Author Topic: primitive washes textured ceiling  (Read 1159 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitive washes textured ceiling
« on: September 12, 2010, 08:46:47 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=287x8823

Oh my.

Paper Roses  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-10-10 11:55 AM
Original message

Want some advice? Don't ever, ever wash a textured ceiling .

Yesterday I decided to wash the woodwork and walls in my den. A few hours with Simple Green and rags, looks fine. Of course, when you are up on that little step ladder, you can see the dust and grunge on the ceiling, even though it looks fine from floor level.

How hard can it be? Out with the rags, one rough chunk of old towel, one old diaper both for washing, one dry diaper to wipe down.

Well, I started this **** at 6:45 this AM. What a job. Soot, dust and whatever atmospheric grunge sits within the textured plaster. I have been at this for 5 hours and am about 2/3 done. I need a rest. Just took 2 Advil.

Some of the areas are either still wet or I have left some holidays that I will have to attend to tomorrow. I tried a floor mop, a car brush and all both did was dribble water and solution down my arms. I could figure out no way to do this except elbow grease. Good grief, I wish I never started.

If I have to go over it again for some reason, I will soak my dust mop in Simple Green solution, wring well and wipe it down as best I can. This up and down a ladder, over the shoulder work is too much for this old lady.

Going to pull the plastic tarp off the couch and take a nap. Finish the rest later!

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Fri Sep-10-10 12:01 PM
THE DEFROCKED WARPED PRIMITIVE, #09 TOP PRIMITIVE OF 2009
Response to Original message

1. That's one reason, other than esthetics, that people like to get rid of those popcorn ceilings as soon as they can. They just absorb everything!

I have no idea why anyone ever thought they were a good idea.

The next time you get a wild hair and pull the stepladder out, get a wide scraper and dust mask and start scraping the popcorn off completely. Then you can paint over what's left and it will be good for years.

Paper Roses  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-10-10 12:22 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. It's not popcorn, it is rough plaster of the type used 200 years ago.

The art of plastering was not refined when this old place was built. In keeping with the rough plaster on the walls, we(stupidly) had that duplicated when we redid this room about 20 years ago. Walls are fine. The ceiling--another matter. If I had the $$, I'd hire someone to come and put a finish coat over this stuff. Since this is real plaster and not some spray on stuff, I'd never be able to sand it down. I know how to do it but, not only would it be a mess but it would take me forever. I've cleaned up plaster dust many times and no matter how well you cover and block off things, everything would be covered with that powdered stuff.

I'll just curse a while, finish the job and hope I don't ever live long enough to face it again.

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Fri Sep-10-10 12:30 PM
THE DEFROCKED WARPED PRIMITIVE, #09 TOP PRIMITIVE OF 2009
Response to Reply #2

3. Next time, knock the dust off and then use a floor mop to get the rest of the surface dirt. Then repaint over the rest. It's easier.

Paper Roses  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-10-10 02:32 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. I so agree with you. Never wash this thing again.

Adsos Letter  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-10-10 02:46 PM
Response to Reply #1

5. They thought they were a good idea because the taping/drywall finish on the ceiling didn't have to be a nicely done as for other textures; plus, in apartments, etc., it had a slight sound dampening effect between floors. Plus, it could be quickly blown on, and required no further tooling.

Other than that, I have no idea. As a painter for 30 years, I sealed and spray-painted quite a few of those puppies...they grab EVERYTHING, and they don't wash.

Well, such things happen when one buys an antique, an old house, especially a high-maintenance one.

The primitive should've bought a new house.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
Re: primitive washes textured ceiling
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 09:31:25 AM »
Why in the hell would a DUmbass think it was a good idea to use water and Simple Green to clean a textured ceiling?   :hammer:

I use Simple Green to degrease car engines, it's that strong.  I use a broom or a long handled brush to clean textured ceilings.  Unless you have a lot of smoke (aka, fireplace/woodstove), you don't need to wash it.  

Damn, these people are rock-solid STUPID!  They also vote.  

Be afraid, be very afraid!  
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 10:15:30 AM »
My high school best friend's parents house had popcorn ceilings and they had little sparkly things in it (it was built in the late 60's early 70's). I went back to visit a few years ago and we went to her parents house. The ceiling was absolutely filthy. I don't think they had ever cleaned or painted the ceilings since they bought the house (they were the original owners of the house). They both smoke and I'm positive that is a majority of why the ceiling looked so bad. If I were to buy a house that had popcorn ceilings, taking it off would be the first thing I would do.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 03:07:06 PM »
Paper Roses  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-10-10 02:32 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. I so agree with you. Never wash this thing again.

Said the DUmmie to the Frenchman. 

Oh wait, we're talking about ceilings.

Offline true_blood

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 05:10:58 PM »
Why in the hell would a DUmbass think it was a good idea to use water and Simple Green to clean a textured ceiling?   :hammer:

I use Simple Green to degrease car engines, it's that strong.  I use a broom or a long handled brush to clean textured ceilings.  Unless you have a lot of smoke (aka, fireplace/woodstove), you don't need to wash it.  

Damn, these people are rock-solid STUPID!  They also vote.   

DUmmies and common sense are exact opposites. lol :cheersmate:

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 05:58:28 PM »
Original message

Some of the areas are either still wet or I have left some holidays that I will have to attend to tomorrow. I tried a floor mop, a car brush and all both did was dribble water and solution down my arms. I could figure out no way to do this except elbow grease. Good grief, I wish I never started.

Summary of the mindset of a perpetual moocher.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 06:08:20 PM »
DUmmies and common sense are exact opposites. lol :cheersmate:

Common sense is not a common commodity in the DUmp.

Nor is ANY sense, for that matter.
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 06:19:37 PM »
Water and textured ceilings do not mix.
[youtube=425,350]74rr71tZN8U[/youtube]
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 10:04:16 PM »
Original message

Want some advice? Don't ever, ever wash a textured ceiling .

If I have to go over it again for some reason, I will soak my dust mop in Simple Green solution, wring well and wipe it down as best I can. This up and down a ladder, over the shoulder work is too much for this old lady.

Here is an easier way to take care of your filthy abode:

►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄