Author Topic: 1973 MG B  (Read 157693 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
1973 MG B
« on: May 16, 2012, 04:33:18 PM »
I had to nadin a picture because my shop manual still hasn't arrived yet, but they are definitely SU carbs.  Here are a set on a Datsun Z.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
Re: 1973 MG B
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 04:49:52 PM »
I had to nadin a picture because my shop manual still hasn't arrived yet, but they are definitely SU carbs.  Here are a set on a Datsun Z.

Chris, what you should have on your MG are HIF4 SUs, unless someone changed them for an older set of HS4 SUs.  If the float bowl is integrated (as in the 'IF' in HIF4) into the body of the SU, they are probably factory.

What you've pictured there appears to be a 240Z or 260Z with a pair of bastard-heathen Hitachi flat top SUs, which are the spawn of satan, and not fit to be boat anchors. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 04:52:44 PM »
:rofl:  I'll post some pictures of the engine when I get home later.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 04:56:56 PM »
I'm starting to think we're automotive brothers from another mother.  How many similar cars have we owned now??  There was the Volvo, the two Zcars you've had, and now the MGB.  It's not like were both buying white Ford Tauruses here, either.   :tinfoil2:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 07:18:16 PM »
I looked at some 912's... I even considered flying out west to pick one up, but they were out of my budget.  I'm really happy with the MG other than it is not really a daily driver, at least not unless you lift weights for a living or live really close to work.  A 45-minute commute in this car is not going to be fun in the long term, but that's not why I bought it.  I drove this thing to a dozen different stops and back home yesterday and was wore out.  By the time I got home, my armpits hurt.

Here are a few quick pictures I took -- click on them for a bigger size. 

My Hagerty's policy covers 5000 miles a year and only cost me $130.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 07:26:30 PM »
I forgot about the Volvo.  Man, I hated that car. :rofl:

This MG could use a new suspension.  I noticed the front corner on the driver's side was pitched down when I got it up over 50mph.  I'm no Slim Jim, but I ain't that damn fat.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 07:43:31 PM »
Check to see if your oil in your lever shocks is where it needs to be at.  You might have one that has developed a slow leak.  I'm sure you know that the lever shocks are nothing at all like a modern car's suspension. 

I've never been that worn out from driving my B. :tongue:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 07:59:39 PM »
I'll have to wait until my shop manual shows up unless University Motors has something on it.  I have no idea what lever shocks are.  Are they like torsion bars?

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 08:11:13 PM »
Chris,

Nope, nothing like it.

Look up under there for a little guy that looks something like this: http://www.nosimport.com/shoxcatalog.htm

I've topped mine up before with motorcycle fork oil.  If you lived closer, this would be easier.   :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 08:13:12 PM »
Ah, I see.

What am I supposed to use?  I have 90W hypoid oil sitting around from the '83 ZX.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 08:16:54 PM »
Don't put hypoid in, that is WAY too thick. 

Try these suggestions: http://www.mgexperience.net/archive/Lever_shock_oil/1753223

My brother ran some hydraulic jack oil in his, and it worked out fine for him. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 08:18:40 PM »
This thing is a ladies magnet.  The most attention I got from the Datsun were little kids who thought it was a spaceship and old guys. :rotf:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 08:26:10 PM »
Thanks to University Motors, I was able to fold down the top without damaging it.  There is a small tear in the vinyl that I made worse by not folding it correctly the first time.  Second time was a piece of cake. 

I'm pretty sure the tear came from not unhooking the snap above the driver/passenger seats.  Personally, I like the look of the matte black fabric top.  The vinyl one looks shiny and cheap (I have the receipt.  It was $500 for a new one).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:36:38 PM by chris_ »

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 09:04:01 PM »
Thanks to University Motors, I was able to fold down the top without damaging it.  There is a small tear in the vinyl that I made worse by not folding it correctly the first time.  Second time was a piece of cake. 

I'm pretty sure the tear came from not unhooking the snap above the driver/passenger seats.  Personally, I like the look of the matte black fabric top.  The vinyl one looks shiny and cheap (I have the receipt.  It was $500 for a new one).

I could go either way with the top.  I think the matte tops don't really mesh as well with the period lines of the car, though. 

It is a ladies magnet, though.  I did warn you about that.  :naughty:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 09:05:46 PM »
I got nothing but smiles from a carload of wimmin this week.  It was great.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 09:15:38 PM »
It ran pretty well when I took a trip to the store earlier today.  I think I'll drive it to work tomorrow.  I don't have any boxes to move, so it will just be me.

I had to move a 24-inch computer monitor to the secondary office down the street and it barely fit in the trunk with the spare wheel/tire.  I had my briefcase with my laptop in the front seat.  This thing has almost no room for luggage. :rofl:

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 09:18:44 PM »
I got nothing but smiles from a carload of wimmin this week.  It was great.

Wimmin love little bitty British Sportscars. Smart wimmin do.   People who drive them know stuff about cars, you have to, or you have a full time mechanic.  Either way, it is all good.   :-)
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 09:17:57 AM »
Try these suggestions: http://www.mgexperience.net/archive/Lever_shock_oil/1753223

My brother ran some hydraulic jack oil in his, and it worked out fine for him.
Cool, that gives me an excuse to stop at the motorcycle dealer across the street and ogle some two-wheeled stuff on my way to the parts counter.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 09:50:30 AM »
I looked at some 912's... I even considered flying out west to pick one up, but they were out of my budget.  I'm really happy with the MG other than it is not really a daily driver, at least not unless you lift weights for a living or live really close to work.  A 45-minute commute in this car is not going to be fun in the long term, but that's not why I bought it.  I drove this thing to a dozen different stops and back home yesterday and was wore out.  By the time I got home, my armpits hurt.

Here are a few quick pictures I took -- click on them for a bigger size. 

My Hagerty's policy covers 5000 miles a year and only cost me $130.

I had a Fiat 1200 Roadster as my first car. It drove like your MG. Still miss it.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 11:42:33 AM »

I had a Fiat 1200 Roadster as my first car. It drove like your MG. Still miss it.

Me too.  Mine was a '59 with a dual Webber down draft.  I spent as much time reparing as driving that bad boy.  The old man use to say it was built from left over WWII 55 gallon drums.  And of course we all know the acromym Fix it again Tony!!

Now about the magnet effect may I just add when you go topless in a Benz Roadster this is what happens at stoplights.

Drive it like you stole it  Boy do I miss that car.  The G6 is just not the same. :bawl:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 11:44:43 AM »
You replaced that with a Pontiac? :thatsright:

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 11:46:48 AM »
It didn't look too shabby with the top up either.

nor with the soft top

and for a peek under ther hood

Did I mention I really miss that car??

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 11:50:46 AM »
You replaced that with a Pontiac? :thatsright:

I can flat tow the G6.  But yes, yes I did. :bawl:  You would not believe what it went for, a 97 SL 320 with less than 90k on the clock and no mechanical problems at all ( it was dealership maintained which is surprisingly cheap compared to Jap car service)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 07:07:53 PM »
I had to go to Pep Boys to find hydraulic jack oil.  Going to try topping off my shocks this weekend because that drive out to the airport is a little scary when the front end starts to droop and sag above 50mph.  I really wish I had that shop manual because I have no idea what I need to do.

I stopped by the motorcycle shop and asked for fork oil but didn't know what weight to get.  Wal Mart sucked.  Good thing there was an old man working there who knew what I was shopping for (they were out).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:12:51 PM by chris_ »

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 07:21:02 PM »
Want me to snap some shots on my car of where to put it?