Author Topic: Gubernatorial Race in Texas  (Read 592 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Gubernatorial Race in Texas
« on: September 24, 2022, 05:28:18 AM »
I'm mostly interested in the opinions of those CC'ers who live in Texas. They're closest to the general mood of this election and while the rest of us who live elsewhere may have an opinion if we lived in Texas, we don't. So our opinions don't mean much.

Most everybody on this board knows that Robert Francis is an idiot. But he's an idiot with a lot of money -- most of it coming from out of state (sorta in the same vein as that other idiot in Georgia, Stacy Abrams). And Robert Francis came disturbingly close to ousting Cruz from the Senate in 2018 -- he was short only 220K votes out of 8.3 million cast.

Abbott should be taking a serious beating after the electric grid debacle in early 2021. Not sure what Abbott has done to clean that up. Would appreciate some commentary on that by people who know.

Abbott has been focusing on the border crisis, of course. Definitely an issue that needs his full attention, but politics is cruel. There are other issues he needs to attend to, so over all, I'm curious as to the mood in Texas at present, a little over a month before the 2022 elections.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Re: Gubernatorial Race in Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 09:56:42 AM »
The electrical debacle want a fault of Abbott and I think they’ve done a good job getting that message out, much to the dismay of the democrats.

He’s doing well on border issues and even has some democrats backing him.

He’s going far better from a general law enforcement stand than Francis.

What I’m seeing in my conservative neck of the woods is an Abbott win.

Even when I travel to blue Houston every week I see people fed up with what’s going on. Look up the Lina Hidalgo debacle, for kicks.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 11:06:59 AM »
The electrical debacle want a fault of Abbott and I think they’ve done a good job getting that message out, much to the dismay of the democrats.

He’s doing well on border issues and even has some democrats backing him.

He’s going far better from a general law enforcement stand than Francis.

What I’m seeing in my conservative neck of the woods is an Abbott win.

Even when I travel to blue Houston every week I see people fed up with what’s going on. Look up the Lina Hidalgo debacle, for kicks.

KC

This story seems to put the onus on the legislature, vis a vis the electrical grid/ERCOT issue. The general health of the grid appears to be shaky, however, and regardless how it's spun, if the grid collapses (not likely at this time of year), Abbott most certainly will take a political beating.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidblackmon/2022/07/17/why-everyone-is-talking-about-the-texas-electric-grid/?sh=63f973aaa2f7

But your comments are noted -- thanks, KC. The only on-the-ground information I'm getting otherwise is from my stepson who lives in Austin. He's a Bernie bot, which should tell you everything.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 10:48:31 PM »
Beto's interruption of Abbott's Uvalde press-conference is an albatross that Beto is regretting.

Only thing worse than having no solutions is starring in whiny sound-bytes and having no solutions.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 06:01:40 AM »
Beto's interruption of Abbott's Uvalde press-conference is an albatross that Beto is regretting.

Only thing worse than having no solutions is starring in whiny sound-bytes and having no solutions.

Good point. Robert Francis went in to make political hay and wound up looking like the tapered turd he is.

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2022, 07:47:12 AM »
Polls I see say Abbott has a considerable lead over Robert Francis.  Area radio hosts indicate Abbott will probably hold onto his seat, usually with a caveat that all conservative/republicans make sure to get out and vote to make sure it happens. 

If I was a DUmp-monkey, I'd make up a story about how I converted a dozen random people driving Beto-sticker covered Teslas to vote for Abbott and save Texas, but I talk very little politics IRL.
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.