Author Topic: Are we talking about dignity for the dead?  (Read 72469 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Are we talking about dignity for the dead?
« on: August 12, 2019, 11:53:42 AM »
Goodheart (1,416 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212372554

Cremate, people.
Cremate people.

Are we talking about dignity for the dead?

Let me tell you a sad story....

Somebody very close to me died, and the eulogy was very nice.... but THEN...

We travel out to some mausoleum and his body (inside a coffin, of course) is pushed into a drawer about five rows up.... so high that the attending pastor had to use a ladder next to the coffin.

How is it dignified, pray tell, to have your body stuffed into a drawer?

I can see, maybe, the beauty in lowering your body into the ground and then covering it with earth... but a DRAWER? And somebody paid good money for that drawer space.

How much more beautiful would it have been to toss the ashes to the wind? A WHOLE LOT MORE, that's what.

::)  ... is there anything they won't bitch about?

[the answer is no, of course]

Star Member lark (13,083 posts)

4. I want to be cremated, then have the ashes buried in my yard with a camellia bush planted over me.

That way I will still be fertilizing flowering plants as I have done my entire life. My husband wants his ashes thrown off the dock where he goes fishing sometimes. A regular burial in a coffin is so wasteful, we decided in our 20's that was not what we wanted and still hold to that now that we are in our 60's. We have got to get a will and put that in, but both of our children know & support our wishes and have agreed to make sure this happens.

Star Member tavernier (6,271 posts)

32. I read a book on cremation once. Ashes are not recommended to be used in gardens because the salt content is too high and the roots will die. Just FYI.

:whatever:

Star Member MineralMan (123,199 posts)

2. I agree.

This past weekend, my wife and I traveled to South Dakota to bury part of her mother's and father's ashes in the cemetery where her mother's parents are buried. It's a church cemetery, and they allow families to do that at no charge. We were met by the cemetery caretaker, who had shovels and a board to hold the dirt. I dug a neat square hole, after removing a square of sod, using those tools, and then we placed the small urn in it.

Her ashes are already at the Fort Snelling national cemetery with her late husband's. We retained some of the ashes for an additional sprinkling in Norway by my wife's sister, who is traveling there next year. Cremation lets family members place part of the remains in different places that were important to the deceased person.

:yawn:

Star Member Farmer-Rick (2,951 posts)

3. Cremation ashes are not so easy to just throw off into the wind.

First if they sit for any length of time, they become like a brick due to absorption of humidity. Second there are regulations to where you can throw or put the ashes. You can't just decide to throw them off into the Grand Canyon. Some places require permits and authorizations.

But yes burial are outrageously expensive.

Bengus81 (3,923 posts)

11. There is at Disney Land...........

:rotf: Nothing gets past The Mouse.

Star Member genxlib (2,191 posts)

5. I agree

Don't even get me started on open casket funerals and putting make-up on dead people.

Star Member malaise (193,797 posts)

6. The cheapest disposal is donating your body to a medical school/hospital n/t

Star Member Mosby (10,137 posts)

58. Me and my wife are going to be buried using Jewish customs

No embalming, wood only casket.

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Old n Grumpy

Re: Are we talking about dignity for the dead?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 01:10:33 PM »
Don't sweat it holmes, they will still vote democrat in the next election. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 03:47:21 PM »
Star Member lark (13,083 posts)

4. I want to be cremated, then have the ashes buried in my yard with a camellia bush planted over me.

That way I will still be fertilizing flowering plants as I have done my entire life. My husband wants his ashes thrown off the dock where he goes fishing sometimes. A regular burial in a coffin is so wasteful, we decided in our 20's that was not what we wanted and still hold to that now that we are in our 60's. We have got to get a will and put that in, but both of our children know & support our wishes and have agreed to make sure this happens.

One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline Delmar

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 05:57:38 PM »
Response to Goodheart (Original post)Mon Aug 12, 2019, 04:21 PM
Star Member avebury (9,684 posts)
105. Okay how about creamation and have someone collect the ashes of a lot of people. If you split

the cost of a helicopter among as many of the deceased who agree ahead of time, someone could take that container of ashes and dump them over a Trump golf course.

Why don't you just hire prostitutes to pee on a bed that Trump might have slept in once?  It's just as pointless and pathetic and stupid and you could do it while you're still alive to enjoy it.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline YupItsMe

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 06:05:11 PM »

That's not anybody from DU.  The girl in the picture actually shaves.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 07:00:05 PM »

YEAH...   don't google search girls who shave and dump at work, frank...

:o
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 08:20:08 PM »
I was really looking for the scene in worlds fastest indian where anthony hopkins was pissing on the bushes in the backyard. Couldn't get it so the cutie and a tree had to do.
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)