Author Topic: About Uvalde, I can't help but wonder...  (Read 287 times)

Offline CC27

About Uvalde, I can't help but wonder...
« on: May 31, 2022, 01:18:49 PM »
AmBlue (2,432 posts)

How much did deep-seated racism play a role in what happened there? I don't see this being discussed much. Granted, I've turned off much of the news coverage because it's so painful to watch, but for me this is the "elephant in the room." I did see Joy Reid speak about slow police response times in black and brown communities that POC are far too familiar with. But this goes beyond that. The egregious choice by law enforcement to arrest terrified parents and stand down while kids were being slaughtered-- this reeks of not only negligence and incompetence, but also of disdain and even malice. So my question is this: Did the police officers intentionally act with malice toward the children and families of this predominantly Latino community?

I am asking this because I've been to Uvalde. It is a beautiful, quiet little west Texas town. My ex-husband's family lived there since the late 1970s, and I was there in the 1980s. At that time, most service jobs, like restaurant servers, fast food workers, lawn service, etc., are filled by Mexicans. Business owners were predominantly white. As a white person visiting that town, my impression at that time was that it was an idyllically peaceful little town where most residents had lived for many years, even generations. Everywhere we went, people knew immediately that I was from out of town and asked my family members who I was. We went for drives in the beautiful hill country, and went tubing on the peaceful Frio River.

The one thing I found shocking about Uvalde back then was the casual, derogatory way that many of the white people I met there (including members of my own family) referred to people in the Mexican community, calling them "Mess-cans," or "dirty Mess-cans." It was very uncomfortable to me as I was raised in an urban area that is culturally more diverse and, at least the way I grew up, we were taught not to treat anyone that way. There were lots of older white men in those straw cowboy hats and you could sense that they were the "rulers" of that little town. They had a definite "strut" in the way they walked... chest out, thumb tucked under their belts.

So I'm curious if anyone here at DU is from Uvalde and has more recent experience and an informed opinion of this. Is there still a strong racist undercurrent in Uvalde today? Do you think it is possible that law enforcement acted with disdain and/or malice at Robb Elementary School?

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216749743

Uvalde is 80 percent Hispanic you demented fool.

Offline freedumb2003b

Re: About Uvalde, I can't help but wonder...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 01:37:24 PM »
Uvalde is 80 percent Hispanic you demented fool.

Hispanic "rounded up and whipped by CBP horsemen?" or Hispanic "George Zimmerman?"
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 03:12:22 PM »
AmBlue (2,432 posts)

How much did deep-seated racism play a role in what happened there? I don't see this being discussed much. Granted, I've turned off much of the news coverage because it's so painful to watch, but for me this is the "elephant in the room."

Then sit down and shut up cause you are lacking information to form any opinion.  Not that such lack of information ever stopped moonbats or proggies before.  Even if the Uvalde cops were sitting in the parking lot with their klan hoods on going over school enrollment lists and gauging the racial make up of those in the building based on the names they saw before deciding to go in, if you are not looking for information, you don't get to wonder anything.
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 03:44:47 PM »
Quote from:
The one thing I found shocking about Uvalde back then was the casual, derogatory way that many of the white people I met there (including members of my own family) referred to people in the Mexican community, calling them "Mess-cans," or "dirty Mess-cans."

This primitive either is completely unaware or is pretending to be so, because everyone knows Mexicans have some choice words for white people, too. But I’m sure that voicing that at DU would send AmBlue to the dust bin of history.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 04:07:20 PM »
 :racista:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 05:43:43 PM »
I’ve been to Uvalde many, many times. I’ve never seen anything like this person is saying.

OP is making stuff up.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen