Author Topic: Blizzard Friday/Weekend  (Read 4210 times)

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
Re: Blizzard Friday/Weekend
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2008, 11:50:51 AM »
 :o

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2008, 11:52:45 AM »
Yep.  And I'm on the Maine/NH border, about 20 miles up the road from PSM (Pease/Portsmouth).  Right where the state of NH eastern border starts going straight north/south.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Scoobie

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2008, 11:54:32 AM »
Here it comes, kids...

Stay safe, warm, and dry, Sparky.

Call me if you need anything...I can have a care package to you in a few hours.
When we are motivated by goals that have deep meaning, by dreams that need completion, by pure love that needs expressing -- then we truly live life.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2008, 11:56:23 AM »
No more cats or dogs, thanks.  Nothing I need right now, but thanks for the offer.  I hope it's not going too badly when/if they cut us loose from the shop today.  It's strange--the southern part of the state is getting hit worse than the north.  They're only getting a few flakes to a couple of inches.  We're looking at a foot today, and maybe another foot Sunday/Monday.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2008, 11:57:02 AM »
Yep.  And I'm on the Maine/NH border, about 20 miles up the road from PSM (Pease/Portsmouth).  Right where the state of NH eastern border starts going straight north/south.
I hope you shopped for the weekend and are prepared to hunker down for a few days.  
Snow is beautiful coming down...I just didn't appreciate traveling in it.  I lived in Westchester County, NY...but worked in Manhattan...it was not a happy commute on snow and slush covered streets.

Still, snow is beautiful, majestic...and I really do miss it despite my smart ass florida updates.. :-)

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2008, 11:58:06 AM »
I hope you shopped for the weekend and are prepared to hunker down for a few days.  
Snow is beautiful coming down...I just didn't appreciate traveling in it.  I lived in Westchester County, NY...but worked in Manhattan...it was not a happy commute on snow and slush covered streets.

Still, snow is beautiful, majestic...and I really do miss it despite my smart ass florida updates.. :-)

Actually just have to get some milk and bread.  Otherwise, I'm set.  I've done BBQing in colder weather than that.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2008, 11:58:16 AM »
*sigh*

From the department of monumentally stupid undertakings we are taking the 4wd into town so my wife can retrieve her laptop.

Apparantly nobody gets paid if she doesn't do paperwork.

Pray for us, lol.

Including you?  :evillaugh:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2008, 12:00:54 PM »
What do you mean...the sky is clearing over there???

We're up to 63, but we've had intermittent sprinkles all morning. Had "lightness" for all of about 15 minutes around 9am. It just keeps getting darker and darker out. Looks like it's about 5pm. We've had wind in the upper 20's....which I recognize is not a big deal out where it's flat and not many trees....but here, it's alot. Especially with all the rain we've had and trees with shallow root systems.....makes it easy for trees to fall down and go boom.

Just found out that my closing that was to happen on Monday probably won't happen until after the first.
That is not a good thing. :(  On the other hand....it will happen....which is a good thing.

asdf....y'all made our local news at noon....with your weather!

To all of you traveling about today .....please be careful and mindful of the other drivers. Stay safe <<<<hugs>>>>
Clouds are gone, and the temp is rising...66 already.    :innocent:

Clear skies may be at your end of the state tonight.   :uhsure:

edit:
Took this with the camera-phone:

« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 12:09:27 PM by lug-nut »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Scoobie

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2008, 12:01:47 PM »
No more cats or dogs, thanks.  Nothing I need right now, but thanks for the offer.  I hope it's not going too badly when/if they cut us loose from the shop today.  It's strange--the southern part of the state is getting hit worse than the north.  They're only getting a few flakes to a couple of inches.  We're looking at a foot today, and maybe another foot Sunday/Monday.

My dad (near Rutland, VT) is expecting about a foot as well, with more on Sunday.

Of course he's retired and lives for this stuff...its him vs. the storm, and come hell or highwater, he'll be out snowblowing every hour on the hour to claim victory.  :lmao:
When we are motivated by goals that have deep meaning, by dreams that need completion, by pure love that needs expressing -- then we truly live life.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2008, 12:03:28 PM »
he'll be out snowblowing every hour on the hour to claim victory.  :lmao:

Screw that.  Why waste the effort and the gas?  Just wait for it all to dump and then do it ONCE.  Sheesh. 

People act like it's the Blizzard of '78 or something all over again.  That being said, I'm going to top off the car, of course.

Offline Scoobie

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2008, 12:06:22 PM »
Screw that.  Why waste the effort and the gas?  Just wait for it all to dump and then do it ONCE.  Sheesh. 

People act like it's the Blizzard of '78 or something all over again.  That being said, I'm going to top off the car, of course.

As I said, he's retired...it's what he does. It's a shame you've never met him...then you'd understand.  :-)

But then again, you know me and how OCD I can be....apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  :uhsure:

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2008, 12:08:07 PM »
Ex-military.  Old habits die hard.  I once considered painting the outside of my house black and living in it for two months with no outside contact.  Not a pretty scene.

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2008, 12:51:24 PM »
Including you?  :evillaugh:

I take it out in trade.  :afro:

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2008, 01:34:42 PM »

The ice storm we just had was worse than the blizzard of '78.   

This is only a concern here because of the residuals from the ice storm that have not been repaired.   Two storms dumping on you when you rely on a generator for heat S-U-C-K-S at the highest level.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 01:36:29 PM by formerlurker »

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2008, 01:35:43 PM »
As I said, he's retired...it's what he does. It's a shame you've never met him...then you'd understand.  :-)

But then again, you know me and how OCD I can be....apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  :uhsure:

I have a neighbor who does the same thing -- which is smart actually because the snow is manageable when you do it every 4 inches or so. 

Offline Scoobie

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2008, 02:18:30 PM »
I have a neighbor who does the same thing -- which is smart actually because the snow is manageable when you do it every 4 inches or so. 

4 inches isn't much of a challenge.....12, on the other hand, is a whole 'nother story.....

(we're talkin' about snow, right?  :naughty:)

:innocent:

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2008, 02:22:10 PM »
Sparky, I was in Norfolk for the blizzard of 78. They got like a foot of snow there.

Here in N Central Texas, it's some 65° and sunny.  :-) 

Went shopping yesterday with a friend. Too  many idiots out driving around. One actually attempted to run me over. I hope I left a good dent in his rear quarter panel....... (F'n Sams Club)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline debk

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2008, 02:23:16 PM »

edit:

edit:

62 still, wet and windy...supposed to clear up tonight ....only to start raining again tomorrow.

ahhh well.

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Sweet Dee

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2008, 02:32:40 PM »
I don't like to brag, or steal Hawkgirl's thunder :), but it's 72 degrees in Dallas today!  Beautiful and sunny :)  My dad is up in Chicago right now and he said the weather is just awful.  I hope all of you up north are hangin' in there!! :) 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2008, 03:46:14 PM »
I'm hooooooome.  I have a new tv, and it kicks ass!  :-)   Well, it will as soon as I set it up!  :uhsure: :p

Wachovia has come through for me again, so I might give them one more chance.  The provisional credit was added to my account and investigators from the bank are on the hunt to figure out what exactly happened.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Sweet Dee

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2008, 03:50:23 PM »
I'm hooooooome.  I have a new tv, and it kicks ass!  :-)   Well, it will as soon as I set it up!  :uhsure: :p

Wachovia has come through for me again, so I might give them one more chance.  The provisional credit was added to my account and investigators from the bank are on the hunt to figure out what exactly happened.

You got your tv?  Woohoo!!  Congrats :)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2008, 04:01:24 PM »
You got your tv?  Woohoo!!  Congrats :)

This thing could actually end up replacing my laptop.  It looks like it could be the perfect monitor for a desktop computer, and its fully capable of that too. It looks much more attractive in person than it did on the Best Buy site.  As soon as I figure out the new cell phone camera and sending to my e-mail, I'll post a pic. 

I'm also without a coaxial cable, so the tv won't see any action until later on... I'm resting right now, and will run up to Target later to grab one.

Offline Sweet Dee

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2008, 04:04:50 PM »
This thing could actually end up replacing my laptop.  It looks like it could be the perfect monitor for a desktop computer, and its fully capable of that too. It looks much more attractive in person than it did on the Best Buy site.  As soon as I figure out the new cell phone camera and sending to my e-mail, I'll post a pic. 

I'm also without a coaxial cable, so the tv won't see any action until later on... I'm resting right now, and will run up to Target later to grab one.

So you did get the same tv you posted the link to a while back?  Awesome!! 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2008, 04:12:28 PM »
So you did get the same tv you posted the link to a while back?  Awesome!! 

I didn't get the LG that I wanted (due to its multiple flaws). 

This is what I ended up with, because of its excellent ratings.

Toshiba 22 @ Best Buy

Offline Sweet Dee

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2008, 04:20:11 PM »
I didn't get the LG that I wanted (due to its multiple flaws). 

This is what I ended up with, because of its excellent ratings.

Toshiba 22 @ Best Buy

Nice!!  I hope you enjoy it, once it's up and running!  :)