Author Topic: providing references  (Read 6860 times)

Offline I_B_Perky

providing references
« on: June 12, 2011, 08:50:07 PM »
I happened to notice that at the top of the screen it says that registration is turned off for the time being and references will be required.

Well ole Perky doesn't care one way or another since he is already a member... but I was wondering what constitutes a good reference? Ya all might have already answered that question in another thread and maybe I missed it. Only reason why I started this thread is that maybe someone wants to join CC and may be unclear as to what is required.

If I did something taboo by posting this, feel free to delete with my apologies. I was just curious as to what is a good reference.

Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: providing references
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 08:51:38 PM »
Well, maybe a good word from franksolich is a character reference.

Actually, a good word from other members already here is a good character reference.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 09:13:24 PM »
Well, maybe a good word from franksolich is a character reference.

Actually, a good word from other members already here is a good character reference.

OK thanks Frank! I was just curious is all.

I'd like to make an observation though... Perky would not have been here if I had to have a reference. I knew none of ya all even though I followed the threads fairly regularly as a lurker. Finally one day, ole Perky decided to come out of his shell and post a little bit. Just an observation though. I'm not commenting on the policy. Like I said... it matters to me not since I am already a member. I'm sure there is a very good reason for it.

Time for bed, 0 dark thirty comes more early the older I get. <insert yawning smiley here>

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 09:49:50 PM »
OK thanks Frank! I was just curious is all.

I'd like to make an observation though... Perky would not have been here if I had to have a reference. I knew none of ya all even though I followed the threads fairly regularly as a lurker. Finally one day, ole Perky decided to come out of his shell and post a little bit. Just an observation though. I'm not commenting on the policy. Like I said... it matters to me not since I am already a member. I'm sure there is a very good reason for it.

Time for bed, 0 dark thirty comes more early the older I get. <insert yawning smiley here>

Don't worry overmuch about it, sir.

We're always changing rules to fit situations here--this isn't Skins's island--and I'm sure this one will be refined as time goes on, and we deal with unanticipated consequences of it. 

That's the beauty of conservatism versus liberalism; we adapt, they whine.

Anyone who wants to join can use the administration e-mail link at the bottom of the forum page, and if one has no references, I'm sure other evidence of one's bona fideness will convince the administration (such as having been a member of our old home, or is a current member of freerepublic, and so on).
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 06:52:21 AM »
Mainly, We're looking for references from current members in good standing. (which is 99% of you folks)  What Frank said also applies. This will cut down on the kiddie trolls for the time being. It will MIGHT go away after summer.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline CG6468

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 07:04:35 AM »
I think it'll just get worse as the election approaches. But things are well in hand, now. Thanks; it was really getting bad hereabouts.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 08:23:42 PM »
Mainly, We're looking for references from current members in good standing. (which is 99% of you folks)  What Frank said also applies. This will cut down on the kiddie trolls for the time being. It will MIGHT go away after summer.

OK thanks folks! I'm sure running a board like this is hard. I just wanted to bring up the topic in case some shy conservative like myself wondered what he/she had to do to join and was kinda worried that maybe I had done something taboo.

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 10:02:15 PM »
.....was kinda worried that maybe I had done something taboo.

No way, sir; you've been nothing but an asset here.

Anyway, yes, it HAS been a problem, with all these trolls registering here and running amok; one feels especially for chris_ and TVDOC, having to run around all the time dealing with the problem, rather than being able to sit back and enjoy conservativecave once in a while.

Now, this is not the first time registration limitations have been put on conservativecave.

I recall that for a while, registering applicants had to answer a question about the value of pi.

Really.  That rule was really in effect, and used.

There's been other times other sorts of restrictions have been placed, most usually around Christmas time.

It's very possible this new rule is only a short-term rule, although I can't say that for sure.

If someone wishes to join conservativecave, the easiest way is simply to send an e-mail to the administrators.

Providing a member here as a reference, or lacking that, some sort of bona fide evidence that shows good conduct on other message boards (our old home, freerepublic, whatnot), or even simply just argue a good reason one would like to be included.

conservativecave is happy to have new members, and anything we can do to facilitate their passage into here, we'll do.  It's just that right now, with school being out, the road's a little bumpy.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 10:37:19 PM »
Pi is reely valuwobble, specially affter livver and brockely.
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 06:14:34 AM »
No way, sir; you've been nothing but an asset here.

Anyway, yes, it HAS been a problem, with all these trolls registering here and running amok; one feels especially for chris_ and TVDOC, having to run around all the time dealing with the problem, rather than being able to sit back and enjoy conservativecave once in a while.

Now, this is not the first time registration limitations have been put on conservativecave.

I recall that for a while, registering applicants had to answer a question about the value of pi.

Really.  That rule was really in effect, and used.

There's been other times other sorts of restrictions have been placed, most usually around Christmas time.

It's very possible this new rule is only a short-term rule, although I can't say that for sure.

If someone wishes to join conservativecave, the easiest way is simply to send an e-mail to the administrators.

Providing a member here as a reference, or lacking that, some sort of bona fide evidence that shows good conduct on other message boards (our old home, freerepublic, whatnot), or even simply just argue a good reason one would like to be included.

conservativecave is happy to have new members, and anything we can do to facilitate their passage into here, we'll do.  It's just that right now, with school being out, the road's a little bumpy.

Thanks for the recognition (or lack thereof) Frank!! :(  I was the one that made up the question about "pi". I was also the one that turned off the registration and created the statement in the header. While I am working, now,  I still do a lot of stuff behind the scenes.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 06:40:21 AM »
Thanks for the recognition (or lack thereof) Frank!! :(  I was the one that made up the question about "pi". I was also the one that turned off the registration and created the statement in the header. While I am working, now,  I still do a lot of stuff behind the scenes.

Well now, sir, I'm aware--and highly appreciative--of all that you do for the rest of us.

For a while back, you were the only administrator who could run things, as the other administrators were too busy in real life; I remember that well, and that you devised the pi question.

The pi question was devised because we were getting some really stupid registrants, and wanted to have an intelligence threshhold for members, a minimum IQ thing.  I had suggested we ask the question, "who was the first person ever known to read without moving his lips?" but was overruled.

Every administrator here has done a great deal of work for conservativecave, and continues to do so, and my admiration for all that Thor does, is boundless.  It's just that this was a case where a couple of other administrators were visibly running around trying to nab trolls.

Thor is awesome, everybody.  Trust me.  I know.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 01:38:08 PM »

Registration has now been re-opened, and we'll see how it goes now.

Our apologies to those who've been trying to register while registrations were closed, but it was necessary for a short time, to stop teenaged trolls from invading the site.

We'll see how it goes, and a lid taken off is a lid that can be put on again.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline CG6468

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 01:41:49 PM »
Pi are not squared. Pi are round.  :whistling:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 04:51:20 PM »
Pi are not squared. Pi are round.  :whistling:

No, Pi = 3.14  :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: It is not round, nor is it square. Pie, on the other hand, should be round, otherwise, it's cobbler!!

Offline CG6468

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 04:56:52 PM »
No, Pi = 3.14  :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: It is not round, nor is it square. Pie, on the other hand, should be round, otherwise, it's cobbler!!

Cobble this!  :rotf:  :lmao:

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 01:51:32 AM »
Mainly, We're looking for references from current members in good standing. (which is 99% of you folks) 

who is the 1%?   :whistling:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.