Author Topic: Stories & Opinions Worth Knowing but Maybe Not Quite Threadworthy 8/18  (Read 366 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Biden’s Drug Price ‘Transparency’ Rule Is Just Back-Door Price Controls

https://issuesinsights.com/2023/08/18/bidens-drug-pricing-transparency-rule-is-just-back-door-price-controls/

The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services just proposed a rule supposedly designed to improve transparency in Medicaid.

That’s hardly the real objective, however. The proposal is a back-door effort to expand price controls in Medicaid and beyond, a surefire way to derail the next generation of medical breakthroughs.

The CMS rule would require certain drug makers to participate in annual “price verification surveys.” The agency claims the surveys will shed light on why certain drugs are priced the way they are. The kicker is that through this “survey” process, drug companies would have to share proprietary and confidential data with the government.

CMS has offered drug makers an escape route, however — much the way blackmailers and extortionists offer their victims a way out. All a company has to do to excuse itself from these annual audits is agree to set its drug prices at whatever level the government deems fair — or, as an alternative, to hand over larger rebates to Medicaid. It’s an offer they can’t refuse.

Those who don’t play ball and cut prices “voluntarily” can look forward to selective release or leaks of confidential material that activists will pounce on to apply outside pressure on prices. 

This is a flagrant abuse of government power. But more worrying still is the harm the rule would do to patients.

The expansion of price controls will immediately reduce the funds research companies have to invest in the development of new medicines. The prospect of future price controls will also scare venture investors away — critical funders of early-stage development work. In a press release, CMS glowingly characterized its new proposal as a complement to the price-setting provisions of President Biden’s Inflation Reduction Act. But scholars predict that the IRA’s price controls will reduce spending on R&D by 18.5%, resulting in 135 fewer new drug approvals by 2039.

Considering just how risky and expensive drug development is, the number of new treatments we’re forgoing could be even higher. Of all new drug candidates that enter clinical trials, only around 1 in 10 goes on to receive FDA approval. Accounting for the cost of failures, the total investment needed to bring one new medicine to approval is close to $3 billion.

For companies or investors to assume that level of risk, they need to know that they will have the ability to bring their new drug to market at a price that reflects this expensive development process. But when the government gets involved in that conversation, the odds that future drug development efforts will continue with the same fervor drop dramatically.

Meanwhile, as far as out-of-pocket drug costs go, the proposed CMS rule offers patients basically nothing. Proceeds from the added rebates or price caps would flow back into government coffers — not to patients. But don’t expect CMS to highlight that in its press releases.

Several pharmaceutical companies have already announced plans to pare back R&D in response to the Inflation Reduction Act’s price-setting provisions. It’s frightening that the Biden administration seems so cavalier about punting the future of medical innovation into unknown territory. Many of the drugs lost to these misguided policies would have treated serious ailments like cancer, or rare diseases — over 95% of which lack a single FDA-approved treatment.

Everyone is in favor of transparency. But that doesn’t mean the government should use the coercive threat of snooping to further a hidden agenda. The CMS rule is a thinly veiled effort to expand the power of the government to dictate prices, with no regard for the long-term interests of patients.

Many of those who love to badmouth "Big Pharma" generally don't have a clue how horrifically expensive it is to bring a new drug through the labyrinth of development, clinical trials, scale-up, animal studies, and the years-long effort it takes to get through that process -- without a guarantee that the drug will be approved. Failure is common. Making money is in the interest of every business, and so it is true with the pharmaceutical profession.

I was never a part of "Big Pharma" but my own experience brought me to observe this process. I have seen how convoluted and involved it is.

So for big government to want access to proprietary information that historically and legally it has never been allowed can mean only one thing - Big Brother lies, does its best to insert itself in our lives and certainly cannot be trusted.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Stories & Opinions Worth Knowing but Maybe Not Quite Threadworthy 8/18
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2023, 05:57:06 AM »
Small-Town Life Is the Anti-Twitter - The era of the internet could use a little of the discipline, moderation, and tolerance imposed by a familiar, physical community.

https://reason.com/2023/08/17/small-town-life-is-the-anti-twitter/

When I moved from New York City to rural northern Arizona, I faced two obstacles: my vocabulary and my manners. Spicy language and brusqueness were normal in the East Village, where I was unlikely to see many faces again. But they were impediments in a sparsely settled place where you run into the same people day after day. Life in a relatively rural area encourages nicer manners, so I learned to rein myself in.

The lesson doesn't come easily for everybody. "Could you do me a favor?" a Flagstaff bartender once asked me. "Could you go talk to that tourist for me? He's from New York, like you, and I just…can't. The beers are on me if you deal with him." I spoke to the guy, who resembled an exaggerated version of myself from a few years earlier. He wasn't deliberately rude, but he was in-your-face and sharp-tongued, reflecting manners shaped by faceless crowds.

"For centuries," Conor Friedersdorf wrote in 2010 for The Daily Dish, "one reason people have chosen to live in cities is the comparative privacy that they offer: unlike [in] the small town, where everybody knows your business and community ties are pervasive, the city dweller can cultivate strong community ties if he likes, even as he is an anonymous man in the crowd everywhere except his apartment elevator, his weeknight soccer league, and trivia night at the corner pub." Friedersdorf wondered if the internet would end that anonymity.

It is harder than it used to be to disguise our online identities, as anybody who has been doxxed over a tweet can attest. But the internet did allow "city dwellers to calibrate their community ties as they saw fit," in Friedersdorf's words. Anybody can find communities in the digital world. But small towns and rural areas make you interact with familiar and not always like-minded people when you step outside.

"Everybody knows everybody," retired journalist Bill Bishop noted in a 2022 Politico interview, describing La Grange, Texas, the rural town he moved to from Austin, the state capital, several years ago. "Everybody goes to the same church. Everybody goes to the same clubs. The town isn't big enough to have a liberal club over here and a conservative club over there. If you're working on X problem, you work with everybody, and so the size of the place mitigates against segregation."

Bishop is the author of The Big Sort: Why the Clustering of Like-Minded America Is Tearing Us Apart (2009). By moving from Austin to La Grange, he aimed to counter the phenomenon he had documented of self-selection into ideologically homogeneous communities. He wanted to put himself on the other side of the political and cultural divide in a search for understanding. He discovered that his new community was more blended and required greater contact with different people than the city he left behind. "The diversity of small towns is more interesting than the sort of mono-politics of the big city," he noted.

That diversity and familiarity can also be demanding. If you blow your stack at the clerk in the grocery store, it will be remembered. If you cheat somebody on a business deal, forget about future investors. And if you get caught frolicking on an exam table with one of your medical assistants, as a married local physician near here did a few years ago, call the movers; you're done.

That's not to say you won't find curmudgeons in rural areas; we're knee-deep in them. It's been 20 years since my buddy Bryan passed away of complications from a brain infection. (I wrote about him in 2013 in "Leave Room for the Mountain Men.") He was committed to an eccentric lifestyle, living off the grid for half the year. But Bryan knew how to behave in town; those who don't tend to drift and disappear when their reputations are tarnished. It's a lot easier to get away with misbehaving on Twitter than in the few places available to sell you food and beer.

Seeing the same faces every day isn't for everybody. Anonymity can be a powerful temptation, with its assurance that mistakes and lapses of temper won't follow you as baggage. But the era of the internet could use a little of the discipline, moderation, and tolerance imposed by a familiar, physical community.

After having lived in one large city years ago and many smaller cities and even a small town or three, I don't think I'd enjoy living in Andy Griffith's Mayberry. The inevitable Mrs. Kravitz from Betwitched fame seems to want to poke her nose in everyone's business and I don't cater to that very well.

Just like I don't cater to the Twitter thing. CC is the only "social media" outlet I take part in. That's enough for me.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2023, 06:05:24 AM »
The Great China-American Abyss

https://townhall.com/columnists/victordavishanson/2023/08/18/column-n2627206?bcid=d519b945f8a32ba161895b1c7231c16c5fa3cd48222b27fc1e013476354174f9&recip=29140120

Imagine if the United States treated China in the same way it does us.

What if American companies simply ignored Chinese copyrights and patents and stole Chinese ideas, inventions, and intellectual property as they pleased and with impunity?

What if the American government targeted Chinese industries by dumping competing American export products below the cost of production -- to bankrupt Chinese competitors and corner their markets?

What would the communist Chinese government do if a substantial American spy balloon lazily traversed continental China -- sending back to the United States photographic surveillance of Chinese military bases and installations?

How would China react to America stonewalling any explanation, much less refusing to apologize for such an American attack on Chinese sovereignty?

Envision a U.S. high-security virology lab in the Midwest, run by the Pentagon, allowing the escape of an engineered, gain-of-function deadly virus.

Instead of enlisting world cooperation to stop the spread of the virus, the American government would lie that it sprung up from a local bat or wild possum.

Washington would then make all its relevant military scientists disappear who were assigned to the lab while ordering a complete media blackout.

America would forbid Chinese scientists from contacting their American counterparts involved in the lab, despite the deaths of more than 1 million Chinese from the American-manufactured disease.

And what if, during the first days of the pandemic, Washington had quietly prevented all foreign travel to the United States while keeping open one-way direct flights from America to major Chinese cities?

How would Beijing respond if American biotech company warehouses were discovered in rural China with unsecured vials of deadly viruses and pathogens?

Would China be angered that an American company never notified that it had left abandoned COVID and HIV viruses and malaria parasites in its facilities? Along with rotting genetically engineered dead rats littering the floors with hundreds more lab animals abandoned in laboratory cages?

What would Chairman Xi Jinping have done if American-made fentanyl was shipped in massive quantities to nearby Tibet on the Chinese border? And what if it were deliberately repackaged there as deceptive recreational drugs and smuggled into China, where it annually killed 100,000 Chinese youth, year after year?

What if 10,000 Americans this year illegally crossed the Indian border into China and disappeared into its interior?

What if an allied Asian nation -- such as South Korea, Japan, or Taiwan -- went nuclear. And what if, in North-Korean style, it serially blustered to send one of its nuclear missiles into the major cities of China?

What if, almost monthly, China discovered an American military operative teaching incognito at a major Chinese university or among the ranks of the Chinese People's Liberation Army?

Would China object if an American femme fatale agent was sleeping with a high-ranking Chinese official of the Chinese communist politburo?

Or what if one of the chauffeurs of its top-ranking Chinese officials was a nearly two-decade-long American agent?

What would be the Chinese reaction if there were 350,000 American students attending schools all over the Chinese nation, with perhaps 3,000-4,000 of them actively engaged in national security espionage on behalf of the United States?

These "what-ifs" could be expanded endlessly. But they reflect well enough the great asymmetry in the bizarre Chinese-American relationship.

Obviously, China would not tolerate America treating it as it does the Americans.

Why, then, does the imbalance continue?

Do naive Americans believe that the more China is indulged, the more it will respond in kind to American magnanimity?

Does the U.S. believe that the more China is exposed to our supposedly radically democratic and free culture, the sooner it will become an excellent democratic citizen of the global community?

Are we afraid of China because it has four times our population and believes its economy and military will overtake ours in a decade?

Are we terrified that the Chinese government is entirely amoral, utterly ruthless, and capable of anything?

Or are our political, cultural, and corporate elites so compromised by their lucrative Chinese investments and joint ventures that they prioritize profits over their own country's national security and self-interest?

And did the Biden family -- including President Joe Biden himself -- in the past receive millions of dollars from Chinese energy and investment interests?

Did Hunter Biden's quid pro quo decade of grifting result in millions in Chinese money filling the Biden family coffers -- all in exchange for the current Biden and past Obama administrations going soft on Chinese aggression?

No one seems able to explain the otherwise inexplicable.

But one way to get along with China and to regain its respect is to deal with it precisely the way it deals with the United States.

Anything less and America will continually be treated with even more Chinese contempt-- and eventually extreme violence.

SharterJoe might be able to answer some of these questions, especially the one Hanson asks about the elite class who prioritize their profits over our own national security interests.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2023, 03:29:21 PM »
It Bee true:

Prince Immediately Regrets Waking Rachel Zegler With A Kiss After She Starts Ranting About The Patriarchy

https://babylonbee.com/news/prince-immediately-regrets-waking-rachel-zegler-with-a-kiss-after-she-starts-ranting-about-the-patriarchy

FAIRY FOREST — Prince Florian quickly regretted his decision to wake Rachel Zegler from her enchanted sleep as she immediately launched into a 3-hour-long tirade about the patriarchy.

"Yeah, this was a mistake," said Prince Florian as Ms. Zegler continued her diatribe. "I'm starting to see where the Queen was coming from."
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2023, 03:30:04 PM »
Wiki WOW! Damning Emails Reveal Manipulated Biden Wikipedia Entries

https://newsbusters.org/blogs/business/luis-cornelio/2023/08/16/wiki-wow-damning-emails-reveal-manipulated-biden-wikipedia

A new report revealed Wikipedia’s permissive role in the concerted effort to protect President Joe Biden by blocking Americans from reading politically-negative information tied to his embattled son. According to data entries reviewed by independent journalist Lee Fang, Wikipedia allowed special consultants “hired” by Hunter Biden to manipulate the “Hunter Biden” page with “stealth edits.” Wikipedia, a site funded by leftist billionaire George Soros, seemingly stood idly by as entries tying Hunter to damning bribery scandals were edited “without any fingerprints.”

As reported by Fang, Hunter ordered FTI Consulting, a crisis management public relations firm, in 2014 to help him and his dad save face by keeping Americans from accessing the Bidens’ ties to shady business dealings on Wikipedia. In one email, Hunter advised Ryan Toohey, then an advisor at FTI, that Eric Schwerin, a business partner of the Bidens, would be making “additional edits.” According to Fang, “Toohey, emails from Hunter’s laptop show, confirmed that his company would get to work.”

According to Fang, Hunter also inexplicably pushed to delete the ties between the CIA and the National Endowment for Democracy, a company he worked for, highlighting instead his board memberships at non-profits. Shortly thereafter, countless anonymous users in Wikipedia followed suit and proceeded to “airbrush” negative references on Hunter’s page.

MRC Free Speech America reached out to Toohey inquiring whether Wikipedia or President Biden were aware of the alleged manipulation but did not receive a response prior to publication.

Other than basic names and dates, I won't use W'pedia articles for info about a political person or topic. But if I want info about the Battle of the Komandorski Islands, W'pedia is a starting point. However, this goes beyond the generic hard-left slant of W'pedia on matters political. This was organized manipulation in which W'pedia as an organization may have participated, as might LIEden himself.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2023, 06:33:07 AM »
Wiki has long been a non-source for scholastic work and even most conversations but the most informal.

But often, the sources quoted underneath the base article are of value - but Wiki itself is not.

And then the Wiki folks love to hit you up for money. I don't think so, George.  :tongue: