Author Topic: President Trump threatens to veto massive COVID bill  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
President Trump threatens to veto massive COVID bill
« on: December 22, 2020, 07:20:28 PM »
President Trump slammed the recently passed $900 billion COVID-19 relief package as a "disgrace" on Tuesday evening, urging Congress amend the bill to increase the direct payments given to Americans.

"I am asking Congress to amend this bill and increase the ridiculously low $600 to $2,000, or $4,000 for a couple," Trump said in a video posted to Twitter.

In addition, Trump is demanding that lawmakers "get rid of the wasteful and unnecessary items" from the legislation, "or else the next administration will have to deliver a COVID relief package"

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-threatens-to-veto-massive-covid-bill
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Re: President Trump threatens to veto massive COVID bill
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 07:37:02 PM »
Screw that. Neither is a good option. We cannot afford it!  Open the country and cancel taxes until further notice. Suspend Congress pay, and make it non retroactive until they open the country.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 08:41:02 PM »
Screw that. Neither is a good option. We cannot afford it!  Open the country and cancel taxes until further notice. Suspend Congress pay, and make it non retroactive until they open the country.

KC

Agreed on all counts.

Don't like this bill, just open things up so that people can earn money rather than be feeding on the teet of big government.  Even with the draconian lockdowns, California's Wuhan cases are rising.  And in other states it is quite similar.

$600 doesn't even pay most people's rent or really help that much.  And it if they were truly serious about helping people by giving them checks, why cap it at $600?  Go big or go home.  Make it $10,000.  (Although I think that is seriously stupid)

If the President really desires to follow through on this veto, at least it would force these linguine backboned congressional clowns to show up to over-ride it.  The political posturing is great actually.  Forces their hands to fly back to D.C.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 09:46:53 PM »
It's a toughie, but since the $600 isn't here pre-Christmas, I'm okay with The President pulling-the-plug on the bill. 

The $600 is fluffy, but it's way too low to launch a 'blame Trump' narrative and make it stick with Americans at this late date.  Trump's record speaks for itself.  He wanted (wants) us to have more.     

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 11:50:07 PM »
President Trump is correct when he says this covid relief bill is a disgrace.   It gives a shit-ton of money to foreign nations and special interest groups and crumbs to the American people who need the money to survive.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 07:42:45 AM »

KC

Absolutely on target. h5 The nanny state maintains its death grip on the nation and the sheeple just suck it up, lamenting life while it's squeezed out of them.

The ****tard governors and mayors that embrace these bullshit lockdowns and the dumbass mask mandates, and the idiocy that cripples the country, all need to be bitchslapped by their entire constituency. Line everybody up, remove the ****ing masks, and slap the shit out of these idiots one by one.

The Newsoms and the Whitmers and the Cuomos will never "get it" but at least those ringing slaps will sound good, especially on Pay Per View.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2020, 07:45:34 AM »
I sent this letter to my congresscritter, French Hill, and my two senators Boozman and Cotton, in response to their votes on this unbelievably bad legislation. The text was adjusted accordingly.

Actually, I can't confirm that Hill voted for it since the bill has bounced back and forth a number of times between the House and Senate, but as the letter states, I have to assume he voted for it.

Boozman and Cotton have NO excuse. They voted for this pile of stinking offal and they need to pay the political price for it.

I laughed out loud when I read that the recent travesty of legislation that has been called by some pundits as the Covid "Porkulus" bill was released online at 2 PM this past Monday. Some of your colleagues in the House and Senate were expected to vote on this "legislation" later the same evening. A bill that comprises almost 5,600 pages of garbage has to be very difficult to read and understand by everyone save possibly Evelyn Wood of speed reading fame. Even she would have trouble, seems to me.
How is it Congress operates that way and why? This is a mockery of the legislative process, isn't it? This bill was initially introduced by Henry Cuellar and it had little to do with either the pandemic or running of the government, until someone decided to bundle all this garbage together in order to ram it down the taxpayer's throat.
So far, I have not been able to determine which congressmen specifically voted for this pile of garbage, but since the vote in the House was 359-53 in favor of it (the Covid Porkulus bill along with five others that were altogether bundled with the yet-another-travesty Omnibus Pork package totaling some $1.2 trillion), I have to assume you voted for it. Six senators voted against it, to which I can conclude that at least there are some senators who understand the term "fiscal responsibility." Hopefully, you are one of the 53 congressmen who also voted against it, but I somehow doubt it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I found this level of detail interesting:
“This bill contains $85.5 million for assistance to Cambodia. $134 million to Burma. $1.3 billion for Egypt and the Egyptian military, which will go out and buy almost exclusively Russian military equipment,” the president said.
“$25 million for democracy and gender programs in Pakistan. $505 million to Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Panama.”
'Shifting to the domestic side of the spending, Trump called out “$40 million for the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C., which is not even open for business. $1 billion for the Smithsonian,” which was first reported here at PJ Media, “and an additional $154 million for the National Gallery of Art,” which he noted are also not open.
“The bill also allows stimulus checks for the family members of illegal aliens,” the president said, “allowing them to get up to $1,800 each. This is far more than the Americans are given.”
...as reported by PJMedia quoting President Trump.
It's little wonder that Congress is the laughingstock of the world. With ridiculous and insane levels of spending like this for special interests and other countries, it's comical how Congress can even begin to justify its actions.
Just call me a disgruntled constituent who finds this bill reprehensible on its face. I will find out who in the House voted on this pile of garbage and will adjust my voting accordingly.

Yes, I know that the political elite class pays lip service to hearing from constituents and then acting on it, but I'm hopeful anyway. It's possible that tens of thousands of Arkansans have flooded their email systems and then broke it.

Nah, I don't think so either.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2020, 12:17:26 PM »
I sent this letter to my congresscritter, French Hill, and my two senators Boozman and Cotton, in response to their votes on this unbelievably bad legislation. The text was adjusted accordingly.

Actually, I can't confirm that Hill voted for it since the bill has bounced back and forth a number of times between the House and Senate, but as the letter states, I have to assume he voted for it.

Boozman and Cotton have NO excuse. They voted for this pile of stinking offal and they need to pay the political price for it.

Yes, I know that the political elite class pays lip service to hearing from constituents and then acting on it, but I'm hopeful anyway. It's possible that tens of thousands of Arkansans have flooded their email systems and then broke it.

Nah, I don't think so either.

I doubt mine or your Reps and Senators voted for this travesty give a damn about any of their constituents and your letter will fall on deaf ears. Then again, that's the way it's always been so this bill is more of the same.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2020, 05:36:21 AM »
Need to bring back the line item veto.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2020, 07:39:30 PM »
I doubt mine or your Reps and Senators voted for this travesty give a damn about any of their constituents and your letter will fall on deaf ears. Then again, that's the way it's always been so this bill is more of the same.

The absolute worst part of this stinking pile of 5,600 pages smeared with shit is none of these ****tards actually read the damned thing. Impossible to do so, given they released it at 2 PM and expected a vote (and got it) that evening.

Of course you're correct about the elites, and that includes the GOP, who don't give a damn about anyone but themselves and their next campaign. But that doesn't stop me from calling them on their bullshit.

Governor Asa Hutchinson got an earful too about the bullshit mask mandate -- though Arkansas is not one of the more egregious examples of how tyranny is alive and well in these United States. I reminded him that Florida hasn't fallen victim to the handwringers and the sky is falling crowd, and they're doing just fine.