Author Topic: Sunday is for slouching(day thread goodness)  (Read 3980 times)

Offline jtyangel

Sunday is for slouching(day thread goodness)
« on: January 06, 2008, 08:51:15 AM »
So it is almost 10 and I see no day thread :bawl: Meh, I'm putting off school work and getting the kids school clothes ready for their return tomorrow so I'll do it!

It's typically gray here in the central OH today, but thankfully it has warmed and we are expecting 70 by my bday on Tuesday. Now that's a gift I'll take--near summer like weather. :-)

Arrangements are made for my bil's memorial and today really is just a day of nothing much going on on that front. We went to the mil's last night where most of the other siblings were and played the video tribute set to songs his brother loved. The one that probably got the most tears rolling were his most recent pictures set to Johnny Cash's Dirt. You'd have to know my bil to know the song choices. He was a traveling type man, got along with everyone, but an alchoholic. He was a character and would talk to anybody. He and I had some roundabout debates on religion--one that got him kicked out my house once :lmao:(see I'm not always sweet). He also would discuss history and current events a lot.
He was the type of person that didn't have a lot, but would give you the shirt off of his back if he could.  If he could have kicked the bottle(and the cigs) he would have probably lived to a ripe old age, but the bottle  mostly was his demon. It's a pity, he was really something else under all that. All his medical problems were exacerbated by Hepatitis which he contracted years ago in an emergency surgery. He just couldn't kick the bottle though to get himself on the transplant list. Vices and the emotional problems that underly them can be wicked things and lead people on a path of lifelong self-destruction--my bil was one such casualty of those things. His name was Eddie so if you say a little prayer we'd appreciate it. He was the 2nd oldest of 7 and the oldest brother of 3 brothers.

Sorry to be such a downer, but Ed was a good fellow plagued by his own demons. I felt the need to pay tribute to him in some way, in my own way.

Other then that, please, everybody contribute as you normally would. I guess that is the input I needed to make today in the day thread.

TOTD: What music would you want at your memorial? Include both contemporary and religious music if you have both.

I have to think on this a bit.

Offline Flame

Re: Sunday is for slouching(day thread goodness)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 09:02:24 AM »
Lazy day here...slept in 'til 9!  The Nyquil did it's trick last night.

Gotta do some laundry and general cleaning today.  Nothing exciting, so I'll probably be around here a lot!

TOTD:  I've no idea, really. 

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 09:07:03 AM »
TOTD: Not sure I want a service,have always said they could just drag me into the woods and leave me there.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 09:38:27 AM »
TOTD: Not sure I want a service,have always said they could just drag me into the woods and leave me there.

LOL...I've told folks here to burn me and throw me out over my favorite jetty(hey jty(jetty) angel came from somewhere you know :tongue:)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 09:56:53 AM »
I'm still sitting around--it's about 9:45 a.m. central time, 8:45 a.m. mountain time--because I'm getting conflicting instructions from different people about the motor vehicle, which is 40 miles away, and trying to iron out those contradictory instructions so that something works.

It's supposed to be a "good" week, weatherwise, here in Nebraska.  There might even be couple of days where Nebraska is warmer than Lost Angeles, for example.

As for "memorial music," my instructions, consistent with my religious belief that the body is dust, the soul is Eternal, are that I'm supposed to be disposed of no better than the poorest person in the county, such as an unidentified vagrant, is disposed of.  I have no idea what that is.

I had a high-school guidance counselor who had a reputation for being "anti-religious," and when he died a couple of years ago, there was no service.  He wasn't anti-religious, though.

This guidance counselor, as a green 18-year-old in the U.S. Army in 1945, had been one of the first--probably one of the first five or six people specifically--to come upon a concentration camp in southern Germany.

It was a shock.  And no one had any idea it was there, or what it was.

Anyway, it marked him so much he finally decided that people much better than he had been "disposed of" with no marking of their passing, and so what right did he have to get any special treatment?

As for music if a memorial service were held, the same thing I did for the siblings; "The trumpet shall sound" aria from Handel's Messiah, with ear-shattering fanfares of trumpets cracking the stained glass of the windows.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 10:04:51 AM »
The sun is shining brightly here today, and it has warmed up considerably too. I have no idea what the high is supposed to be today, but I did here a snippet on the news last saying something about it being 70 degrees sometime soon. Yippppeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

Not too much going on here today. Laundry, which is everyday around here  :lmao:

TOTD: Never thought about the music I'd want played at my funeral. I do know that I want to be cremated and scattered across an ocean, because I love the ocean. I haven't even decided which ocean, though.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 10:18:46 AM »
Hooray for global warming!  :-)

It's 60 degrees right now, and supposed to warm up a tad more. Today, well, it's going to be a lazy day for the most part. Watching the NFC game and munching on Pizza rolls and chips and all that, then I dunno what the hell I'm doing with the rest of the day.

TOTD: No music..... hell, no funeral. With expensive as they are, I told my folks my final wishes are just roll me up in a carpet and toss me off the Bob Michael Bridge.   :-)

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 10:40:51 AM »
The sun is shining brightly here today, and it has warmed up considerably too. I have no idea what the high is supposed to be today, but I did here a snippet on the news last saying something about it being 70 degrees sometime soon. Yippppeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

Not too much going on here today. Laundry, which is everyday around here  :lmao:

TOTD: Never thought about the music I'd want played at my funeral. I do know that I want to be cremated and scattered across an ocean, because I love the ocean. I haven't even decided which ocean, though.

Come hang out on my jetty, Lady :-)

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 12:12:22 PM »
Staying home from church, baby is sick with a bad cold. :(

Music: "Awesome God" and "Angel" from Sarah McLeaion or however you spell her name. Plus "Amazing Grace" on bagpipes.

Offline jendf

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 12:21:38 PM »
I woke up, looked at the clock that said 8:30, rolled over, woke up again, and darted out of bed when the clock said 10:30. I had fallen back to sleep for another two hours!

On the agenda today is cleaning up, getting ready for work tomorrow. It's back to work for me after six-days of vacation bliss.

TOTD: Like Carl, I wouldn't want a service either. My grandmother requested this before she passed. My dad was not nearly as stressed as I think he would have been if he had been required to plan a funeral service. The family went out to dinner and talked, laughed, and cried about her life over steaks and beers. Not that's a way to be remembered!

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 02:16:35 PM »

That is gorgeous!

"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 02:22:02 PM »

I'll just say ditto - maybe pile some rocks oer me.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 02:52:10 PM »
I'm just sitting around.  I've managed to no accomplish anything so far this weekend.

TOTD:  I haven't thought about it really.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 03:08:14 PM »
I'm just sitting around.  I've managed to no accomplish anything so far this weekend.

:rotf:

Barack Obama

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 03:24:29 PM »

That is gorgeous!
g[/img]

Yep, it's my 'thinking place'. One of the places I miss most about Florida. It's where I'd like my ashes scattered. All the other stuff I let my family decide. If they want a memorial, it will be for them, not for me.