Author Topic: poll: how often do you shop for groceries?  (Read 14925 times)

Offline debk

Re: poll: how often do you shop for groceries?
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2009, 10:22:49 AM »
I think you two have given me some ideas....

I hate spending money on food....as much as I love food and to cook for people.....you shop, you cook, you eat, you clean up the kitchen....you poop. :(
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2009, 05:01:56 PM »
I think you two have given me some ideas....

I hate spending money on food....as much as I love food and to cook for people.....you shop, you cook, you eat, you clean up the kitchen....you poop. :(

Food and beer are merely "rented"........
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2009, 11:20:55 PM »
Once a month for general goods and meats and once a week for fresh fruits and vegetables.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2009, 02:52:15 AM »
Vesta....I don't know if Big Lots takes coupons or not. I find lots of stuff there. Pasta, and they have a pasta sauce that I like that is at the Fresh Market and I won't pay their price. Crackers, Quaker Oats oatmeal packs, Progresso soups, Ghiradelli chips -dark, milk, and white, juices. These little flat wafer cookies that I use to make cheesecake crust that are several different flavors and atrociously expensive at Kroger's. Like I said, it varies.

I never think about going on line for coupons. I sometimes look at the ones in the Sunday paper but they rarely have what I want.

I know this is probably a dumb question, but does Walmart even take coupons?

Sure and they match the price of other stores.    Say Kroger has a sale for 50 cents a can  for beans and some other stores has the same thing for 45 cents a can, bring in the ad for the other store and you get the canned goods at 45 cents at walmart.   You have a coupon for 50 cents off 2 cans then if you buy 6 of them with 3 coupons for 50 cents off that is $  45  cans x6 or $2.70-- with the coupons that is $1.50 0ff the price or all costs you come out with  about $ .20.   for 6 cans of beans that is 20 cents a can.

Kikkoman  had a sale for 2 bottles for $5.00. I had a coupon for $1. off 2.  When I got to the store I noticed a tab on the top of the bottles that said " save 55 cents now.

That is for 2    $1,10 in savings and the coupon  took another dollar off,  darn near got it free,

This is a game or hobby that that is deadly serious.

It will take me a few weeks to organise my Treasure hunt. figure out what is best for me and how to take advantage of the offers,

Kind of fun, some shoppers get to know the store checkers and what not and get a head up on what will go on sale next week.    

Had I been friendly with a worker at Home depot I would have held off buying my washer and dryer, darn that thing went on sale 60 days after I paid $1,500 for the 2.  Had I known about the coming sale  I could have gotten both for  $900.0

This does not have to be a heavy job, once you get the hang of it that cookie jar will be full with enough to send you on a vacation and after all----- it is found money.

Please give it a try Debk and let me know what bargains you find.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2009, 05:49:21 PM »
My brother and SIL play "the game"  they save huge amounts of money...they even use coupons (2) on the buy one, get one free deal.   Me, not so much.  Mainly because I end up buying crap that I don't even use, or that is unhealthy.  I do use coupons for formula, diapers, wipes...and things of that sort for the baby.
Maybe one day, I'll have motivation for the game.

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2009, 06:32:57 PM »
Once a month

Offline longview

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2009, 11:13:28 AM »
Once a month for most of it, and once or twice in-between to get extra milk. 

Offline kenth

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2009, 06:43:38 PM »
Every two to three days for mostly fresh stuff with a larger trip every couple of weeks or so for staple items.

Offline debk

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2009, 11:29:56 PM »
I hit Sam's yesterday on an empty stomach......that was such a stupid thing to do!!!!  :thatsright:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline kenth

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2009, 11:39:26 PM »
I hit Sam's yesterday on an empty stomach......that was such a stupid thing to do!!!!  :thatsright:

Oh yeah, can get in trouble fast that way.  :-)

Offline debk

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2009, 11:43:23 PM »
Oh yeah, can get in trouble fast that way.  :-)

I went there first then next door to Walmart.....the other half said nasty words to me when he opened up the back end of my car.... :bawl:

....then he said....."you haven't had anything to eat today, have you?"