Author Topic: Meat Eaters.  (Read 30632 times)

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
Re: Meat Eaters.
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2016, 09:58:30 AM »
It works really good for that.
On the box are various recipes.  AND, inside the box, printed on the cardboard, are more recipes.  Hey, it ain't the end all to our bread cravings, but it does help.  With all that said, I reduce my heat just a tad, (a very small amount) and cook a bit longer.  Just seems to work a little better. 
If I can help in any way, don't hesitate to PM me or post and I'll try to respond.
Good Luck.

Thanks!

I smoked meat all weekend. Did a brisket, two pounds of bacon, and a dozen burgers.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
  • I love someone with Autism
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2016, 10:33:55 AM »
Thanks!

I smoked meat all weekend. Did a brisket, two pounds of bacon, and a dozen burgers.
I dearly love brisket.  Well, I dearly love all food, I guess.
Did you do the whole brisket, or the flat, or the point?   When I can, I like to do the whole brisket.  That gives me the flat for sliced/chopped, and the point for burnt ends.
I inject mine with a solution of beef stock, salt, pepper, and then Rub it with a savory and spicy rub.   I put it in the smoker on 275 for about 4 hours.  I use Hickory and Pecan, when I can find pecan.  Once the exterior is like I want it, I wrap it in foil with a little of the marinade and some butter,  and put it back on until it reaches 205 internal temp.  Then, I let it rest for 20-25 minutes.  I separate the point from the flat, and slice into 1 inch cubes(burnt ends), making sure there is some "bark" on each cube.  I dip 'em in my BBQ sauce(low carb) and put them in a foil pan and put them on the grill to set the sauce.  I dip the slices in sauce, and the chopped I toss in the sauce.  Serve and watch the smiles.
Is that close to what you do?
Tiny.
The slices should fold without breaking, but should pull apart with a very little effort.  A small tug is normal.
War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over. -- Gen William T. Sherman

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2016, 10:54:23 AM »
I dearly love brisket.  Well, I dearly love all food, I guess.
Did you do the whole brisket, or the flat, or the point?   When I can, I like to do the whole brisket.  That gives me the flat for sliced/chopped, and the point for burnt ends.
I inject mine with a solution of beef stock, salt, pepper, and then Rub it with a savory and spicy rub.   I put it in the smoker on 275 for about 4 hours.  I use Hickory and Pecan, when I can find pecan. Once the exterior is like I want it, I wrap it in foil with a little of the marinade and some butter,  and put it back on until it reaches 205 internal temp.  Then, I let it rest for 20-25 minutes.  I separate the point from the flat, and slice into 1 inch cubes(burnt ends), making sure there is some "bark" on each cube.  I dip 'em in my BBQ sauce(low carb) and put them in a foil pan and put them on the grill to set the sauce.  I dip the slices in sauce, and the chopped I toss in the sauce.  Serve and watch the smiles.
Is that close to what you do?
Tiny.
The slices should fold without breaking, but should pull apart with a very little effort.  A small tug is normal.

Nice!

I smoked the entire brisket. Marinaded in cheap beer overnight, then patted dry and the rub pounded in. Smoked over Green Mountain Grill Fruitwood Blend pellets. 6 hours at 225, then 400 until the internal temp reached 200.

My rub is simple: coarse ground sea salt, coarse ground black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and a little turbinado sugar to caramelize. This time I added chipotle chili powder and cumin.

Smoking my own has spoiled me for barbecue. The last time I was in Kansas City, I ate at Arthur Bryant's (tied with Oklahoma Joe's for my favorite 'cue). It' wasn't as good as I remember.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2016, 01:33:36 PM »
Nice!

I smoked the entire brisket. Marinaded in cheap beer overnight, then patted dry and the rub pounded in. Smoked over Green Mountain Grill Fruitwood Blend pellets. 6 hours at 225, then 400 until the internal temp reached 200.

My rub is simple: coarse ground sea salt, coarse ground black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and a little turbinado sugar to caramelize. This time I added chipotle chili powder and cumin.

Smoking my own has spoiled me for barbecue. The last time I was in Kansas City, I ate at Arthur Bryant's (tied with Oklahoma Joe's for my favorite 'cue). It' wasn't as good as I remember.
So, all you have to do, is replace the T sugar with Truvia, and you are low carb.  Oh, and wait until you age a brisket for 28 days and smoke that puppy.  Your tongue will beat your brains out, just trying to lick your lips.
Oh yeah, I have this trouble all the time.
My mother will not buy a rib eye steak at the Grocery Store.  Spoiled.
I am with you on BBQ.  Why buy, when I can cook it better?
My neighbors check with me to see if I am grilling/smoking anything before they go shopping.  Then, if I say, "No", they ask if they buy some meat, will I cook it.
Anywayz, I aged a top sirloin sub primal 38 days.  Awesome.  Every bit as tender as a New York Strip, with the concentrated flavor of Sirloin.  4 bucks a pound, and you'd be glad to eat it. 
Thanx for your input.  I do appreciate it.
War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over. -- Gen William T. Sherman

Offline Karin

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2016, 02:22:46 PM »
I've enjoyed you guys' thread!  My husband tried low carb but somehow didn't get the success that other people have had.  Oh well.  I subscribe to the theory of eat what you want (just not mountains of it), and burn it off.  You enjoy life so much more that way. 

I wish I had a smoker of my own!   :rant:

Best wishes with the upcoming wedding, Big Dog. 

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2016, 03:04:43 PM »
I've enjoyed you guys' thread!  My husband tried low carb but somehow didn't get the success that other people have had.  Oh well.  I subscribe to the theory of eat what you want (just not mountains of it), and burn it off.  You enjoy life so much more that way. 

Thanks! I have the easiest job of all: liquor and cigars for the reception.

If you get a smoker, the Green Mountaun Grills are worth every penny.

As for your husband's low-carb success: If you drag him to the bedroom every time you notice that he lost weight, he will be inspired. It works with women, too. Don't ask me how I know this.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2016, 02:31:44 PM »

Well, Karin, you really don't need a smoker.  Do you have a grill?  Doesn't matter if it is charcoal or gas.

If Charcoal, start your charcoal, and once it is all ready, move it all to one side.  Place meat on the "indirect" heat side.  Buy wood chips at Lowes, and soak them as per directions.  Sprinkle a few over hot coals.  Add new chips when smoke subsides a bit.  Kinda tedious, but works well. 
Or, for gas or charcoal, you can buy a "smoker box" that you fill with wood, and place over burners on the gas grill, or over direct heat on the charcoal grill.
Or, if you are cheap, like me, get some heavy duty tin foil, and double wrap the wood chips and cut slits in the top, and treat it like a smoker box.

Sure, I wouldn't try a brisket for 12-16 hours, but some ribs for a few hours, would be good.  Most of the time, you only smoke about half the time, and wrap with foil, and cook until done.  So, smoking a Boston Butt for 4 hours wouldn't be too bad.  Try it, and I am sure you will be amazed what you can do.

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2016, 02:41:46 PM »
Thanks! I have the easiest job of all: liquor and cigars for the reception.

If you get a smoker, the Green Mountaun Grills are worth every penny.

As for your husband's low-carb success: If you drag him to the bedroom every time you notice that he lost weight, he will be inspired. It works with women, too. Don't ask me how I know this.
Oh, you are bad, Big Dog. 
Most people do not realize that weight loss is only one benefit of a low carb diet.  It serves to regulate blood pressure, and keep sugar down.  My cholesterol dropped 60 points, in one year.    My wife, who is not overweight, noticed that eating with me on the Atkins diet has disposed of her anemia.  All her life she has suffered with anemia, and since she eats mostly what I eat, save for a few extra veggies or fruits, her nails are stronger, hair is softer and as I said, her blood numbers are much better.
I just joined the Kansas City Barbecue Society.  Have a team we call the "Low Carb Carnivores".  We are working right now on some low carb possibilities we can use to compete.  As one of the perks of membership, we get free passes to shop at Restaurant Depot.  Now, I'll be smokin' Prime Beef.  Can't wait.
I just put a 16 lb Top Sirloin Butt and a 15 1/2 lb Strip Loin in the fridge.  28 days, and I'll let you know.

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2016, 02:50:49 PM »
Oh, you are bad, Big Dog. 
Most people do not realize that weight loss is only one benefit of a low carb diet.  It serves to regulate blood pressure, and keep sugar down.  My cholesterol dropped 60 points, in one year.    My wife, who is not overweight, noticed that eating with me on the Atkins diet has disposed of her anemia.  All her life she has suffered with anemia, and since she eats mostly what I eat, save for a few extra veggies or fruits, her nails are stronger, hair is softer and as I said, her blood numbers are much better.
I just joined the Kansas City Barbecue Society.  Have a team we call the "Low Carb Carnivores".  We are working right now on some low carb possibilities we can use to compete.  As one of the perks of membership, we get free passes to shop at Restaurant Depot.  Now, I'll be smokin' Prime Beef.  Can't wait.
I just put a 16 lb Top Sirloin Butt and a 15 1/2 lb Strip Loin in the fridge.  28 days, and I'll let you know.

I also benefit from low-carb eating. My blood sugar stays below 100 and my cholesterol dropped, too.

I'll be in KC this weekend for my son's wedding. Planning to go to the Weston Tobacco Co for a cigar on Friday afternoon, and the north Outlaw Cigar Co mid-day on Saturday. Care to meet up?
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2016, 03:10:47 PM »
I also benefit from low-carb eating. My blood sugar stays below 100 and my cholesterol dropped, too.

I'll be in KC this weekend for my son's wedding. Planning to go to the Weston Tobacco Co for a cigar on Friday afternoon, and the north Outlaw Cigar Co mid-day on Saturday. Care to meet up?
I'd love to, but rural North Carolina is a long way from there.  I have to work, but thanks for asking.  I do plan to go sometime this summer, though.  I'll keep you posted.  I think we'd have fun.  I know I'd enjoy a good Padron.    And, I'd bet there is some great Que, there.(What a ridiculous statement, huh?)
Hang in there, and enjoy that cigar.

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2016, 03:25:46 PM »
I'd love to, but rural North Carolina is a long way from there.  I have to work, but thanks for asking.  I do plan to go sometime this summer, though.  I'll keep you posted.  I think we'd have fun.  I know I'd enjoy a good Padron.    And, I'd bet there is some great Que, there.(What a ridiculous statement, huh?)
Hang in there, and enjoy that cigar.

Let me know when you're in the area. The cigar will be on me.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2016, 02:45:54 PM »
Let me know when you're in the area. The cigar will be on me.
You got a deal.