Author Topic: A Gulf in Giving: Oil-Rich States Starve the World Food Program  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Willow

• Limousine
United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and his top lieutenants on Monday are convening the first meeting of the U.N.’s Task Force on the Global Food Crisis. Ban says it will “study the root causes of the crisis,” and propose solutions for “coordinated global action” at a summit of world leaders in June.

Ban might want to consider convincing the oil-rich nations of the Middle East to provide more than the near-invisible amount of money they currently give to the World Food Program (WFP), the U.N.’s food-giving arm, which is charged with alleviating the food crisis.

WFP internal documents show that the major oil producing nations of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) gives almost nothing to the food organization, even as skyrocketing oil prices and swollen oil revenues contribute to the very crisis that the U.N. claims could soon add 100 million more people to the world’s starving masses.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354677,00.html

The overwhelming bulk of the burden in feeding the world’s starving poor remains with the United States and a small group of other predominately Western nations
One of Obama's bills in the Senate wants to tax the US taxpayers some 800 billion dollars to fight global poverty.
ya know they say isolationism is a bad thing for the USA, I'm tempted to say we should try it for about 10 years.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 10:43:19 AM by Willow »

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: A Gulf in Giving: Oil-Rich States Starve the World Food Program
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 10:43:08 AM »
None of this surprises me. It was the same scenario during the Asian tsunami and other countless disasters around the world. We ALWAYS pick up the tab and are expected to.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: A Gulf in Giving: Oil-Rich States Starve the World Food Program
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 01:43:34 PM »
United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and his top lieutenants on Monday are convening the first meeting of the U.N.’s Task Force on the Global Food Crisis. Ban says it will “study the root causes of the crisis,” and propose solutions for “coordinated global action” at a summit of world leaders in June.

Ban might want to consider convincing the oil-rich nations of the Middle East to provide more than the near-invisible amount of money they currently give to the World Food Program (WFP), the U.N.’s food-giving arm, which is charged with alleviating the food crisis.

WFP internal documents show that the major oil producing nations of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) gives almost nothing to the food organization, even as skyrocketing oil prices and swollen oil revenues contribute to the very crisis that the U.N. claims could soon add 100 million more people to the world’s starving masses.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354677,00.html

The overwhelming bulk of the burden in feeding the world’s starving poor remains with the United States and a small group of other predominately Western nations
One of Obama's bills in the Senate wants to tax the US taxpayers some 800 billion dollars to fight global poverty.
ya know they say isolationism is a bad thing for the USA, I'm tempted to say we should try it for about 10 years.

I see where you are coming from but damn can you imagine what the world would look like if the USA just said screw it.

To whom much is given, much is expected. - Luke 12:48
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.