Author Topic: The Nomenclature of Firearms Gets Used, Even Here, as a Hammer to Attack.  (Read 823 times)

Offline Kc25

• **** your feelings.
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216740218
4 hrs ago

MineralMan

The Nomenclature of Firearms Gets Used, Even Here, as a Hammer to Attack.

It so often happens that people who are deeply concerned with the use of firearms to kill innocent people, including children, get attacked when they post or talk about their outrage. The second they misuse a term or name associated with the parts of firearms or even the firearms themselves, someone will step in with a "nomenclature argument."

Frankly, that's the easiest way to spot people who are so concerned about their own firearms fetish that they have lost all reason when it comes to anything gun-related.

Instead of discussing the topic at hand, they attack those who make some sort of mistake when discussing firearms, parts of firearms, ammunition for firearms, or anything else related to firearms. They automatically dismiss the arguments of anyone who isn't an expert on the subject and often ridicule the person who doesn't have that information quite correct.

As it happens, I do know all of the terminology. I do understand firearms. I grew up with them. I have an Expert Marksman ribbon from my time in the USAF. I know guns. I also understand that most people do not know all of the terminology related to that subject. So do those who attack people who don't know that terminology. Those people understand what people are saying or writing just fine.

However, they cannot hold their tongues or keyboards. So, they instantly attack the incorrect language and dismiss the argument completely. That's dishonest. They know what you meant. They just don't like what you said or wrote and so they attack the only part of your argument they can attack.

I'm used to seeing it on social media, but am always surprised to see such attacks on nomenclature here on DU. They are seriously out of place here. The people making those attacks are not trying to educate anyone. They are simply using such mistakes as a way to dismiss the entire argument.

I wish people would stop doing that. Truly I do.

God Forbid that people know what they're talking about when they write legislation.
If I were to write a law that bans all clips greater than 10 rounds... then a 30 round magazine is still perfectly legal.

If I say no semiautomatic rifle can have a pistol grip or bayonet lug... then a semi-auto rifle without those things are perfectly legal.

Wtf are these people hoping to accomplish?

I mean seriously? They should admit they want to ban guns and move on. I'd at least give them points for honesty.

Offline SVPete

Re-posting:

Pointing out the difference between "automatic" and "semi-automatic" isn't a nomenclature argument, it's pointing out a fact proving the one conflating the two is too ignorant to be credible.

Pointing out that a .223" or 5.56 mm round won't cause a pig to explode isn't a nomenclature argument, it's proving the the :bouncy: -teller is a gross liar playing on readers' lack of information and experience.

Pointing out that a .223" or 5.56 mm round is smaller in diameter than 1/4 inch isn't a nomenclature argument, it's pointing out a fact proving the one posting the opposite is too ignorant or careless of facts to be credible.

BTW, does MM's post demonstrate that he or another DU-member on his other thread is an onlurker? :rotf:  :tongue:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 01:46:04 PM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline ADsOutburst

Here's a nomenclature argument that is seen often: The AR-15 is frequently referred to as an assault rifle. The reason people are quick to point out that that's technically not true is because gun control advocates use the term assault rifle to play on people's visceral fears. Not to mention that the attention it gets probably leads to it being used by more mass shooters.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 02:40:06 PM by ADsOutburst »

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
MM’s nonsense is just another way to excuse those who are making an argument where they incorrectly use facts or terminology because he happens to like the conclusion they reach. That’s dishonest.

But, I'm used to seeing it on DU, so I’m never surprised to see such attacks there.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Kc25

• **** your feelings.
MM’s nonsense is just another way to excuse those who are making an argument where they incorrectly use facts or terminology because he happens to like the conclusion they reach. That’s dishonest.

But, I'm used to seeing it on DU, so I’m never surprised to see such attacks there.

Uh oh Mineral man being called out in another post
Treefrog

33. This is the third or fourth post where you've told everyone

you got an expert ribbon in the 60s.

Just curious as to the relevance to the recent tragedy?

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216740573

I dare say Rockhead is trying to grow his influence and seem important.

I also say his 3 days on the range gives him no insight or understanding as to what AR-15s (or any weapon) is or is not capable of.

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
"Frankly, that's the easiest way to spot people who are so concerned about their own firearms fetish that they have lost all reason when it comes to anything gun-related."

In other words...

"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline Kc25

• **** your feelings.
"Frankly, that's the easiest way to spot people who are so concerned about their own firearms fetish that they have lost all reason when it comes to anything gun-related."

In other words...

Yup

Offline ADsOutburst

In other words...

Also, everything they disagree with is Hitler. The 'OK' gesture? That's Hitler. Free speech? That's Hitler too. Vaccine mandate non-compliance? Definitely Hitler. An AR-15? Oh, you'd better believe that's Hitler. Capitalism? Hitler.

Offline Muddling 2

Uh oh Mineral man being called out in another post
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216740573

I dare say Rockhead is trying to grow his influence and seem important.

I also say his 3 days on the range gives him no insight or understanding as to what AR-15s (or any weapon) is or is not capable of.

It's the basic "Appeal to Authority" fallacy.  You saw it during the Mueller bullshit, with people referring to his service in Vietnam (honorable, AFAIK) and from that inferring that his investigation into Trump was pure as the driven snow.
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Muddling 2

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216740218
God Forbid that people know what they're talking about when they write legislation.
If I were to write a law that bans all clips greater than 10 rounds... then a 30 round magazine is still perfectly legal.

If I say no semiautomatic rifle can have a pistol grip or bayonet lug... then a semi-auto rifle without those things are perfectly legal.

Wtf are these people hoping to accomplish?

I mean seriously? They should admit they want to ban guns and move on. I'd at least give them points for honesty.

MM's rant is amusing given that it comes from the same crowd that intentionally try to conflate "Assault Rifle" (an actual thing) with "Assault Weapon" (a political designation with no practical definition).  They also like to lump in 17/18/19 year old felons who are shot/killed while committing crimes as "children killed by gun violence". 
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
Robert A. Heinlein

Offline ADsOutburst

MM's rant is amusing given that it comes from the same crowd that intentionally try to conflate "Assault Rifle" (an actual thing) with "Assault Weapon" (a political designation with no practical definition).  They also like to lump in 17/18/19 year old felons who are shot/killed while committing crimes as "children killed by gun violence".

They even coined thee term "assault style", tiptoeing around the fact that the weapons employed in the widely publicized shootings are not actually assault rifles.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
The whole thing is they don’t give the same accommodation to someone who argues against the prevailing viewpoint. If that person doesn’t spell a word correctly, doesn’t use the correct terminology, or otherwise makes even the slightest of mistakes, they use it to nit-pic the person to death rather than argue the overall point being made.

Here rockhead is upset over a certain side using the same tactics that same side routinely uses on those with whom they disagree, and does so without a hint of irony.

And then to top it off, they’re hypocrites.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
The whole thing is they don’t give the same accommodation to someone who argues against the prevailing viewpoint. If that person doesn’t spell a word correctly, doesn’t use the correct terminology, or otherwise makes even the slightest of mistakes, they use it to nit-pic the person to death rather than argue the overall point being made.

Here rockhead is upset over a certain side using the same tactics that same side routinely uses on those with whom they disagree, and does so without a hint of irony.

And then to top it off, they’re hypocrites.

Nearly everything they do and say (DUmmies and those they vote for) is for the purpose of gaining advantage for themselves, and/or creating disadvantage for their opponents.

If they had any honesty, they'd admit their ideology and ideas are failures, because successful ideologies and ideas don't require misrepresentation, social pressure/shaming, or skullduggery to gain approval among sane people.
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline landofconfusion80

I dont have a gun fetish, I have a self protection fetish
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
OH NO! I must get rid of my 30 clip 10 round magazines.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Delmar

This is rich, coming from the people who lose their mud whenever someone says democrat party instead of democratic party.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline jukin

Speaking of hammer you old fat DUmbass Shit Sucker:
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline BamaMoose

These are the same people who attack anyone who isn't up to speed on whatever the latest nomenclature is in use for the LBGTLMNOPQ crowd.  And they seem to invent some new gender descriptor on a daily basis.  And don't even broach the subject of pronouns.  That subject has gotten so ridiculous (particularly when they invent new "preferred pronouns") that even the most "woke" DUmmy can't make heads or tails of it (or he or she or they or xe).

Offline 67 Rover

OH NO! I must get rid of my 30 clip 10 round magazines.

Well they are useless once you fire all the rounds in them anyway according to Rep. Diana DeGette.  :cheersmate:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.

Well they are useless once you fire all the rounds in them anyway according to Rep. Diana DeGette.  :cheersmate:

You're fine if you use the x-ray invisible plastic heat seeking bullets that are able to turn corners, but they have to be fired from a rifle that has the shoulder thing that goes up.
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
You're fine if you use the x-ray invisible plastic heat seeking bullets that are able to turn corners, but they have to be fired from a rifle that has the shoulder thing that goes up.

Na, just use a right angle barrel.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
MarineCombatEngineer (6,110 posts)

4. +100.

Same situation for me, enlisted in '64, initially trained on the very reliable M-14, then after my first tour, transitiioned to the M-16A1, which was a piece of shit for my second tour, and like you, I have zero desire to have any such weapon in my home or trucks, I just don't see the need for it, matter of fact, several months ago, I sold my 1911 Colt .45 as I didn't want any firearms period.

Sorry, homey, my gun nut, former army ass DOES know firearms. Backwards and forwards. The A1 didn't enter service until 69, with most filtering in around 1972.

Try again, clown.

BTW, My father was an 0811 in the USMC from 69-73. Never had an A1.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
fightforfreedom (1,199 posts)

15. I was an expert with the M16 in the army. Specially trained in the use and repair.

Who's mole?  :rofl:

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
I don't believe 99% of those claiming to be vets there are actually vets. The clown with the Bronze Star image? Show me or I'm calling it Stolen Valor. Pussies don't get Bronze Stars.

Offline Kc25

• **** your feelings.
I don't believe 99% of those claiming to be vets there are actually vets. The clown with the Bronze Star image? Show me or I'm calling it Stolen Valor. Pussies don't get Bronze Stars.

Well... they give out Bronze Stars for service now, as opposed to valor