Author Topic: Rockhead - Government Jurisdictions vs. HOAs.  (Read 271 times)

Offline RuralNc

Rockhead - Government Jurisdictions vs. HOAs.
« on: June 27, 2022, 03:20:50 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216857228

MineralMan (143,971 posts)

Government Jurisdictions vs. HOAs.

Some Homeowner's Associations like to think of themselves as groups that are equivalent to local government. Horror stories abound, but there is a distinct different between the two things.

An HOA is an organization made up of the joint owners of a condominium property. Each owner of a unit in that property owns the interior of their unit outright, along with a share in the rest of the property that is owned communally. That distinction is often not well recognized and elected HOA boards, along with property management firms hired by those boards, often think of themselves as the "rulers" of the association. They are not, of course. They are elected to that board by the people who own property in common to the development.

A year ago, my wife and I bought a townhome in a small development made up of eight quad structures.

Yes Rockhead. Everybody knows this. In every moronic post you mention this. How you were in no hurry to sell the other place. Blah Blah Blah... waiting on your new top of the line stove... blah blah blah...

There are 32 properties in the development. The HOA retains a property management firm to deal with the day to day management of the development. As in some other condominium property, that property management firm in our case also manages several large apartment buildings. The property manager assigned to our development occasionally slips and refers to the owners in the development as "tenants."

So, someone ran into one of the cluster mailboxes in our development. The car knocked the mailbox over. The mailbox is the responsibility of the HOA. The USPS does not own those mailboxes, although they must meet exacting requirements. So, the mailbox was lying on the ground. I notified the property manager and asked when we could expect it to be repaired and back in place. I pointed out on Friday that it was the HOA's responsibility.

In a return email, the property manage told me that it would be fixed "sometime next week."

So, I did some research and discovered that the broken pedestal for our 16-box mailbox cluster was a standard item. I found one in stock at a building supply business in the local area and sent the property manager another email. I explained that the USPS would not deliver any mail to those 16 units until the box was repaired. I explained further that the OWNERS of those units could have medical prescriptions coming, along with end of the month bills. I put a link in my email to the supply company that had the pedestal in stock and suggested that "sometime next week" was not acceptable.

So, this morning, two guys were there, installing the new pedestal. Within an hour, the mailbox was back in place, so mail delivery will resume this afternoon. I got an email in reply to mine as the work was going on. "Thanks for your information," it said. I am confident that had I not looked up a source for the pedestal that it would not have been fixed until "sometime next week."

I've always resisted living where an HOA existed, but I do now. We are not tenants. We are the collective owners of the development, according to my deed. The property management firm works FOR us. Sometimes it is necessary to remind such folks of the reality of the relationship.

The Moral of the Story

Now, if we could do the same with our local governments. That, however, can be somewhat more complicated. But still, we elect them as well and hire them to look after our interests. Perhaps we need to remember that more clearly. We are not "subjects." We are not "tenants." We are the owners. Governments are hired by us to do things. At all levels of government. Sometimes, they need a reminder of that reality. We should not be afraid of making that clear from time to time.

Full disclosure. I personally own some rental property. I have great tenants.

I would do everything in my power to evict this condescending asshole as fast as possible. For absolutely any reason I could conjure up.

Offline 67 Rover

Re: Rockhead - Government Jurisdictions vs. HOAs.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 03:34:55 PM »
Cliffnote version.

First of the month is coming and we will not get our welfare checks if that mail box is not fixed.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 04:04:04 PM »
Sounds like Rockhead will get his wish come November when a whole bunch of people express how little they think of Cap’n Dementia and crew.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 05:32:09 PM »
As of now, 306 views, no replies.

Are the mutts boring of Rockhead?  :loser:

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 06:08:05 PM »
As of now, 306 views, no replies.

Are the mutts boring of Rockhead?  :loser:

Rockhead is such a condescending douche, not nearly as arrogant as "The Magistrate" but getting close. He/she/it constantly makes posts written as if he's explaining to a 4 year old how to tie their shoes or brush their teeth. I'm getting a Cliff Clavin vibe off of him, the know it all but without the endearing charm of Cliff/John Ratzenberger.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 06:22:30 PM »
Guy knows next to nothing about CIDs (Common Interest Developments) which is the legal term for HOAs and the like.

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 08:06:37 PM »
Anyone familiar with this ghetto that Rockhead and the Misses lives at? In some posts he talks about it like its the latest and greatest. In other post, not so much.