Author Topic: Cable or Satellite?  (Read 26043 times)

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
Re: Cable or Satellite?
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2012, 10:12:32 PM »
Neither.  I cut those ties last year and I feel great!  I have netflix for $8.73 a month and it does everything we need.  I was paying well over $60 a month for direct tv and didn't even watch it.  I took the Dave Ramsey course and that part stuck.

We would have went without had we stayed in the city, but we're moving out in the freaking boonies.  It feels like a 10 minute drive just to get to the main highway to get anywhere else.  We're homebodies and like to stay right close to the house most of the time.  We have a walking trail right next to our house and endless TV channels at home.  We don't go out to dinner much or to the movies.  So this is our "fun" for the month.

Also stuck with Cox in case we felt the service was no longer needed.  We're not tied into a contract and can cancel at anytime.  I didn't want to pay for satellite for two years if we felt it was too expensive after a year.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2012, 11:16:58 PM »
We would have went without had we stayed in the city, but we're moving out in the freaking boonies.  It feels like a 10 minute drive just to get to the main highway to get anywhere else.  We're homebodies and like to stay right close to the house most of the time.  We have a walking trail right next to our house and endless TV channels at home.  We don't go out to dinner much or to the movies.  So this is our "fun" for the month.

Also stuck with Cox in case we felt the service was no longer needed.  We're not tied into a contract and can cancel at anytime.  I didn't want to pay for satellite for two years if we felt it was too expensive after a year.

You are not out in the boonies! You are in a great location! If you want to see what the boonies looks like, visit me.

• Oh snap!
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2012, 11:22:50 PM »
You are not out in the boonies! You are in a great location! If you want to see what the boonies looks like, visit me.

It's the boonies compared to where we live now.  Currently, we live about three miles from The Strip.  Two miles from McCarran and there is a Walmart/Sam's Club right next door.

Now our closet Walmart is all the way up Rainbow at the 215.  I don't mind though.  It's quiet and relaxing out there.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2012, 11:34:28 PM »
It's the boonies compared to where we live now.  Currently, we live about three miles from The Strip.  Two miles from McCarran and there is a Walmart/Sam's Club right next door.

Now our closet Walmart is all the way up Rainbow at the 215.  I don't mind though.  It's quiet and relaxing out there.

You still have some awesome retail therapy opportunities near your new home.

We have one department store in my town of 35,000 people, Wal Mart. We also have a large Home Depot.
Shopping here sucks!

I do understand what you are saying, but you will be in a great community in which to raise your daughter and to enjoy your neighborhood.

Offline Conservative_Sangfroid

• Banned
  • ENOUGH!
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2012, 09:29:57 PM »
I posted this on Facebook too, but I need lots of opinions!!

OKAY! I need some opinions from my highly opinionated friends. Since we are getting ready to move, I am shopping around for the best TV packages. We have always used our local company (Cox) because it's been included in our rent package since... forever. Now that we are free to chose what we like, should I go with cable or satellite? I get a discount if I go with Direct TV (through employer), but I don't want to take a service just because I get a discount. I want it to be worth the money. I shy away from satellite because of the contract agreement. What say you? If you have satellite, do you love/like/hate it? Is it just better to stick with a local cable provider?

I just need to know the pros/cons of a satellite.  We've never had it.  We don't have many weather problems here, except for high winds in the spring and fall.

I had direct TV for a long time and it's dvr system is better,

I have comcast now and it has on-demand which direct tv doesn't.

Comcast cost less.  Direct TV can be affected by storms so, especially if you live in hurricane or tornado alley you might want to consider cable.

But apart from that either is good.
ENOUGH!

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2012, 10:44:57 PM »
I had direct TV for a long time and it's dvr system is better,

I have comcast now and it has on-demand which direct tv doesn't.

Comcast cost less.  Direct TV can be affected by storms so, especially if you live in hurricane or tornado alley you might want to consider cable.

But apart from that either is good.

Directv has 'On Demand'. They call it cinema. Comcast also cost more. Do a recent price comparison for what you get, and you will see that comcast charges considerably more. As for storms, it all depends on what kind it is, how the system is installed. In the four years that I have had Directv now, it only went out twice because of weather. And of course you can expect to lose tv if you live in hurricane alley. Even comcast wouldn't last through that.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2012, 11:45:49 PM »
rain fade is quite common in the smaller dishes, properly installed or not. We had one small dish at our head end and constantly lost signal on it during heavy downpours. Our larger dishes never lost signal unless an LNb went out. You can rest assured that the small dish was properly installed and tweaked in.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline RayRaytheSBS

• "There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men."
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2012, 12:41:14 PM »
I know a lot of people like Dish, I happen to like Cable. I got a special deal for $160 a month, I get tons of channels and movies and 6 Boxes, phone service and internet are included.

Can I also make another suggestion to you? especially since you have a child, think about getting Roku, I have the purple box which is under $50, I have 2 right now and I'm going to ask for a new tv and a roku for the kitchen, it's absolutely awesome. I use Roku with my Netflix and Prime subscription, but there are tons of free stations available, it really increases your viewing choices:

Roku:

http://www.roku.com/

List of channels, click on a channel to see which ones are free or subscriptions:

http://www.rokuguide.com/channels

How happy are you with Roku? Has it been a good investment in your opinion? My wife is wanting to get cable as we cannot seem to get local channels on our TV. And this seems like a much smarter option than cable if that is all we are wanting. I already have the netflix subscription as well, so I feel this will help maximize that savings.
“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms”

“The best things in life are beyond money; their price is agony and sweat and devotion ... and the price demanded for the most precious of all things in life is life itself - ultimate cost for perfect value.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2012, 12:54:51 AM »
I have a friend who bought a Roku box. She was extremely happy with it after I got it set up on her network and running.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2012, 07:06:16 AM »
I took a look at Roku last night. It doesn't have enough for me.

One thing I do like is Slingbox, though.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2012, 04:23:42 PM »

I had a dream last night that you will be having customer service issues with Cox.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2012, 04:32:53 PM »
I had a dream last night that you will be having customer service issues with Cox.

:lmao:

• Oh snap!
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2012, 05:24:48 PM »
Ass.  Lol

I took care of it and actually got a better deal than before.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2012, 11:31:35 PM »
Ass.  Lol

I took care of it and actually got a better deal than before.

O-)

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
  • PhD from Sarcastic State
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2012, 11:37:15 PM »
Dish has The Blaze TV standard with the 250 package.

Or $5/month a la carte
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

"Metaphors needn't be explained to educated people"-Ted
Nugent

"Life ain't fair. Get over it or wear a helmet" -diesel driver

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2012, 11:58:07 PM »
Dish has The Blaze TV standard with the 250 package.

Or $5/month a la carte
\

I just seen an ad for that. I finally figured out where Glen Beck went.

I remember years ago Dish allowing a la carte channels for people that were missing one station but did not want to upgrade to the next level of programing.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2012, 05:19:17 PM »
The AT&T U-verse guy stopped by earlier today to scope out the house.  They said they would cover the installation cost at no charge.

I didn't realize it was fiber, or at least it's fiber up to the curb... I assumed it was some DSL-on-steroids.  It's only ten bucks more than cable and comes with bunch of TV channels.  I'm seriously thinking of switching.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2012, 05:22:41 PM »
The AT&T U-verse guy stopped by earlier today to scope out the house.  They said they would cover the installation cost at no charge.

I didn't realize it was fiber, or at least it's fiber up to the curb... I assumed it was some DSL-on-steroids.  It's only ten bucks more than cable and comes with bunch of TV channels.  I'm seriously thinking of switching.

Yeah, U-verse is fiber. I'd just get the internet and keep Directv.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2012, 05:24:39 PM »
I don't have a satellite dish.

It comes with 4-channel DVR as well.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2012, 05:27:25 PM »
I don't have a satellite dish.

It comes with 4-channel DVR as well.

Yep... Directv has a 5-channel whole home HD-DVR now ...

Edited to add home.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:26:40 PM by Kyle Ricky »

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2012, 05:59:39 PM »

How happy are you with Roku? Has it been a good investment in your opinion? My wife is wanting to get cable as we cannot seem to get local channels on our TV. And this seems like a much smarter option than cable if that is all we are wanting. I already have the netflix subscription as well, so I feel this will help maximize that savings.

I'm sorry, I just saw this post. I love love love my Roku, we have 2 now and I'm going to get 1 for the kitchen, my husband is going to buy me a new TV and the Roku as a Christmas gift, he doesn't know that yet though LOL. There are tons of channels free for Roku.

Click each 1 to see which 1 is free and which 1 requires a subscription:

http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store#15

http://www.rokuguide.com/

Also there something called playon that works with Roku and a ton of other devices, and look at the channels you get for $39 a year:

http://www.playon.tv/

"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Chris_

« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2012, 06:00:51 PM »
I'm considering getting a Roku.  Right now, my Blu-ray player plays Netflix and YouTube but nothing else and isn't upgradeable.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2012, 06:35:41 PM »
I'm considering getting a Roku.  Right now, my Blu-ray player plays Netflix and YouTube but nothing else and isn't upgradeable.

They add new channels all the time, I just added 3 new channels. Here's the link for the new channels added that is always being updated:

http://www.rokuguide.com/

I stream Netflix and we have an Amazon Prime membership so I get some free movies from that or I can rent a movie from Amazon for like $2.99. Only thing with Roku is they don't stream Youtube, they did at 1 time but I think Google stopped them from doing it.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2012, 09:35:12 PM »
I noticed that Roku has GBTV (Glenn Beck Television) .. The rest of it looks like they took a bunch of streams you can get online for free and put them on on a box to hook up to your tv, at which they charge you for.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:37:13 PM by Kyle Ricky »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2012, 09:40:11 PM »
I noticed that Roku has GBTV (Glenn Beck Television) .. The rest of it looks like they took a bunch of streams you can get online for free and put them on on a box to hook up to your tv, at which they charge you for.
Yes, that was the whole idea behind Roku.  It's been around for a few years.