Author Topic: Need car help / advice  (Read 1609 times)

Offline ChuckJ

Need car help / advice
« on: July 13, 2018, 06:57:56 PM »
I need some advice on how to handle something. This will probably be long and rambling. I apologize for that, but I want to be sure that I get everything in. On top of it all, I've been dealing with an impacted wisdom tooth that I can't get seen about until the 24th.

On Memorial Day someone ran into the rear-end of my wife’s vehicle and totaled it. From the time it was officially “totaled” until July 3rd I was scanning the web looking for car deals. We also rode all over the place trying to find her something. I had almost given up, but on July 3rd, while searching the web, I found something I thought she’d like at a Nissan dealership in a nearby town.

According to the dealership’s website it was a 2016 Nissan Certified Pre-Owned. The price was more than I wanted to pay, but it wasn’t extremely terrible so we headed over there.

After looking it over and driving it a bit we entered negotiations. During this time I mentioned to the salesman about it being “Nissan Certified” and he said that it was not. I told him that according to their website and the stickers on the windows that it was. He pulled up the website and verified that the listing did say that it was “Nissan Certified” then he left to go talk to someone. When he came back he said that since it was listed as “Nissan Certified” that they’d be selling it as “Nissan Certified” then we sat and waited. I don’t know what we were waiting on, but after about 2 hours of sitting there he send us to the finance department to sign the paperwork.

Let me stop here and say that I have problems seeing to drive at night. We had arrived at the dealership late so the 2 hours of sitting and waiting meant the sun was on it’s way down. On top of that, I’ve been  having back problems and the chairs they had were terrible so by the time I made it to the finance office my back was killing me. Because of all of that I probably didn’t take as much time checking over the paperwork as I should have taken.

Once we got home, it dawned on me that all we were given was the sales contracts. We were NOT given any paperwork on the extra warranty, roadside assistance, etc that comes with a “Nissan Certified” vehicle. I asked my wife if they had given her any additional paperwork AND if they’d given her the window stickers that stated the vehicle was “Nissan Certified”. She said that they did not give her anything but the sales contracts.

I headed outside to see if the put the window stickers in the back seat or glove compartment. They did not.

Suspecting that we were possibly getting screwed I went to their website and got a screen shot of the ad stating the vehicle was “Nissan Certified” and a screen shot of the side photo of the vehicle showing the “Nissan Certified Pre-Owned” window stickers. It’s a good thing that I did that because by the next day their website had been scrubbed in regards to the vehicle.

On the 5th we called the dealership was assured the vehicle was “Nissan Certified”. I told them that I wanted the paperwork and they emailed me the certification checklist that had been performed by a Nissan dealership in Florida that is owned by the same corporation. My wife called NissanUSA they did NOT show the vehicle as being certified.

On the 6th the “check engine” light came on. I stopped at the nearest Advanced Auto and let them hook their code reader to it. It was an O2 sensor malfunction.

On the 9th we took the vehicle back to the dealership to get them to do something about the “check engine” light AND to get the “Nissan Certified” warranty paperwork. I was given a pretty bad copy of a Limited Warranty Registration with the vehicles VIN and was told that they would get it registered. We left the vehicle there for repairs to be done.

On the 10th NissanUSA still did not show it was being registered as a “Nissan Certified Pre-Owned”.

On the 12th we went back to the dealership to pick up the repaired vehicle and told them that we wanted to be given the original paperwork instead of copies. They gave us the window stickers. They gave us the “Nissan Certified Pre-Owned” packet. They also gave us what appears to be a forged certification checklist. They told us that it was registered.

Today (the 13th) my wife spoke with NissanUSA again, and they told her that the dealership did indeed register the vehicle with them in my name; however, it was not registered as a “Nissan Certified Pre-Owned”. In other words, I don’t have any type of warranty except for what is left of the original warranty. Nor do I have roadside assistance. Essential I bought a used car instead of a “Nissan Certified Pre-Owned.”

What are my options?
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: Need car help / advice
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 07:43:02 PM »
Your State Attorney General?  I'm sure that they have a unit that deals with this kind of fraud.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 09:16:25 PM »
Your State Attorney General?  I'm sure that they have a unit that deals with this kind of fraud.

The wife has been wanting to go to the DA's office since about lunch today.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 07:03:39 PM »
I’m just seeing this now.  Go Monday.  Take your evidence with you.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 04:24:32 PM »
It will take forever to go through the State Attorney General.  You can keep them looped in but don't waste your time.

The first question is: what EXACTLY do you want?  Do you want them to acknowledge and send you a copy of the Certified PreOwned Warranty? 

That is easy.

Send an e-mail and follow it up with a registered letter  (on the bottom, note "cc: USPS Delivery, file"
---------------
Re: vehicle + VIN Nissan Certified PreOwned Warranty Paperwork

Dear (salesman name).

After my purchase of a (car including VIN) executed on (contract date), I note the paperwork and Certified PreOwned warranty have yet to be delivered to me. 

You have acknowledged this vehicle is covered by this program so I expect the following:

1) An email response to this message acknowledging my request and that you are sending the materials via USPS (or delivery mechanism of your choice).
2) The delivery of the necessary paperwork (Warranty registered to me and Warranty Terms and Conditions) by USPS or other delivery mechanism before 7 calander days (1 week).

If you have any questions or require clarification please contact me at: (xxx) xxx-xxxx.

Sincerely

(you + email + address + phone)

----------------------------------

This should be ALL you include.  This is called a "demand letter" and clarifies what you want, why you deserve it and when you expect to  get it.  This establishes a clear legal foundation should we need to follow up with the next in my "escalating series" of letters.

I have NEVER lost in court even against large corporations.  Stick with me and you will get what you want if the facts support it.

I am NOT a lawyer (maybe better so since I don't know what I am not supposed to be able to do) but have spent a bit of time in the legal arena and certainly know what do for a case like this.

BTW:  I would have left the dealership after 20 minutes, much less 2 hours.  You forgot YOU are the customer and they need YOU -- not the other way around.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 05:09:25 PM »
I would try going through nissan usa to file a complaint, also try the various social media sites they use as well as owners forums.

Ask nice if no results use the squeaky wheel approach  :hammer: :hammer:

Do the same with the dealership you got it from.

Remember, the car is gone the $$ is in their pocket so use whatever means necessary to get what you want short of drivent the car through the show room window, dragging the manager and salesman out into the parking lot and beating the crap out of them. :-)

Good luck!! :cheersmate:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Gwitness

• Leave that thing alone.
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 11:01:54 AM »
Climb all over Corporate...and don't be nice, they'll come down on that dealership like a ton of bricks.....dealers live and die by their CSR, [customer satisfaction ratings] and too many poor CSR's and the dealership gets their franchise pulled.