Author Topic: Busybody school district bureaucrats are coming after school bake sales now  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
bluestateguy

Busybody school district bureaucrats are coming after school bake sales now

If they had done this when I was in school, I would have participated in an underground cartel selling baked goods, candy and soda.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/04/school-bake-sales-become-_n_1478571.html

Is the tradition of school bake sales nearing an end?

At a time when school communities are forced to increase fundraising efforts amid tighter budgets, one hugely popular method of raising money for the basketball team or math club is at a crossroads -- with the national fight against childhood obesity.

In Maryland's Montgomery County, bake sales are not permitted during the day and school officials keep an ear to the ground to make sure that there's no underground sales of sweets, Bloomberg Businessweek reports.

more

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002646240

Remind me again just which side is it that wants the government to oversee and control everything?
I'm pretty sure it isn't my side, so you are complaining about what your side is doing.

Liberal_in_LA
1. heard this on the radio this morning. I didn't realize that bake sales were mostly to kids, rather

than adults.

Damn conservatives who want to ban kids from having sugar.  :-)

hlthe2b
2. I don't defend this, but I"m sort of surprised it has taken this long...

Last edited Fri May 4, 2012, 08:45 PM USA/ET - Edit history (1)

Not because of healthy eating initiatives, but because of the lawyers who may fear a food-borne illness or vehicle for inflicting intentional harm.

At the same time more and more local health departments are no longer turning a blind eye on these unlicensed/unregulated food sales.

Again, I don't agree with the trend (and could readily counter the concerns with real facts that document the extremely minimal risk), but I can't say I'm surprised.

Liberalism has lead us to this.

bluestateguy
3. School administrators are some of the most lawsuit-phobic people you will ever meet

And by and large they are people of limited intellect, mediocre talent and overpaid salaries.

Damn bashing union educators at DU.  :lmao:
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
bluestateguy
3. School administrators are some of the most lawsuit-phobic people you will ever meet

And by and large they are people of limited intellect, mediocre talent and overpaid salaries.

Did I read this right?   :lol:

BSG just DISSED teachers?!?!?!   :lmao:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline Vagabond

Obama and his minions certainly are responsible for this.  Their healthy schools initiaitives forbade bake sales, for the children of course.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
Why am I not surprised that this is taking place in my old home state and county. While I love my home state I hate what it has become.
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Obama and his minions certainly are responsible for this.  Their healthy schools initiaitives forbade bake sales, for the children of course.

Some schools are trying to keep the kids from brown bagging lunch to school.  Every kid with home made lunch is taking away the money it would cost to buy lunch in school.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all

BSG just DISSED teachers?!?!?!
No, administrators.

Administrators are management.

Management is always evil, greedy, and stupid, because they always have more stuff than DUmp democrats.

Offline ChuckJ

BSG just DISSED teachers?!?!?!   :lmao:

When I read "And by and large they are people of limited intellect, mediocre talent" I thought he/she/it was talking about members of DU.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
When I read "And by and large they are people of limited intellect, mediocre talent" I thought he/she/it was talking about members of DU.

So did I.  Great minds and all that . . . :cheersmate:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Spring is here, that means the Churches will have their ham and bean suppers once a week for the public.

Can the health department come in here as this is a Public dinner an only the Lord knows how the food was prepared in the home kitchens of the people ????

When there is any charge for food, be it commercial, Charity , or public school, how do the powers that be handle the law if people become ill ?

What ever happend to " eat at your own risk" for homemade unregulated commercial pot luck diners ???

Bake sales were a staple in my life as were Church dinners and fund raisers.   My grandmother sold one heck of allot of home made preserves at church sales and worked her butt off to make it.  Hot summers, kitchens full of hot steam to sterilize the jars and lids, no air conditioning,  labor of love.

I have had a few times of food poisoning in my time from restaurant food BUT never from a bake sale or Church dinner. 

So OK it would not hurt to place a label telling of any peanut product was used, or MSG in the ingredients, or sea food as allergy's have skyrocketed in the last decade.   

If you have an allergy to shell fish, what the Hell are you doing at a clam bake   ????

Offline Karin

NY State has been champing at the bit to go after these homestyle cooking activities.  They keep getting pushed back on, it seems.  Our local Legion has a clam chowder cookoff yearly, wherein actual people make actual food in actual kitchens, using seafood.  Probably they didn't have a $50K+ stainless steel commercial kitchen with 40 separate sinks.  Did they use surgical gloves?  Did they position the handsoap *just so* by the sink? (I'm serious about that).   Were the onions and celery already pre-chopped at the factory? 

Offline Doubleplusungood

If the bake sales didn't exist the left would just find something else to regulate and **** up for everyone else. They will never run out of things to bitch about and ruin for the rest of us.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
NY State has been champing at the bit to go after these homestyle cooking activities.  They keep getting pushed back on, it seems.  Our local Legion has a clam chowder cookoff yearly, wherein actual people make actual food in actual kitchens, using seafood.  Probably they didn't have a $50K+ stainless steel commercial kitchen with 40 separate sinks.  Did they use surgical gloves?  Did they position the handsoap *just so* by the sink? (I'm serious about that).   Were the onions and celery already pre-chopped at the factory? 

Would you care to guess who was whispering the ear of state busybodies when they started cracking down on home cooked food for sale?

You guessed it: unions. Why eat something prepared in someone's kitchen, when a union monkey can make it for twice the price?
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline movie buff

Blame Moo- chelle Obama and the other health- food Nazis like her. She demands that people not be allowed to eat anything other than tofu, dried fruit, and raw vegetables in the name of 'Fighting child obesity,' even as she then goes and stuffs her own ugly, porcine face with ribs, french fries, and whatever other junk foods she can get within her reach every chance she can get.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Has anyone ever been sick from the all-you-can-eat catfish dinners served at about a million VFW and American Legion halls every Friday night?

No.

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
Blame Moo- chelle Obama and the other health- food Nazis like her. She demands that people not be allowed to eat anything other than tofu, dried fruit, and raw vegetables in the name of 'Fighting child obesity,' even as she then goes and stuffs her own ugly, porcine face with ribs, french fries, and whatever other junk foods she can get within her reach every chance she can get.
Don't forget the chicken wings. Moochelle loves her some wings!!
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline Karin

Has anyone ever been sick from the all-you-can-eat catfish dinners served at about a million VFW and American Legion halls every Friday night?

No.

How come we're not all dead right now from our own mothers making us breakfast, lunch, and dinner all those years?  For as long as man has been around? 

Offline Kimberly

DCKit (16,147 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

5. +1 The TeaPublicans are going to have to develop an awards system....

for all the self-supporting schools.

Can't wait to see the greenhouses.

I don't understand what this nitwit is yammering about. Montgomery county is a rich, blue county in a permanently blue state. These ideas were thought up and impletmented by your fellow dems. This is your life ruled by democrats.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
     Would you care to guess who was whispering the ear of state busybodies when they started cracking down on home cooked food for sale?

You guessed it: unions. Why eat something prepared in someone's kitchen, when a union monkey can make it for twice five times the price?

FIXED
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.