Author Topic: DU bitterly, bitterly dissapointed.  (Read 815 times)

Offline zeitgeist

DU bitterly, bitterly dissapointed.
« on: December 01, 2012, 05:35:28 PM »
Anyone else heard about this letter? 

http://upload.democraticunderground.com/10021907887

Liberal_in_LA (26,894 posts)

Dad's ....

CNN) -- They're calling it the "Crews missile."

Fired from the keyboard of 67-year-old Nick Crews, the missive blew the lid off his dysfunctional family.

In an e-mail titled "Dear All Three," published in U.K. newspaper The Telegraph, Crews excoriates his three grown children for their professional and personal failures and for the "bitter disappointment each of you has in your own way dished out" to him and his wife.

Crews, a retired British naval officer, was fed up with his children's unsuccessful marriages and inability to earn a living that, as he said, measures up to their potential.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/30/living/telegraph-nick-crews-email/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

'I am bitterly, bitterly disappointed': retired naval officer's email to children in full
This is the full email that retired Royal Navy officer Nick Crews sent to his son and two daughters in February expressing his and his wife's disappointment in them.

------------------

Dear All Three

With last evening's crop of whinges and tidings of more rotten news for which you seem to treat your mother like a cess-pit, I feel it is time to come off my perch.

It is obvious that none of you has the faintest notion of the bitter disappointment each of you has in your own way dished out to us. We are seeing the miserable death throes of the fourth of your collective marriages at the same time we see the advent of a fifth.

We are constantly regaled with chapter and verse of the happy, successful lives of the families of our friends and relatives and being asked of news of our own children and grandchildren. I wonder if you realise how we feel — we have nothing to say which reflects any credit on you or us. We don't ask for your sympathy or understanding — Mum and I have been used to taking our own misfortunes on the chin, and making our own effort to bash our little paths through life without being a burden to others. Having done our best — probably misguidedly — to provide for our children, we naturally hoped to see them in turn take up their own banners and provide happy and stable homes for their own children.

(snip)

I can now tell you that I for one, and I sense Mum feels the same, have had enough of being forced to live through the never-ending bad dream of our children's underachievement and domestic ineptitudes. I want to hear no more from any of you until, if you feel inclined, you have a success or an achievement or a REALISTIC plan for the support and happiness of your children to tell me about. I don't want to see your mother burdened any more with your miserable woes — it's not as if any of the advice she strives to give you has ever been listened to with good grace — far less acted upon. So I ask you to spare her further unhappiness. If you think I have been unfair in what I have said, by all means try to persuade me to change my mind. But you won't do it by simply whingeing and saying you don't like it. You'll have to come up with meaty reasons to demolish my points and build a case for yourself. If that isn't possible, or you simply can't be bothered, then I rest my case.

I am bitterly, bitterly disappointed.

Dad

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9686219/I-am-bitterly-bitterly-disappointed-retired-naval-officers-email-to-children-in-full.html

This is a very big campfire.  I had a very hard time loading it for comments.

I did grab this one to start things off.

laundry_queen (3,421 posts)
56. +1

That's exactly right.

I actually belong to a board for adults who are now dealing with abuse suffered in childhood. Often times it's subtle, constant emotional abuse and the child (now adult) often breaks contact because of some last straw. Usually it's the parent blaming the child for something yet again or the parent refusing to take responsibility for something they've done that wasn't so nice and it's a pattern. The parents often tell everyone their sob story about their 'ungrateful' children, leaving out the part where there has been dysfunction and abuse and that the kids have put up with more than enough already.

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: DU bitterly, bitterly dissapointed.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 05:44:09 PM »
laundry_queen (3,421 posts)
56. +1

That's exactly right.

I actually belong to a board for adults who are now dealing with abuse suffered in childhood. Often times it's subtle, constant emotional abuse and the child (now adult) often breaks contact because of some last straw. Usually it's the parent blaming the child for something yet again or the parent refusing to take responsibility for something they've done that wasn't so nice and it's a pattern. The parents often tell everyone their sob story about their 'ungrateful' children, leaving out the part where there has been dysfunction and abuse and that the kids have put up with more than enough already.

Three guesses who this DUmbellina puts on the blame line for all her own shortcomings...

:whatever:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 05:50:32 PM »
pnwmom (41,147 posts)
97. One of these failures, his oldest daughter, has three kids and is married to a surgeon

View profile

Last edited Fri Nov 30, 2012, 08:32 PM USA/ET - Edit history (1)
and has set up a small business and is translating a book which is about to be published.

But apparently she hasn't given him enough to brag about.

He's a textbook narcissist.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9686721/Daughter-defends-former-submarine-captain-who-told-children-he-was-bitterly-disappointed-in-them.html

Mrs Crews-Montes now lives in Brittany with her second husband, a French surgeon, and three children aged 18 months, two, and 12.

She said her father’s email did not upset her because she had already begun to turn her life around when she received it in February. She had set up a business and had started translating a French self-help book into English.

“I had already done what he told me to do. I had already given myself a kick up the backside.” She admitted spending “many years underperforming”, partly because her father’s uncompromising stance left her with little self-confidence.

Take a pill and GET THE FREAK OVER IT.   

Is it no wonder at all that Obama is president after reading through this thread - they all blame others, they take no personal responsibility for anything, and they will live forever with their hand out. 

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 05:52:08 PM »
Three guesses who this DUmbellina puts on the blame line for all her own shortcomings...

1. someone else

2. not her

3. anyone but her
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 05:54:36 PM »
Nearly all DUmp democrats are bitter disappointments to their own parents, so they're sensitive to a letter like that.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 06:48:05 PM »

Love the new descriptive moniker for ...........................Damn, I want to say liberal females but that just ain't right. Only a medical examiner could say for sure if the were female.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 07:39:24 PM »
Love the new descriptive moniker for ...........................Damn, I want to say liberal females but that just ain't right. Only a medical examiner could say for sure if the were female.

Then let's get cracking!
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 07:44:02 PM »
I heard Beck talking about it on Friday, I was wondering when the moonbats were going to discover it.  :-)
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 08:30:04 PM »
Then let's get cracking!

Talk about "Lookin' fer luv in all the wrong places"...
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 10:19:41 AM »
Then let's get cracking!

You first!

And if (notice I didn't type "when") you find any, let us know, from downwind.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 11:09:37 AM »
You first!

And if (notice I didn't type "when") you find any, let us know, from downwind.

:lmao:     Reminds me of a class I had in nursing school where the subject was    " No one has a perfect childhood."

Since when was childhood supposed to be perfect with no problems to over come and all is strawberry fields forever ???    No disappointments, no reality of life, birth and death of family members ??? No pet ever die, no friend moves away,  parents are less then human with no faults or problems of their own.

The most successful friends I ever had came up the brutal way in life, they knew at a young age they would have to work around the foibles of family, friends and outsiders.

They did as childhood is for training children to survive as Adults, to think for themselves and get around the horrid things that can happen to children as they grow up.

Now we have a parent that is so disappointed in how his children turned out-------Did this parent in any way finance his children's choices in life ??

Did this parent in any way give silent concent to his children to continue on the stair way to hell ???

Did this parent bail them out of jail or pay off their debts in some fashion. ???

Balderdash, disappoint with a child comes when most is expected and the child does not come through.