Author Topic: GM closing 4 plants  (Read 2991 times)

Offline RobJohnson

GM closing 4 plants
« on: June 04, 2008, 12:06:25 PM »
WILMINGTON, Del. - General Motors is closing four truck and SUV plants in the U.S., Canada and Mexico, affecting 10,000 workers, as surging fuel prices hasten a dramatic shift to smaller vehicles

Wagoner said the GM board has approved production of a new small Chevrolet car at a plant in Lordstown, Ohio, in mid-2010 and production of the Chevrolet Volt electric vehicle in Detroit.

Wagoner announced the moves in response to slumping sales of pickups and SUVs brought on by high oil prices. He said a market shift to smaller vehicles is permanent.

GM shares rose 43 cents, or 2.5 percent, to $17.87 in midday trading.

The cuts will affect 10,000 hourly and salaried workers. Many will be able to take openings created when 19,000 more U.S. hourly workers leave later this year through early retirement and buyout offers.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080603/ap_on_bi_ge/gm_shareholders

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Re: GM closing 4 plants
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 12:18:57 PM »
....but you're in luck. My boss's Son-in-law can still build you a Ford Super Truck.

http://www.f650pickups.com/indexb.html

:-)

This is Chris and Christine with Shaq:

NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 12:34:12 PM »
....but you're in luck. My boss's Son-in-law can still build you a Ford Super Truck.

http://www.f650pickups.com/indexb.html

:-)

This is Chris and Christine with Shaq:

wow..cool pic!

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 12:40:58 PM »
I never knew about his son-in-law, but every time I walked into his office, adjacent to mine, for our phone conferences I always noticed this:

Now, my boss retired as a CW3 back in about 1989 or something like that. He's 66 years old. Not a magazine generally found on the desk of an old white guy.  :lmao:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 12:44:25 PM »
That is neat....a stretched out truck...I used to help a guy build limos in the 80's....the frames are a little scary...have a feeling they would fold up pretty good if you were ever t-boned....

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 02:18:13 PM »
The GM Plant down the street from my house will be the only plant making full sized SUVs now. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 03:28:16 PM »
The GM Plant down the street from my house will be the only plant making full sized SUVs now. 

That is great news for your area!

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 03:35:03 PM »

That is great news for your area!

Yeah, great news for them.  GM thinks there will be enough demand for the 1 plant to run regular operations. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."