Author Topic: Report Credits Drop in Illegal Immigrants to Enforcement  (Read 803 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Report Credits Drop in Illegal Immigrants to Enforcement
« on: July 30, 2008, 11:33:58 PM »

if there was any doubt, this should answer any remaining questions;  enforcement works.

Report Credits Drop in Illegal Immigrants to Enforcement
Study Was Based on Census Data That Indicate Number of Less-Educated Hispanics Has Declined

A report released yesterday by a Washington think tank that advocates stricter limits on immigration says the number of illegal immigrants in the country appears to have declined significantly over the past year, at least partly because of the chilling effect of stepped-up enforcement.

The study by the Center for Immigration Studies based its findings on census data that indicate that the number of less-educated, working-age Hispanic immigrants, defined as 18-to-40-year-olds with a high school diploma or less, has dropped by more than 10 percent, or about 830,000 people, since last August.

Previous research suggests that a large share of less-educated foreigners is in the country illegally and that it makes up the bulk of the illegal immigrant population. Furthermore, although earlier declines in the number of these Hispanic immigrants have been linked to a rise in their unemployment rate, the current drop-off began last year almost immediately after Congress abandoned legislation to legalize undocumented immigrants and six months before any significant rise in their unemployment rate had occurred.

During the same period, the number of foreigners who were more educated or non-Hispanic, and therefore far less likely to be illegal immigrants, continued to rise or hold steady.

"The evidence is consistent with the idea that at least initially, more robust enforcement caused the number of illegal immigrants to decline significantly," said Steven A. Camarota, one of the study's authors. "Some people seem to think illegals are so permanently anchored in the United States that there is no possibility of them leaving. . . . This suggests they're not correct. Some significant share might respond to changing incentives and leave."

More

Offline jendf

Re: Report Credits Drop in Illegal Immigrants to Enforcement
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 11:56:53 PM »
Well imagine that. Who would have thunk it?  :whatever:

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 06:04:12 AM »
Keep it coming. They can't leave fast enough in my opinion.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Flame

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 08:34:47 AM »
has dropped by more than 10 percent, or about 830,000 people

only 10 % and it was almost a million people... :thatsright:

I would call that a friggin invasion of our country and respond accordingly.