Author Topic: Crack Shack or Mansion  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Crack Shack or Mansion
« on: April 20, 2010, 10:56:57 PM »
We aim to discover what 1 million dollars will buy you in Vancouver, Canada, and whether your mansion will be distinguishable from a crach shack.

http://www.crackshackormansion.com/
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Re: Crack Shack or Mansion
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 11:06:25 PM »
"Congratulations, you are a Realtor!"

duh.... :-)

Besides I watch the realty shows on HGTV and a lot of them are filmed in Canada.....their prices are ridiculous up there!!!! :o
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 11:07:36 PM »
Not sure why.  Their exchange rate isn't much different from ours... it's about .94 or .98 to the US dollar.

Maybe nobody wants to live in Quebec.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 11:19:52 PM »
Not sure why.  Their exchange rate isn't much different from ours... it's about .94 or .98 to the US dollar.

Maybe nobody wants to live in Quebec.

They have a weird way of doing business up there. Offers are accepted for x-number of days, then the seller looks at them and decides which one to work with. From the shows that I've watched, it seems to often result in a bidding war, often with the sales price being considerably higher than the asking price.

The shows convert the cost to US dollars, but $400-500,000 for first time buyers is just incredible.

One of Runnin' Buddy's neighbors - both husband and wife - work for HGTV. I asked the husband how come they only show high priced houses on those shows and he said that those are the one's that appeal to viewers. People aren't interested in just average priced houses in Podunk, USA. They want to see Atlanta, Chicago, Seattle, Boston, Montreal, Vancouver, etc.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 11:22:01 PM »
I hate seeing the high-priced houses.  Why would I look at a house that costs four times what I can afford? :(

It doesn't help that a 2000-square foot townhouse in Baltimore costs half a million dollars.  Really.  I have better things to do with my money.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 06:52:12 AM »
I hate seeing the high-priced houses.  Why would I look at a house that costs four times what I can afford? :(

It doesn't help that a 2000-square foot townhouse in Baltimore costs half a million dollars.  Really.  I have better things to do with my money.

Crackmore?  Great.  Then again, my liberal HS friend who lives in DC was talking about her neighbor selling his townhome in DC.  1300 sq. ft., 100 year old building (albeit renovated), 2 BR, 1 BA, $525K, plus HOA fees of something like $500/mo.

Screw that.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 12:49:36 PM »
Crackmore?  Great.  Then again, my liberal HS friend who lives in DC was talking about her neighbor selling his townhome in DC.  1300 sq. ft., 100 year old building (albeit renovated), 2 BR, 1 BA, $525K, plus HOA fees of something like $500/mo.

Screw that.

My youngest son and his bride live in one of those, only it cost $650k......

I agree.....not worth it........

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 12:57:06 PM »
My youngest son and his bride live in one of those, only it cost $650k......

I agree.....not worth it........

doc

I considered moving up to NOVA, or even Richmond to be closer to my Dad, over 10 years ago, as he was terminally ill.  Oh hell no.  I couldn't even afford the rent! 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 01:01:29 PM »
We aim to discover what 1 million dollars will buy you in Vancouver, Canada, and whether your mansion will be distinguishable from a crach shack.

http://www.crackshackormansion.com/

Guess I'll be buying a condo. Those are only around half a million.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 07:19:38 PM »
Nope--do what I do...live in the sticks.  Plenty of land, and far enough away from the main roads so that when the shit hits the fan, few if any people will be coming my way looking for zombie handouts.

Portsmouth, OTOH...poor dumb bastards.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 07:34:56 PM »

The shows convert the cost to US dollars, but $400-500,000 for first time buyers is just incredible.

The Canadian dollar is worth more now, isn't it?

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 07:57:55 PM »
Not really.  The current exchange rate is about equal, give or take a few pennies.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 08:12:59 PM »
Not really.  The current exchange rate is about equal, give or take a few pennies.
I'm waiting for the Zimbabwe dollar to catch up to the US dollar.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 08:40:29 PM »
Keep waiting.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 05:06:42 PM »
Nope--do what I do...live in the sticks. 

There arent' enough [well paying] jobs in the sticks....

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 11:06:51 PM »
There arent' enough [well paying] jobs in the sticks....

You'd be surprised.  Well, not ALL of us have to commute to Boston, anyway.

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 09:22:11 AM »
I could not afford to live in those expensive places
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.