Author Topic: Brooklyn Bridge for sale?  (Read 726 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Brooklyn Bridge for sale?
« on: July 30, 2008, 10:18:03 PM »
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07302008/news/regionalnews/crisis_puts_ny_in_sell_hell_122211.htm

CRISIS PUTS NY IN 'SELL' HELL
GOV EYES BRIDGE, ROAD PRIVATIZING

Gov. Paterson yesterday calls for a special session of the Legislature to close a ballooning budget gap.

ALBANY - Warning of an approaching economic calamity, Gov. Paterson yesterday called an emergency session of the state Legislature - and raised the specter that New York may have to sell off roads, bridges and tunnels to close a massive budget deficit.

In a rare televised address, the Democratic governor cited "private-public partnerships" involving the sale of state assets - widely condemned by critics as fiscal gimmickry - as one way to stem a tide of red ink brought on by the sagging economy and woes on Wall Street.

Wow.  I didn't know Attica prison was sold.

The "sale" of state assets has been tried in the past during difficult economic times and has been met with condemnation from budget watchdogs.

The most famous - or infamous - example: former Gov. Mario Cuomo's sale of Attica prison to a semi-independent state agency in 1991 to raise $200 million. Many critics noted that the bond sale cost the state hundreds of millions extra over the next few years.

I thought things were hunky-dory, peachy-keen, in blue states.  What gives?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
Re: Brooklyn Bridge for sale?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 10:46:12 PM »
It's hard out there for a Lib! It's getting more difficult for them to find enough suckers to finance their dreams. California is suckin' serious canal water too.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: Brooklyn Bridge for sale?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 11:41:42 PM »

so much for that famous saying, "and if you believe that, I got a bridge in brooklyn . . . ."