Author Topic: So, I had a flat tire today  (Read 12309 times)

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
So, I had a flat tire today
« on: October 27, 2014, 08:04:56 PM »
It's all good since I made it home but here are some of the things I learned.

Get your spare tire out and check it, make sure that it is aired up and is compatible with the trick wheels and tires that are on the other corners of your ride.

A 4-way lug wrench is nice to have. Of course it must fit the lug nuts on your wheels.

A cheater bar is nice to have. Of course it must fit over the parts of the wrench that don't fit your lug nuts.

Keep a pair of work gloves in your ride, it's a dirty job and you might scuff up your knuckles.

Own a cell phone? It can't help you if it is sitting at home.

While you are crawling around under your truck, look around, you might be surprised by the things that need attention.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline Dori

Re: So, I had a flat tire today
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 08:26:49 PM »
I just call AAA.   :-)
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 09:15:09 PM »
I just call AAA.   :-)

Sadly, I had to do that once.  I hope I don't lose my man card for that, but let me explain.  :-)

In my former existence of the adventure of life, I bought my at the time father-in-laws' Maxima.  It was only a couple of years old, pretty low miles and loaded, didn't examine everything other than the paperwork.  Played golf one beautiful fall Sunday morning.  On the long drive back home  into Chicago (gotta usually drive a good distance to the burbs for worthwhile courses), got a flat on an expressway.  Pulled out the spare, and what I thought were all the requisite tools.  Turned out, there was no lug wrench.

Broke down & just called AAA.  Had only until 4 or 5:00 to get the tire patched on a Sunday afternoon.  Missed watching football, but got it accomplished.  Father-in-law had accidentally taken the lug wrench when he cleaned the trunk out.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 09:19:30 PM »
Thanks for the advice. :)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 10:05:44 PM »
The worst experience with roadside assistance was trying to get the Fairlane from Huntsville to Nashville.  Apparently, there are four exits along the interstate that follow the same road for a dozen miles.  I gave them the address I had and it took them almost five hours to get someone there with a tow.  All the others were usually there in an hour. 

When the distributor cap on the MG broke, I had to sit there for two hours and I was only a few miles from home.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 02:52:22 PM »
Now that you have fixed your flat tire, fix this...

edit retry
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 03:50:38 PM by obumazombie »
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 02:57:52 PM »
Now that you have fixed your flat tire, fix this...

Hmm.. just getting...

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 03:51:02 PM »
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 04:10:51 PM »
How about now ?

Much better -- in execution and ideation :) *pop*
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline longview

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 07:29:12 PM »
Good tips.

I had one on Tuesday.  I would like to be able to stow a floor jack and a small air bomb in the back of the truck, but those might me pretty tempting things for someone else.  I'm working up near the Bakken fields and not everyone is there for the high paying work. 

I got soooo lucky, though.

I was 55 miles north, northeast of town.  The county had recently graded the roads and sharp shale was jutting up.  That's what got mine.  Tire starts going flat at a high rate of speed.  I'm stopped and resign myself to changing the thing.  A young guy pops over the hill in a truck, pulling a horse trailer.  He stops looks at the tire, looks at me, and recognized me from when I used to play cowboy and bluegrass with friends at a remote bar a year ago.  He says "Hurry!  My shop is only a mile away!"  By the time I got there, the truck's super fancy sensor system was recording the psi at 3#.

We get there, he wouldn't let me do a thing.  We catch up on news about family and friends and I finally get to the first town with a tire store about ninety more miles.  I'm going to drop some homemade cookies and bread at their place next week.

No cell service.  Got lucky there was a place so close.  Gotta figure out how to secure a floor jack and little air bomb in the back end.  I always keep a flat repair kit in the glove box.