Author Topic: DUmpmonkeys discuss bad words  (Read 353 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
DUmpmonkeys discuss bad words
« on: October 16, 2012, 06:41:47 PM »
From the meta forum so no link.

quinnox (13,040 posts)

View profile
Should there be a list of "frowned upon" words at DU?
This seems to be an ongoing issue, certain words are noticed and then judged to be unacceptable, and I'm thinking a lot of people will be like me, baffled and unaware of why or what these words might be. Take the latest word "Pansy", I never thought of it as a slur before, but it was recently added to the "forbidden" lexicon. This list seems to grow and always be expanding too, based on new words that are discovered and judged to be unacceptable. So it might prove useful to have an official list of the words that are considered wrong or bad to write, and when new words are discovered in the future they can be added to this list.

seabeyond (78,021 posts)
3. yes, because it seems just too hard for some hetro males to identify sexist and homophobic slurs

View profile
really, i give all you men much more credit. i think you are beyond capable of knowing a homophobic and sexist slur. but in the last couple days, there are too many hetro men telling gays and women that it is just funny, lighten up.

so, i guess, they are telling us we do need a list.

which i find beyond sad for a progressive board.

God what a joy this ignorant thing must be like to deal with in real life.

4th law of robotics (5,829 posts)
4. You seem obsessed with the faults of 'hetero males'

View profile
if I got in to one argument with a gay woman and went around bashing 'homo females' that would get me banned pretty quick.

But you may bash men as you see fit and few will call you on it. Enjoy your privilege.

/also stop lumping gays and women together. Women can be gay, homosexuals can be female. But the two aren't the same thing necessarily. It's a rather deliberate ploy on your part to appropriate outrage from someone else and use it yourself. A homophobic slur is against homosexuals. Not homosexuals AND women.

:lmao:

seabeyond (78,021 posts)
15. obsessed? no. relevant it is the hetro male telling women and gays what NOT to be offended by.

View profile
ya, i think that is significant. and gutsy.

17. Again, stop pretending woman and gay are the same thing

View profile
I know you want to cast as broad a net as possible so you can be outraged by anything but women =/= gay even though some homosexuals are women.

So a slur directed against homosexuals is not something you can personally weigh in on as straight woman.

You do the same thing with "women *and* children" for the same reason. These are different groups.

seabeyond (78,021 posts)
24. you would be wrong. another reason i do not respond. you manifest an argument and redefine what i

View profile
say. another waste of my time, so as soon as i see your manifestation i again.... stop reading.

30. Wow, you just out and said it?

View profile
"Manifest"?

This isn't the 1950s. Personifest/personifistation, please.

I won't alert because you did this in ignorance. But next time I will have to send this to a jury.

That was fun,welcome to the reality of the leftist world you all dream of.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
Re: DUmpmonkeys discuss bad words
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 06:51:55 PM »
Oh for cripes sake! I don't think pre-schoolers yap like this!

Do these slugs ever grow up?
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 06:53:27 PM »
Speaking of leftist politically correct stupidity, yesterday I was reading an article that added a letter to a 'Q' to the end of LGBT. I had to do some searching to figure out what the 'Q' was for. Apparently it can stand for 'queer' which seems a bit redundant considering what the existing letters already stand for. Or it can stand for 'questioning' for people who are questioning their sexual identity which to me calls into question the left's claim that you are born homosexual.

I was born white. I don't have to question whether I'm white.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 07:19:18 PM »
seabeyond (78,021 posts)
3. yes, because it seems just too hard for some hetro males
there are too many hetro men 

To DUmpmonkeys, "hetro" is "retro".

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 07:27:34 PM »
I like to use the word honky.

Also ass, since its in the Bible.

I'm not sensitive to swearing, maybe I should if I'm going to be a pastor.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 07:30:20 PM by ColonelCarrots »

Offline jukin

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 07:57:01 PM »
Freedom?
Liberty?
First Amendment?
Second Amendment?
I can think of thousands of words that the DUches would frown upon and ban.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.