Author Topic: Steak  (Read 15910 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: Steak
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2010, 12:15:20 AM »
Thor bait !!

I knew you would be back sooner or later. :-)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2010, 12:23:29 AM »
And I am soooooo OCD about any raw meat. If I handle any kind of raw meat or eggs, I wash wash wash my hands and bleach my counters and sink!!  :rotf:

Nowadays, pretty much the only raw meat that one really needs to be concerned with is chicken, some fish and ground meats. Eggs, if you get good quality eggs (NOT from chain stores) are OK. I've never had any cross contamination. Of course, I also have a cast iron stomach, so most "bugs" don't bother me.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2010, 12:28:32 AM »
Nowadays, pretty much the only raw meat that one really needs to be concerned with is chicken, some fish and ground meats. Eggs, if you get good quality eggs (NOT from chain stores) are OK. I've never had any cross contamination. Of course, I also have a cast iron stomach, so most "bugs" don't bother me.

you do realize that you have just posted an erudite exposition on the subject of eating raw meat, right? :-) :tongue:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2010, 12:35:15 AM »
well, I've been eating raw meat (beef)  and eggs for at least 48  years ........ :popcorn:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2010, 12:39:55 AM »
well, I've been eating raw meat (beef)  and eggs for at least 48  years ........ :popcorn:

I am totally not touching that.   :fuelfire:  WEv1.0 would have plastered into a banter, but you would have had to ban me at the end of it.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2010, 12:41:04 AM »
I did leave an opening, huh ??  :popcorn:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2010, 12:48:31 AM »
I did leave an opening, huh ??  :popcorn:

I am totally running away.  an explosion is due.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2010, 01:16:57 AM »
Lessee.

Thor says, "I've been eating raw meat (beef) and eggs for at least 48 years."

Uh huh. Right. Gotcha.

I am SO not going there......

:rotf:       :uhsure:         

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2010, 01:20:57 AM »
Lessee.

Thor says, "I've been eating raw meat (beef) and eggs for at least 48 years."

Uh huh. Right. Gotcha.

I am SO not going there......

:rotf:       :uhsure:         

running and laffin;

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2010, 03:55:56 AM »
Something I call a venison martini. The day I butcher the deer after hanging a few days in cold weather. It is tradition in my house. Cut the backstrap (loin) in 1 1/2" medalions season with pepper and garlic. Get a cast iron skillet HOT and add butter and seer steak about 2 min on each side, add about 1/2 cup dry vermouth and make a sauce out of pan drippings. Serve rare and hot on hot plate. num yummy. Comming soon! Best steak you will ever, can ever eat!
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2010, 12:49:50 PM »
A nice rib eye medium rare. I used to put granulated garlic and pepper on before cooking, and lightly salt after. These days I use a little Montreal Steak seasoning.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2010, 12:56:43 PM »
If I am going to eat meat, the piece has to be room temperature before I would even think of cooking it.

Now I have a BITCH about bones.   Beef Marrow bones that I buy for soups and seasoning and give to my dogs to keep their teeth healthy.

Price has gone through the roof.  Like buying a 2 lb. lobster and getting if lucky, 1/2 lb. of meat from both.

Yesterday Hubby came home with store brand pack of 6 bones at ---$2.29 a pound.   For freaking bones. Demoulas brand.

When I removed them from the package and turned them over there were black streaks on the bottom of each bone.

Having spent 22 some odd years around processing plants for fish I knew right off that the marks came from a dirty saw blade. Perhaps the blade was oiled and not cleaned properally, what ever that pack went to the dogs,  the second pack was imported from So. America and clean as a whistle.

Two years ago these marrow bones sold for .50 cents a lb.  Some stores gave them away in fact.

Sign of the times that all the out of work people are turning to beans, rice, marrow bones a can or two of veggies to fill their belly's.  They have embraced the So. East Asian diet and feeding a family of 4 for $20.00 a week.

Watch as the price for rice and dried beans triples in the next 6 months.  Vegetable oil will also jump up big time and in the cold climates the cost of frozen vegetables or canned will double.

Eggs, well we know what happend there, an excuse to double the price for them.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2010, 02:39:23 PM »
Bones w/ marrow in them make a wonderful broth. Ask Eupher, aka "Spoons".....  That's WHY grocery stores are charging as much as they are. Personally, I don't care for meat without bones except for ribeyes. The bones add in extra flavor that can't be added by any other means.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2010, 05:17:45 PM »
Bones w/ marrow in them make a wonderful broth. Ask Eupher, aka "Spoons".....  That's WHY grocery stores are charging as much as they are. Personally, I don't care for meat without bones except for ribeyes. The bones add in extra flavor that can't be added by any other means.

Yup. When a restaurant actually takes the time to make stock, you know it's a class act and the food will be a cut above the norm.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2010, 12:34:47 PM »
I love me some bone-in New Yorks, medium rare. They need to be 1 1/2" thick.

Next best is Ahi Tuna, barely done (1/4 "grey" around the edges) nearly raw but warmed in the middle, crusted with black pepper.

http://americanfood.about.com/od/seafood/r/searedahi.htm     :drool:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2010, 12:36:58 PM »

Next best is Ahi Tuna, barely done (1/4 "grey" around the edges) nearly raw but warmed in the middle, crusted with black pepper.

Or, crusted with sesame seeds!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2010, 10:49:21 PM »

Love Ahi tuna....barely done or raw.

Had a freshly caught tuna steak in St Croix....rare and wonderful, a soy sauce glace with an smashed avocado (not guac) on the side. Surprisingly a wonderful combination.  :drool:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2010, 12:21:39 AM »
Cowboy bone-in ribeye, medium rare, just a bit of blue cheese butter on top.

Failing that, some nice tender steak tips or a Santa Maria tri-tip.

And as far as sesame seeds on seared Ahi...Roy's.  Anyone who's ever been there knows of which I speak.

Steak Tartare?  Delmonico's in Las Vegas--which also serves an incredible steak.

Finally, back to ahi--THIS is what GOOD Ahi should look like:

“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline debk

« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2010, 12:26:07 AM »
Cowboy bone-in ribeye, medium rare, just a bit of blue cheese butter on top.

Failing that, some nice tender steak tips or a Santa Maria tri-tip.

And as far as sesame seeds on seared Ahi...Roy's.  Anyone who's ever been there knows of which I speak.

Steak Tartare?  Delmonico's in Las Vegas--which also serves an incredible steak.

Finally, back to ahi--THIS is what GOOD Ahi should look like:

Ahi tartare is wonderful!!! I don't know of any place that serves it here, either... :bawl:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2010, 12:34:49 AM »
Ah, ahi poke.  That and kelaguen are about the only good things I got from living in Guam.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2010, 12:42:58 AM »

I agree, YUM!

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2010, 01:39:22 AM »
That's one thing I loathe about being  more in the Central US than on the coasts........ they don't have good seafood!! (I don't consider Red Lobster, "good", just OK, at best)

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2010, 02:53:55 AM »
That's one thing I loathe about being  more in the Central US than on the coasts........ they don't have good seafood!! (I don't consider Red Lobster, "good", just OK, at best)

I don't even consider that very good, or even okay.  And yeah, I just saw how much they're charging for bugs there.  WTF?

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2010, 07:01:00 AM »

There are a few places you can get good seafood around here.  But you have to PAY for it.  I don't mind, every once in a while.  Tomorrow, I am going to Blue Fish, in Las Colinas.  I'll be ordering the ahi tower now I guess....

http://www.thebluefishsushi.com/

There is one in Allen too. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2010, 08:22:13 AM »
There are a few places you can get good seafood around here.  But you have to PAY for it.  I don't mind, every once in a while.  Tomorrow, I am going to Blue Fish, in Las Colinas.  I'll be ordering the ahi tower now I guess....

http://www.thebluefishsushi.com/

There is one in Allen too. 

With all of the construction on 75 in McKinney, I don't go past McKinney unless I really, really HAVE to.