Author Topic: I'm making our grocery list  (Read 8302 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
I'm making our grocery list
« on: January 14, 2008, 03:39:08 PM »
catmandu57  (1000+ posts)      Mon Jan-14-08 10:37 AM
Original message
I'm making our grocery list, trimming an already trimmed
 down list. I'm trying to decide do we really need a bottle of ketchup? Or can we hold off until the first of the month. Do I buy the large bag of cheap cereal or do I scimp by on the small one. I tell you I'd hate to be trying to feed a family right now, it's taking more ands more just to run on a shoestring for the two of us.
It really is going to be an economic election this year.

livetohike  (1000+ posts)      Mon Jan-14-08 10:43 AM
Response to Original message
1. There's just the two of us and I spend over $100/week
 now. I don't know how families are making it. I've always been thrifty on groceries even when we were both working. We're retired now.

RebelOne  (1000+ posts)      Mon Jan-14-08 10:45 AM
Response to Reply #1
2. There is just one of me and 2 dogs
 and I spend about $75 to $100 a week. And I am a vegetarian, so I am not even buying meat. But I do feed it to my dogs
link

Turns into a really long and competitive thread about how hard done by they are.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 03:51:54 PM by bijou »

Offline DaSaintFan

Re: I'm making our grocery list
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 03:51:18 PM »
Wife started going to gym, and they gave her recipes to follow... so guess who else has to follow the "rabbit food" diet now....   

FEED ME SOME STEAKS OR SOMETHING !!!

(she's even threatening to take my alcohol. =  "too many calories".... HEWWWP!!!  *heheh*)

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 03:57:16 PM »
 now. I don't know how families are making it. I've always been thrifty on groceries even when we were both working. We're retired now.
You spend over 100 dollars aweek for 2 people? Thats $400 a month. Stop buying th ******* cigs,beer and convenience food :whatever: I spend $500-$650 a month for five people.We have something different every night. Just like a dummie doesn't plan or live within its means and expects others to sympathize :whatever:
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Flame

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 05:01:16 PM »
You spend over 100 dollars aweek for 2 people? Thats $400 a month. Stop buying th ******* cigs,beer and convenience food :whatever: I spend $500-$650 a month for five people.We have something different every night. Just like a dummie doesn't plan or live within its means and expects others to sympathize :whatever:

Ditto that!

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 05:08:45 PM »
You know who else liked to make lists?

(OK, that was dumb) LOL
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 05:38:56 PM »
But they all have internet connections and money to give to $kimmer, not to mention their favorite candidate.. :mental:

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 05:42:09 PM »
*sniff*

I feel terrible for the OP.

I wonder how much that internet connection it's using costs? That'll buy a lot of ketchup, I'm thinking.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 05:48:29 PM »
Wife started going to gym, and they gave her recipes to follow... so guess who else has to follow the "rabbit food" diet now....   

FEED ME SOME STEAKS OR SOMETHING !!!

(she's even threatening to take my alcohol. =  "too many calories".... HEWWWP!!!  *heheh*)

Fight with every fiber of your being.  scream "they might take our ketchup, but THEY'LL NOT TAKE OUR BOOZE!!!"

Then show your ass.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 06:00:03 PM »
rug  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jan-14-08 04:03 PM
11. Any candidate who does not understand this post should not be elected.
ROTFLOLPOTF!!!

OK, now we know.  Somehow the candidates need to "fix" an economy with a < 5% unemployment rate and a < 2.5% inflation rate.

These people should move to France and get it over with.  Oh, wait.  France has 8.5+% unemployment -- and I suspect new non muslim immigrants will NOT be welcome.

These people are dumber than dirt.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 06:05:36 PM »
They would fall over dead from the shock of trying to buy groceries in some other countries. Just sayin'...........

And they can afford an internet connection and a probably a contribution to the DU collection plate but ketchup has them vexed???? Puleez.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 06:09:10 PM »
They would fall over dead from the shock of trying to buy groceries in some other countries. Just sayin'...........

And they can afford an internet connection and a probably a contribution to the DU collection plate but ketchup has them vexed???? Puleez.

The solution: steal them!  This is consistent with the liberal value of conversion...
RoadRage  Donating Member  (295 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jan-14-08 10:12 PM
77. Skip the bottle of Ketchup..

Hit McDonalds for 1 hamburger ($.79) and then raid their ketchup packets. 100 packets should get you through the month.. unless you have 2 kids.. then you'd better grab a few more. Ohh.. and pick up some napkins too - that will save you a few more $$$.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 06:11:49 PM »
^but isn't that feeding the corporate beast that is McDonald's? Isn't McDonald's responsible for killing our kids?? They are slipping. Or someone isn't cross-referencing the talking points.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 06:36:36 PM »
I went shopping at Wal-Mart two weeks in a row (very rare for me).  I noticed some things had gone up in price and some had gone down in that week's time.  Heinz Ketchup was one of the items that had gone down.  I bought a 40oz. bottle for $two-something.  That's a six months supply. 

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 01:08:57 PM »
$100 a week for 2 people? WTF are they buyin? There are only 2 of us(sometimes) and I don't spend near that.
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 01:21:15 PM »
I went shopping at Wal-Mart two weeks in a row (very rare for me).  I noticed some things had gone up in price and some had gone down in that week's time.  Heinz Ketchup was one of the items that had gone down.  I bought a 40oz. bottle for $two-something.  That's a six months supply. 

You fool -- you can get it for free at MacDonalds. ;)

Offline Lauri

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 01:33:06 PM »

The solution: steal them!  This is consistent with the liberal value of conversion...
RoadRage  Donating Member  (295 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jan-14-08 10:12 PM

Hit McDonalds for 1 hamburger ($.79) and then raid their ketchup packets. 100 packets should get you through the month.. unless you have 2 kids.. then you'd better grab a few more. Ohh.. and pick up some napkins too - that will save you a few more $$$.

McDonald's got hip to that trick... now its just a big pump with those little flat paper cups to put the condiments in.

the OP is hosed!

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 01:45:59 PM »
How hard is this to understand?  If your needs aren't being met, the first step is to cut out your "wants" until such a time as you get back on your feet.  That means, no donating to DU (and no internet, too!), no donating to political parties or candidates, cut out snack foods, avoid stores like the Gap and the like altogether.  Then, if you still can't meet your needs, ask for help.  Don't sit and bitch on the internet.
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 01:49:11 PM »

McDonald's got hip to that trick... now its just a big pump with those little flat paper cups to put the condiments in.

the OP is hosed!
Burger King and J/Box also apportion.

Well, Taco Bell still has hot sauce in the public area. Maybe you can get the mild sauce and use it as substitute.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 01:50:54 PM »
How hard is this to understand?  If your needs aren't being met, the first step is to cut out your "wants" until such a time as you get back on your feet.  That means, no donating to DU (and no internet, too!), no donating to political parties or candidates, cut out snack foods, avoid stores like the Gap and the like altogether.  Then, if you still can't meet your needs, ask for help.  Don't sit and bitch on the internet.

Silly righty!  You don't decrease your wants (which are, of course needs), you increase the public trough.  As long as there are overpriveledged then you aren't getting your part.

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 01:51:57 PM »

What does a bottle of catsup cost?  $1 or so?  What's the cheapest dialup Internet service?  $10 a month?  They could buy ten bottles of catsup if they could just prioritize.
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline VelvetElvis

• Misunderestimated
  • Drill Sgt for the DeathSquadHateForce
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 05:10:01 PM »
The DUmmies need to learn how to COOK, and not buy all the prepackaged, microwave stuff.  Besides the cost savings, they'd find out that there's a whole new range of flavors, textures, and colors to be savored and enjoyed.
Proud Member of the Death Squad Hate Force Since  1980

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 05:20:47 PM »

Yup, unless we eat out we keep our budget about there too for 5 people and that even includes 'fun stuff' in the kids' lunches pretty frequently too. I wonder what they are buying? All organic? That can get very expensive, but that's a choice, not a necessity.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 05:24:24 PM »
rug  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jan-14-08 04:03 PM
11. Any candidate who does not understand this post should not be elected.
ROTFLOLPOTF!!!

OK, now we know.  Somehow the candidates need to "fix" an economy with a < 5% unemployment rate and a < 2.5% inflation rate.

These people should move to France and get it over with.  Oh, wait.  France has 8.5+% unemployment -- and I suspect new non muslim immigrants will NOT be welcome.

These people are dumber than dirt.

Well, let's face it...some of them would be better then ok with a high unemployment rate so long as they are in it and their 'needs' and some 'wants' are taken care of.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 05:30:40 PM »

the OP is hosed!

The McDonald's in my area keep the ketchup packets behind the counter, and only give them to you when you ask.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 05:32:15 PM »
The DUmmies need to learn how to COOK, and not buy all the prepackaged, microwave stuff.  Besides the cost savings, they'd find out that there's a whole new range of flavors, textures, and colors to be savored and enjoyed.

Then they would have to move out of mommy's basement.