Author Topic: NH: Senate votes to end tests for seniors renewing license  (Read 10683 times)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: NH: Senate votes to end tests for seniors renewing license
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2011, 09:43:37 PM »
the stimulus funds we lost this year

You just said a mouthful right there, FL.  Statist much?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2011, 05:40:49 AM »
You just said a mouthful right there, FL.  Statist much?

??

That is fact.   The stimulus funds are done, and states are now sinking and/or careening off the cliff they have been barreling towards for a few years now.

The drastic measures to reign in public employee benefits we are seeing now (in MA of all places) should have occurred years ago in lieu of the government handout. Regardless of that opinion, we can't change the facts surrounding the states' present fiscal realities.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2011, 05:56:17 AM »
My point being, what right did you EVER have to expect stimulus funds.  Had there been no "stimulus" (i.e., union and state employee slush fund), what would you have done then?

IOW, the states SHOULD have careened off the cliff years ago because of their ineptitude and greed of their employees.  Instead, we have a plethora of stories from ALL states about guys and gals who are making $70-80K a year in pension (!) and turning around and getting ANOTHER state job for $100K or more.

Patrick is a joke.  This guy talks a good story but at the end of the day he's as bad as any of them.  Same with Lynch.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2011, 06:02:49 AM »
My point being, what right did you EVER have to expect stimulus funds.  Had there been no "stimulus" (i.e., union and state employee slush fund), what would you have done then?

IOW, the states SHOULD have careened off the cliff years ago because of their ineptitude and greed of their employees.  Instead, we have a plethora of stories from ALL states about guys and gals who are making $70-80K a year in pension (!) and turning around and getting ANOTHER state job for $100K or more.

Patrick is a joke.  This guy talks a good story but at the end of the day he's as bad as any of them.  Same with Lynch.

Which is what I just posted.    :whatever:

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2011, 06:08:07 AM »
I do have to state about Patrick -- he is a mystery lately.    He is the one who filed legislation with his budget that strips collective bargaining from public employee unions for health insurance.    I think the GOP in my state are still stunned by this.    The HWM filed their budget, and the house leadership are standing with Patrick on this issue.    Fifty house members have signed on with the unions to fight it, so that leaves DeLeo needing the GOP to get this legislation passed.   

Simply delicious.

Patrick's DESE then files proposed legislation completely overhauling teacher evaluations, to the tune of effectively stripping teachers of their professional status (i.e. "tenure") so they can be easily terminated for non-performance (the four prong standard for which to be very strict).   

I am scratching my head over it all for sure.   

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2011, 06:30:39 AM »
Which is what I just posted.    :whatever:

Yes and no--where I focused was your statement which gave the appearance of Porkulus being some sort of "right" or "entitlement" which should have gone on ad infinitum.

What we SHOULD have been looking at for the past 40 years is telling all those assholes who come around with their hands out crying, "It's for the CHILDREN!!!" and saying to them, fine--if it's for the children, show us improvement in their education and that they're ready to enter the workforce by age 18, otherwise pound sand.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2011, 07:18:03 AM »
The entitlement mentality now means handouts.  When did it begin?  I largely credit FDR with farm subsidies,  unions, and a plethora of public works programs.   A current theme one finds in dump conversation regarding social security is "What are you going to replace it with"?   Ditto porkulus.  Perhaps that is too obscure, both Republicans and dems fall for this line of reason.  What would we do without _________ fill in the blank.

There is a vast difference between an entitlement and a handout.  One is earned ( as in you are entitled to twenty dollars for five hours work.... ) the other is provided gratis (as in here is twenty bucks go buy a new coat).  

FL you really need to correct some MCAS if you never have. When we say Mass is at the top of the heap it really doesn't tell the whole story. The underside of a rotten apple atop a barrel is still rotten.  And yes, I have corrected more than just MCAS tests in multi disciplines at various levels.   You cannot teach intelligence, scores always bear this out falling along a standard distribution.  The best paper from Kentucky is very much like the best paper from NH or MA although the subject matter may reflect a local bias.  As you go down the scale things go downhill rapidly.  Once you pass a certain point even with MCAS it becomes obvious that kids are not being taught to think but rather regurgitate and that is pretty much what you get :puke:. ESL and SPED are even worse.  It can make for a long day.  

For anyone who has not read it I recommend 'Making The Grades' by Todd  Farley (I could have scored next to this guy on any given occasion his accounts are very accurate)
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2011, 09:45:22 AM »
zeitgeist you cannot compare the urban districts to the rural and suburban areas of MA.   The students in my district are bright to exceptionally bright for the most part.  Our demographics are very small % of minorities and free lunch (which means we qualify for nada nothing in the grant department).   Good teachers, kids come from two parent homes, with parents very involved and supportive of their schools.   You will find this in most of the suburbs of the state.   

That all said, you can't completely discount the socioeconomic factor for some of these students in the urban districts.   Homeless, parents are gang bangers, abused, neglected.   Public education hasn't determined a way to effectively teach students who are dealing with these type of issues at home, and who knows if they ever will.   I have friends and family who try to teach these kids -- however, most of the teachers assigned to these schools aren't exactly what would be considered the best in education.

There is no need to fix MCAS.   The need is for schools districts to know how to analyze the data received from these assessments, and to focus more on literacy -- reading/writing is the key to all areas of instruction. 

How the hell do you motivate a child to learn who probably went to bed about 2 a.m., hungry, after experiencing God knows what from their POS parent, or guardians?    You don't, or if you do it is because of a truly gifted teacher who found a way.   We just don't have enough of those and until we do these assessments are going to have that cohort of students who aren't making the cut, in any way, shape or form.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2011, 09:46:10 AM »
Yes and no--where I focused was your statement which gave the appearance of Porkulus being some sort of "right" or "entitlement" which should have gone on ad infinitum.

What we SHOULD have been looking at for the past 40 years is telling all those assholes who come around with their hands out crying, "It's for the CHILDREN!!!" and saying to them, fine--if it's for the children, show us improvement in their education and that they're ready to enter the workforce by age 18, otherwise pound sand.

Give me a f&*($% break Sparky -- don't project that bullshit on me. 

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2011, 09:46:37 AM »
Give me a f&*($% break Sparky -- don't project that bullshit on me. 

Hey, you said it, not me.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2011, 09:53:48 AM »
Hey, you said it, not me.

No, I didn't.   Your conjecture to a statement of fact (which was minus an opinion) is reaching to say the very least.    

For giggles, let's see what happens here -- MA legislatures filed legislation which will turn away Common Core Standard money grab giveaways (the new Obama stimulus packaged under a different name).     We will count how many other states will follow suit.  

zeitgist talks about the concerns he has with scoring MCAS?   what until he sees the testing for Common Core Standards.    It dumbs down the curriculum about 75%.  

We'll see how the conservative NH does in the money handouts.    Then you can tell me all about entitlements and rights.  

Sad when the bluest of blue states in the union will be one of the handful that says no thanks to a federal money handout.   They all should be saying no.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 10:05:36 AM by formerlurker »

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back just yet, hon.

I don't see anyone proposing doing away with forced unionization and going to right-to-work south of the Merrimack just yet.  Do you?

And pragmatist I am, I know as well as you do that this "proposal" won't survive 10 seconds in the MA Legislature or Senate, or any version that DOES survive will be so watered down as to be useless.  And at the end of the day, they'll dumb down the kids because the money is what's paramount here.  Always has been, always will be.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2011, 05:16:38 PM »
Thought I'd give this a little bump as well to include the following:

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/lif_bes_sta_to_liv-lifestyle-best-states-to-live