Author Topic: DU on Throat Slitting Gesture  (Read 944 times)

Offline zeitgeist

DU on Throat Slitting Gesture
« on: September 01, 2012, 01:43:57 PM »
....» General Discussion (Forum) » The throat-slitting gestu...

Ever wonder why you even go look at the DUmbness at the DUmp? OR  Why do you look at a train wreck?

Yes folks, these people do walk among us.  The good Lord knows how thy find their way back home.

http://upload.democraticunderground.com/10021248255

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 10:59 AM

UTUSN (33,466 posts)

The throat-slitting gesture: Did EASTWOOD know it's part of Mormon ritual?

Last edited Sat Sep 1, 2012, 11:21 AM USA/ET - Edit history (1)

In the BBC's "The Mormon Candidate," featured for a month on Current TV, it's described that in the swearing into Mormonism ceremony, one of the rituals is a throat-slitting gesture to signify doing that before divulging church secrets.

Secrecy. It's Mittens/church m.o. A few years ago they had a commercial on t.v. offering a very beautifully produced DVD about Easter/Jesus, very authentic looking costumes, acting, whatever. The deal was it was free but with an agreement to let missionaries visit once.

Besides being enticed by the DVD, I was curious in a very non-biased way about what they believed, as much as about whatever other meditative system (Taoism, Buddhism, whatever). So these two polite young dudes arrived, inquired about my intentions a bit, asked me to lead a prayer for them, which I in my 50 or so years of secular humanism did an unimpressive job of and they were clearly unimpressed. So I asked them what they believed. They went into an automatic babble about Jesus Jesus Jesus. I said that, O.K., I was familiar with that topic so what ELSE did their system consist of, what was DIFFERENT. They did a vague verbal tap dance and changed the subject. I said that if there was nothing different I might as well stay as I am.

I posted this story before and somebody replied that this is known as the "milk before meat" strategy, that an infant can only process milk and can't do the meat thing until later, that the Mormons are trained on this.

So, Mittens keeps being expected to tell about his finances and his religion and his agenda, and he does this vague verbal tap dance and most of us think of this in secular terms like "flip flopping" but it's a deeply engrained feature of his belief system.

In "The Mormon Candidate" Mittens' second cousin who left the church and says he is "alienated" (shunned) from his family says that they "don't realize the degree to which they engage in brain washing" and that they are "masters of mendacity."

Secrecy. Mendacity.

37 replies, 1991 views

I loaded up the whole darn thread.  Get out yer tinfoil, scroll down and enjoy. Stupid like this should be {deserves to be}  recognized.

Response to UTUSN (Original post)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 11:01 AM

CJCRANE (12,291 posts)

1. I doubt Clint thought about it much.

He was just riffing on a theme. He may have had a few drinks beforehand.

Response to CJCRANE (Reply #1)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 11:41 AM

bemildred (62,834 posts)

9. Yeah, he's been in the bubble a long time now.

Always ambitious, very successful, things start to look different after a while.

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 11:08 AM

intaglio (3,716 posts)

2. A throat slit gesture is also Masonic

Not that Joe Smith stole anything from other faiths ...

Response to intaglio (Reply #2)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 01:38 PM

defacto7 (109 posts)

24. Historically the Mormons and the Masons are arch rivals.

Joe Smith was a high degree Mason but was thrown out of the Masons just before he decided to make up his religion. Smith did take many of the Masonic rituals from his Masonic background.

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 11:11 AM

woodsprite (5,227 posts)

3. Mittens believes in "Bain washing". n/t

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 11:23 AM

joeybee12 (38,454 posts)

4. That milk-meat sh*t is like Scientology...

Hmmm

Response to joeybee12 (Reply #4)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 11:28 AM

UTUSN (33,466 posts)

5. The BBC narrator said that the two are similar "but Mormons are smarter"!1 and both are CULTS n/t

Response to UTUSN (Reply #5)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 11:46 AM

joeybee12 (38,454 posts)

11. Yup...a cult...having been raised RC (now totally lapsed), I was never told

that you couldn't tell others what you believe in, that anythig was off limits...a lot of it seems weird to other religions, but it's not like you were told to hold anything back.

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 11:39 AM

nc4bo (10,848 posts)

8. Sounds similar to Jehovah's Witnesses too

Not slamming JW's - just that you will not have your curiosity satisfied immediately.

I want to know right now, what it is you actually believe in. Now, not 6 months down the road when you think I can handle it.

Meat first, tyvm.

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 11:43 AM

Walk away (3,039 posts)

10. That's the first thing I thought.

Just standard cult stuff.

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 11:31 AM

kestrel91316 (41,069 posts)

6. The LDS throat-slitting gesture is part of temple ceremonies and is a depiction of what WILL BE DONE

to you if you tell church secrets. It's a nod to their doctrine of blood atonement, which my g-g-g-grandfather helped to enforce back in the 1800s.

Though according to his autobiography he usually shot them rather than slitting their throats.

Regardless of method, he did it a lot and Joe Smith and Brigham Young rewarded him richly for his efforts.

Response to kestrel91316 (Reply #6)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 11:33 AM

UTUSN (33,466 posts)

7. Ah. That clears it up for me. And wow. n/t

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 11:54 AM

Spider Jerusalem (14,127 posts)

12. It's something they nicked from the Freemasons along with most of their other temple ceremony

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 12:17 PM

barbtries (12,995 posts)

16. wow

write a book kestrel, i'd love to read that story!

Response to barbtries (Reply #16)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 12:45 PM

18. He already wrote it. After he turned on the Mormons, he spent the rest of his life running from them

Brigham Young and his buddies were indicted on multiple counts of capital murder and my g-g-g-grandfather was set to be the star witness for the prosecution. But then a USSC decision about how federal grand juries were empaneled meant the case had to be thrown out, and they never could get another indictment because all the grand jurors were locals and, you guessed it, loyal Mormons.

His book:
http://www.amazon.com/Brighams-Destroying-Angel-Philosophy-Religion/dp/1429019751/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1

His Google search results:
http://www.google.com/search?q=Brigham's+Destroying+Angel&aq=f&sugexp=chrome,mod=2&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_nf=1&gs_mss=Brigham's%20Destroying%20Ange&tok=VDsSLqOfLtOMIyWayvl3dA&pq=brigham's%20destroying%20angel&cp=16&gs_id=3t&xhr=t&q=william+adams+hickman&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=william+adams+hi&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=7d3f23e8cc470e55&biw=1366&bih=643

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 01:50 PM

defacto7 (109 posts)

31. Where did your gggGrandfather live when he was Mormon?

Response to defacto7 (Reply #31)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 02:01 PM

36. Born in MO, came west with the early Mormons, lived in UT for decades.

Last edited Sat Sep 1, 2012, 02:02 PM USA/ET - Edit history (1)

Traveled throughout the west in his adventures. Spent his elder years running from the Mormons, mostly in WY where he died.

Lived in Nauvoo IL and was one of Joseph Smith's bodyguards, and was there when Smith was lynched.

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 11:59 AM

liberalmuse (14,383 posts)

13. That was my first thought when I'd heard about it...

having been a Mormon. It's rather creepy. The slashing motion is done while saying a vow to remain faithful to the Mormon church, "I suffer my life to be taken". Temple-going Mormons know exactly what that gesture meant.

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 12:06 PM

valerief (31,903 posts)

14. And he's a bishop. A man. Not one to be questioned. Not accustomed to being questioned. nt

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 12:15 PM

barbtries (12,995 posts)

15. lying for the lord

i am convinced that his religion is one big reason that romney not only lies constantly but never betrays one second of remorse about his incessant lying. he believes it's okay.

Response to barbtries (Reply #15)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 12:46 PM

19. The Mormon hierarchy has an unwritten policy of allowing and even encouraging lying if they believe

it will serve to benefit the church in some way.

Response to kestrel91316 (Reply #19)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 01:43 PM

defacto7 (109 posts)

27. Not just Mormons....

"What harm would it do, if a man told a good strong lie for the sake of the good and for the Christian church … a lie out of necessity, a useful lie, a helpful lie, such lies would not be against God, he would accept them."

Martin Luther

Response to defacto7 (Reply #27)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 02:03 PM

37. Martin Luther had his own set of issues. This sort of crap is why i don't

Last edited Sat Sep 1, 2012, 02:04 PM USA/ET - Edit history (1)

belong to ANY particular faith.

That said, I don't think most modern christian denominations have such a blatant policy of deceiving others.

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 12:26 PM

Octafish (30,943 posts)

17. J Edgar Hoover LOVED Mormons in the Bureau.

White. Quiet. Obedient. Don't drive drunk and smash up the Bureau's cars.

They got what the Reich needs.

Response to Octafish (Reply #17)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 12:51 PM

kartski (4 posts)

20. Wisdom

A number of years ago, I went to an Equipment School and there was a Non-Mormon guy from Micron Semiconductors in Idaho.
 He said, "Never go fishing with just one Mormon, he'll drink all your beer. Make sure there are two and they'll watch each other."
 My in-laws are converts, my step father in-law is always going out to his shed to smoke cigarets, you can see the pack in his pocket.

Response to kartski (Reply #20)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 01:45 PM

defacto7 (109 posts)

29. They sound like Jack Mormons.

'None of those here where I live... squeaky clean and disinfected. SLC

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 01:02 PM

Overseas (10,028 posts)

21. I'm glad Clint drew attention to Mormon secrecy with that gesture.

Until Romney was nominated, I didn't know enough about the bizarre tenets of the Mormon faith.

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 01:06 PM

cherokeeprogressive (13,241 posts)

22. Isn't that gesture also the on-set signal for "Cut!"? n/t

Response to cherokeeprogressive (Reply #22)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 01:38 PM

ashling (15,641 posts)

25. My thought exactly.

He is an actor and director and certainly familiar with it from that pov

Response to cherokeeprogressive (Reply #22)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 01:56 PM

defacto7 (109 posts)

33. Using Occams razor....

That's probably what it was.

That doesn't mean it wasn't a reminder to those who know Mormon tradition.

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 01:15 PM

RT_Fanatic (200 posts)

23. Why, exactly
does a church need secrets?

Response to RT_Fanatic (Reply #23)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 01:42 PM

nc4bo (10,848 posts)

26. The church doesn't need them but the men (typically) who run the church
would find secrets, making, keeping or perhaps basing an entire ceremony on them, very convenient

Response to nc4bo (Reply #26)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 01:58 PM

defacto7 (109 posts)

34. Fear is religions greatest tool...

Berlum (689 posts)

28. OCCULTISM is both a Mormon and a Republican way of life

http://store.nicenecouncil.com/wp-content/themes/acquisto/timthumb.php?src=&h=410&w=408

grantcart (35,853 posts)

30. I'm not sure that Clint knew what a chair was for at one point.

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 01:51 PM

FreeState (6,916 posts)

32. This is not part of the temple ceremony any longer

They took it out in early 1992 (there were more "penalties" that we're also taken out).

Response to FreeState (Reply #32)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 02:00 PM

defacto7 (109 posts)

35. Thanks... I didn't know that.
Last edited Sat Sep 1, 2012, 02:00 PM USA/ET - Edit history (1)

The Masons still do the "cutting out of the tongue and casing it into the sea" thing.

DU ~ we want to be your tinfoil vendor.
 :tinfoil:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline dane

• http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/37017
Re: DU on Throat Slitting Gesture
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 02:00:49 PM »
Imagine.  All those years in Naval Aviation as a maintenance man giving that same signal to pilots to turn off their engines.

Who knew!
This too shall pass.

Offline YupItsMe

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 02:02:15 PM »
cherokeeprogressive (13,241 posts)

22. Isn't that gesture also the on-set signal for "Cut!"? n/t

Friggin party-pooper  :-)

« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 02:06:11 PM by YupItsMe »

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 02:06:21 PM »
The most crucial throat slitting required is owebumacare.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 02:17:34 PM »
Response to UTUSN (Reply #5)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 11:46 AM

joeybee12 (38,454 posts)

11. Yup...a cult...having been raised RC (now totally lapsed), I was never told

that you couldn't tell others what you believe in, that anythig was off limits...a lot of it seems weird to other religions, but it's not like you were told to hold anything back.

The wonderful world of DU: having to make excuses for everything.

I was raised Catholic...uh...but it's okay because now I'm totally lapsed.
I shopped at Walmart...uh...but it's okay because no other stores were within one million miles of my location.
I saw it on FoxNews...uh...but it's okay because the tv I watched it on was at the tire shop and I told them to change the channel.
I heard it on Rush...uh...but it's okay because the fillings in my teeth interacted with the tinfoil I wear on my head and randomly picked up the radio waves of his show.
I am a male who had sex with a female...uh...but it's okay because I was making a move on a big, hairy guy and slipped and my tallywhacker accidentally slipped into her who-ha.
I said something that made complete sense today...uh...but it's okay because when I realized it I took some mind-altering drugs and repeatedly rammed my head into a brick wall to kill some brain cells.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 03:17:40 PM by ChuckJ »
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 04:01:29 PM »
The wonderful world of DU: having to make excuses for everything.

I was raised Catholic...uh...but it's okay because now I'm totally lapsed.
I shopped at Walmart...uh...but it's okay because no other stores were within one million miles of my location.
I saw it on FoxNews...uh...but it's okay because the tv I watched it on was at the tire shop and I told them to change the channel.
I heard it on Rush...uh...but it's okay because the fillings in my teeth interacted with the tinfoil I wear on my head and randomly picked up the radio waves of his show.
I am a male who had sex with a female...uh...but it's okay because I was making a move on a big, hairy guy and slipped and my tallywhacker accidentally slipped into her who-ha.
I said something that made complete sense today...uh...but it's okay because when I realized it I took some mind-altering drugs and repeatedly rammed my head into a brick wall up my ass to kill some brain cells.
Heh.  :-)

Gesture is also used to signal cut power to engine/s.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”