Author Topic: Having just filled up my car with gas, I'm thinking about prices, so  (Read 1043 times)

Offline CC27

MineralMan (143,717 posts)

Having just filled up my car with gas, I'm thinking about prices, so

here's something about gas prices. Why are they so high? Well, there is the tax thing, which gives a clue as to why prices vary so much from state to state. But that's not why they are so high, overall.

They're high because the companies that produce gasoline realized that we're all expecting high prices for gasoline. Mostly due to the Ukraine invasion. But, as consumers, we have no idea how high those prices should be. So, the people at the oil companies simply test the marketplace by raising the price incrementally and see what what happens. If we keep buying, they jack wholesale prices up a little more, and then test again. Then they raise them some more, day after day and week after week.

The result is record profits for the oil companies. They like that, so they'll just keep raising prices as long as people keep gassing up their vehicles at a good pace.

It's that simple. If you want someone to blame, blame the oil companies and their profit-seeking ways. They're doing great right now, and the money is pouring in.

BTW, with my supermarket loyalty card discount at Holiday stations here in Minnesota, I paid $2.999 per gallon today.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216779095

Oil companies do not make the prices you ****ing moron.  Supply and demand.

Online ADsOutburst

Re: Having just filled up my car with gas, I'm thinking about prices, so
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 11:31:37 AM »
I see democrats are back to their old tricks, alternating between whatever reasons they can think of for whatever is going wrong.

It's the invasion! Actually, it's Trump supporters! No, wait! It's price gouging!

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 11:33:53 AM »
As opposed to petroleum refiner's profit margins, the far larger cut taken out of the cost of a gallon of gas is the cut going to the #GovernmentExtortionRacket in the form of state and federal gas taxes.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 11:40:11 AM »
I liked this one;

underpants (169,827 posts)

2. Great deal! Don't fill it up

Well at that price yes do but generally it’s better not to fill the tank. Okay if you are going on a long trip sure. Anyway, back to my point (and I do have one) gas weighs 6 pounds per gallon. Carrying gallons you don’t immediately need hurts mileage.

Follow me for more tips*

*with caveats

MineralMan (143,722 posts)

4. Typically, I fill up our cars once a month.

I'm not at all concerned with the weight of the fuel affecting my gas mileage. It's a tiny factor, and not worth even thinking about, really. One of our cars holds 12 gallons and the other has a 15-gallon capacity..

Since I only fill up once a month, the supermarket loyalty card discount, which is 5 cents a gallon for every $50 I spend at the supermarket, I can count on a good discount every time.

Freddie (8,135 posts)

6. The problem is most of us just can't stop buying gas

So they have us by the short hairs. Back in the “old days” competing gas stations would eventually start dropping the price to steal business from the competition, but now they’re all in cahoots and that’s not going to happen. I wish there was an easy answer.

To which pompous ass responds;

7. Drive less. That's the answer.

Carpool. Shop on a route that never backtracks. Stay home. Use whatever car you have that gets the best mileage and leave the other one parked. Take the bus. Ride your bike, scooter, or motorcycle. Walk, if possible. Order stuff online instead of shopping at multiple stores. Going out to dinner? Choose a nearby restaurant, rather than one a long way away. Order delivery meals.

Slow down and go light on the accelerator pedal. Drive like there's a raw egg under your foot. Take streets or roads with the least amount of traffic and go out in non rush-hour time periods if you can. Work from home if you can.

There are many ways to reduce costs. They're worth doing.

:rotf:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 12:04:49 PM »
I liked this one;

To which pompous ass responds;

:rotf:

KC

I know that daily there is idiocy posted publicly at the DUmp, but there seems to be an extra level of stupid today in the liberal acid floating around over there today in the Kool-Aid.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 12:27:08 PM »
And now you know how he earned the nickname “Rockhead”.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 12:32:05 PM »

4. Typically, I fill up our cars once a month.

I'm not at all concerned with the weight of the fuel affecting my gas mileage. It's a tiny factor, and not worth even thinking about, really. One of our cars holds 12 gallons and the other has a 15-gallon capacity..

Since I only fill up once a month, the supermarket loyalty card discount, which is 5 cents a gallon for every $50 I spend at the supermarket, I can count on a good discount every time.

I am calling a bouncy on this.   Idiot claimed he paid $2.99/gal at the supermarket with loyalty card. 5 cents off the price would be $3.05/gal.

No where in the United States is gas at $3.05 now under bidenflation. A quick Duck Duck Go search shows the lowest price for gas today is $4.40 in Georgia. 

0 bongs.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2022, 01:03:36 PM »

I am calling a bouncy on this.   Idiot claimed he paid $2.99/gal at the supermarket with loyalty card. 5 cents off the price would be $3.05/gal.

No where in the United States is gas at $3.05 now under bidenflation. A quick Duck Duck Go search shows the lowest price for gas today is $4.40 in Georgia. 

0 bongs.

“which is 5 cents a gallon for every $50 I spend at the supermarket”

In his horrible attempt at writing the English language, what’s he’s saying very poorly is if he spends $100 at the grocery store between his next trip to their gas pumps, he’ll get 10 cents off. $150 would get him 15 cents off.

Gas is $4.75 where I am. To get $3 gas, I would have to have spent $1750 at the grocery store between trips to that gas station to get the $1.75 per gallon discount. Such a deal. Almost $2000 in food to pay $1 more per gallon than you did during the Trump years. Genius.

Rockhead is what his name describes.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Karin

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2022, 01:10:42 PM »
^^ Yes, good analysis.  He saved up the grocery store points over several months so he could go brag at the DUmp.  We hit $5.00 in northern NY today. 

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2022, 02:42:29 PM »
“which is 5 cents a gallon for every $50 I spend at the supermarket”

In his horrible attempt at writing the English language, what’s he’s saying very poorly is if he spends $100 at the grocery store between his next trip to their gas pumps, he’ll get 10 cents off. $150 would get him 15 cents off.

Gas is $4.75 where I am. To get $3 gas, I would have to have spent $1750 at the grocery store between trips to that gas station to get the $1.75 per gallon discount. Such a deal. Almost $2000 in food to pay $1 more per gallon than you did during the Trump years. Genius.

Rockhead is what his name describes.

Most of those have a limit to how much you can get off per gallon, too.  Sounds like MM's proctologist found this story for him, unless it was discovered during a self examination.
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline Muddling 2

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2022, 02:46:36 PM »
As opposed to petroleum refiner's profit margins, the far larger cut taken out of the cost of a gallon of gas is the cut going to the #GovernmentExtortionRacket in the form of state and federal gas taxes.

Average motor vehicle weighs in about 3000 pounds, and some goober on DU thinks 120 pounds of gas is going to affect mileage?
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2022, 02:47:12 PM »
Most of those have a limit to how much you can get off per gallon, too.  Sounds like MM's proctologist found this story for him, unless it was discovered during a self examination.

Once again, RockHead has completely failed basic cost/benefit analysis. The old canard of "the more you spend, the more you save" is not a recent VRWC or Ultra Maga trick. Simple marketing to the stoopid which anyone can fall for.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2022, 03:45:46 PM »
Like I said in another thread, it's always someone elses fault when you're dealing with democrats and leftists.

Nothing is ever their fault, and nothing bad ever happens as a result of their policies.
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2022, 03:51:21 PM »
Hire a bunch of illegals to push!!

When I lived in Miami this was known as a Cuban carpool
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2022, 05:12:54 PM »
MineralMan (143,717 posts)

They're high because the companies that produce gasoline realized that we're all expecting high prices for gasoline. Mostly due to the Ukraine invasion.

That JUST happened in February, dumbass. Gas has been rising since January of last year.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2022, 08:02:01 PM »

Well at that price yes do but generally it’s better not to fill the tank. Okay if you are going on a long trip sure. Anyway, back to my point (and I do have one) gas weighs 6 pounds per gallon. Carrying gallons you don’t immediately need hurts mileage.

I took the motor out of my car.  Saved me 500 pounds. :naughty:

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2022, 09:10:46 PM »
Remember when gas prices were the fault of George W. Bush enriching the bank accounts of his oil baron buddies? Apparently the Democrats don’t remember either… isn’t it funny how short their memories are?…

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2022, 09:25:18 PM »

I have a car with a instant, on the fly mileage readout, and I watch it like a hawk. I do pen and paper calculations from time to time just to check it, too.

My car gets the same mileage near empty or full. Air conditioning, on the other hand...

This DUmmy is full of shit, and apparently doesn't know that gas tanks rust (like the brain of a DUmmy) if you don't fill them completely from time to time.
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2022, 11:04:03 PM »
I know that daily there is idiocy posted publicly at the DUmp, but there seems to be an extra level of stupid today in the liberal acid floating around over there today in the Kool-Aid.
"Wear a sweater" immediately came to mind
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2022, 02:25:10 PM »
"Wear a sweater" immediately came to mind
And who can forget those immortal words of Obie Wan Obama: Pump up your tires and get a tune up.?   :rotf:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2022, 02:47:01 PM »
Despite its higher price, one should buy 100% real gasoline rather than any gasoline laced with ethanol.

Back when I was working, I was getting 32 mpg on the former, and 24 mpg on the diluted gasoline.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2022, 03:40:26 PM »
This mfer right here is to blame, DUmbasses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsqI6sH0twU&feature=youtu.be
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Online ADsOutburst

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2022, 04:21:02 PM »
That JUST happened in February, dumbass. Gas has been rising since January of last year.

Bastard Putin is so evil he went back in time and raised prices.

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2022, 07:07:01 PM »
Bastard Putin is so evil he went back in time and raised prices.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TLQWGoysbgM
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline jukin

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2022, 10:08:14 AM »
Despite its higher price, one should buy 100% real gasoline rather than any gasoline laced with ethanol.

Back when I was working, I was getting 32 mpg on the former, and 24 mpg on the diluted gasoline.

Frank you are correct. I could go into detail about this but will gloss over ethanol and the bottom line it actually causes oil usage to go up... along with water, fertilizer... and destroys most engines and all small engines unless you put additives in.

A gallon of ethanol delivers about 75% of the energy of a gallon of real gas. To produce a a gallon of ethanol takes roughly a 1/4 gallon of oil from farm equipment, pumping water, tractors, harvesting, refining, removing waste...  Not to mention it is FOOD. Food for humans and food for our livestock food. It is a dumb idea and without government subsidizes increases the cost of blended gasoline making it more expensive per mile per gallon.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.