down and ruination of our education system, dems are like...

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2022, 02:31:01 PM »
1. Channel one indoctrination in all the classrooms
2. Ozone layer
3. Debate over plastic vs. Paper bags and deforestation
4. 70s new ice age panic
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2022, 02:32:45 PM »

too much botox

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2022, 05:42:12 PM »
I stopped at:

PCIntern (23,041 posts)

I’ll make a short story long…

Because I damn well know, that aint the case with that Muppet.