Author Topic: God Bless All Of You These Next 48 Hours  (Read 7336 times)

Offline The Hollywood NeoCon

• Visionary, Sage, Drunkard, Screenwriter
  • "For God & Country: Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"
God Bless All Of You These Next 48 Hours
« on: February 01, 2011, 09:39:24 AM »
I know I talk a lot of shit about living out here in the Land Of Silk & Money, but I have a tremendous amount of love and affection for all of you here, and am especially worried about what I'm seeing on the various weather channels.

Please know that despite my bullshit about going to the beach to eat fish tacos, I'll most likely be glued to the TV, praying that all of you in the path of this storm know what needs to be done, and have either already done it, are doing it, or are ready to do it!!! When WGN America refers to this as a "life-threatening" blizzard, I tend to worry about the people I truly care about, online or not.

I know it's an incredibly selfish thing to ask, but for the sake of those of us who care deeply for you (even you bastards that insist upon BS'ing me for the ****ing crocs), try to keep us up to date, ok?

Maybe a storm sticky is in order? Just a thought.

I truly love you people here, and I just wanted to let you all know that.  :cheersmate: :yahoo: :lol:

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: God Bless All Of You These Next 48 Hours
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 09:43:05 AM »
SNOW-PALOOZA/SNOW-POCALYPSE 2011!!!!!!111eleventy!111111!!!!!!!!
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 09:43:59 AM »
My favorite was "SMOWMG!!!!"

A close second is "SNOWPRAH!!!"  :-)

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 09:44:17 AM »
We got a good amount of ice in Dallas, but I have a humorous story to share.

We have cables on our squad car tires today, so we have decent traction.  I come up to a pickup truck trying to climb a hill, but he can't.  I pull up behind him with my push bumper and I gas it.  As I'm pushing this truck up the hill I look over and I'm passing the driver..............

He had to run pretty  hard to catch up to his truck.   :yahoo: :whistling:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 09:45:30 AM »
I like my weather like I like my women... dry and uninteresting.

It's going to be warm and wet here for the next 24 hours with a lot of rain, and then dry and sunny over the weekend.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 09:46:01 AM »
I texted a friend in Dallas this morning to tell her I saw the snow on ESPN this morning.  She's a teacher and she said they have a snow day of all things. :banghead:

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 09:46:27 AM »
H5's to TexasCop and Chris for finding the humor in something I really hope isn't as bad as we're hearing out here in La-La Land.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 09:48:54 AM »
....for finding the humor in something I really hope isn't as bad as we're hearing out here in La-La Land.

We'll survive.  We always do.  Just gives the media something to talk about. :cheersmate:

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 09:51:14 AM »
People are staying home, thank God.  It really wasn't that bad.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 09:56:48 AM »
As I look out the office window (Albany NY), I wonder just how big the cluster**** is going to be going home.  I gassed up my wife's Corolla last night, and put it in the garage we rent at the apartment complex.  My Saturn SL has about 3/4ths of a tank.  I went out about 45 minutes ago and brushed the snow off the thing, as it was piling up on it.  While I was walking back to my building, some idiots behind me were laughing at the sounds that my boots were making on the floor.  **** 'em.  When they're buried off the side of the road, I'll make sure to blow my horn, point at them, and laugh.

At my apartment building . . . the 2nd-grade teacher who lives one floor below me told me that her after-school stuff had already been cancelled at 7 AM (she's their high school's varsity girls' basketball coach).  She said something about "hunkering down" tonight.  My wife and I have so much canned food in our kitchen, that we're running out of places to store it.  Maybe said 2nd-grade teacher and her roommate (a sub in another school district) can come up to "hunker down" with us! :hyper: :tongue: :drool:  (It ain't happening, though. :argh: Damn!)

We'll survive--we always manage to.  
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 09:59:34 AM »

We'll survive--we always manage to.  

Thanks for the info, BSS! That's the kind of stuff I hope to hear from you guys. Stay safe, stay warm.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 10:17:02 AM »
It's snowing pretty hard here, and the city seems to have decided to wait until the end of the storm to plow.  **sigh**  I tried getting out earlier, but gave up when I realized that none of the streets in my area are plowed and all are drifted 2' in places.  I don't mind some shoveling, but that was a little too much!!  I just shoveled enough to get back into the driveway. 

Other than that, I'm not too worried.  If power goes out, we have a kerosene heater and our hot water is all natural gas.  We have lots of food on hand, and Mr Smith made sure to stock up on donuts and other snacks last night.   :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:  We're in good shape.   :-)

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 10:24:24 AM »

Other than that, I'm not too worried.  If power goes out, we have a kerosene heater and our hot water is all natural gas.  We have lots of food on hand, and Mr Smith made sure to stock up on donuts and other snacks last night.   :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:  We're in good shape.   :-)

May I ask where you are, Mrs. Smith?

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 10:32:08 AM »
The blizzard is just hitting us here in Kansas City.......had about an inch of  overnight snow on top of the quarter inch of ice from yesterday.  I DID manage to get the dogs walked early this morning, but even they weren't very enthusiastic about it. Snowing now (horizontally) at the rate of about 2" per hour, and the wind is gusting to 30 knots, visibility is around 75 yards, and its just getting started.

Forecast is for 12 to 18 inches by midnight, and the temps will drop to six to ten below zero afterward.  Ran our generator yesterday, and got it fueled and ready if the power fails, otherwise, we are just enjoying the show......

Everything is closed, so this will likely be just another part of life in the midwest.........

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 10:34:40 AM »
I know I talk a lot of shit about living out here in the Land Of Silk & Money, but I have a tremendous amount of love and affection for all of you here, and am especially worried about what I'm seeing on the various weather channels.

Please know that despite my bullshit about going to the beach to eat fish tacos, I'll most likely be glued to the TV, praying that all of you in the path of this storm know what needs to be done, and have either already done it, are doing it, or are ready to do it!!! When WGN America refers to this as a "life-threatening" blizzard, I tend to worry about the people I truly care about, online or not.

I know it's an incredibly selfish thing to ask, but for the sake of those of us who care deeply for you (even you bastards that insist upon BS'ing me for the ****ing crocs), try to keep us up to date, ok?

Maybe a storm sticky is in order? Just a thought.

I truly love you people here, and I just wanted to let you all know that.  :cheersmate: :yahoo: :lol:

Is the real HNC bound, gagged and thrown in a closet somewhere?? Who ARE you?  :-)

All quiet on the eastern front here (so far).
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 10:35:47 AM »
May I ask where you are, Mrs. Smith?
Hmmmm...I answered this once, and it seems to have disappeared?  So if this is a repeat, sorry.

We're in southeast Kansas, so we're getting a lot of snow, but we're not as bad as Oklahoma.  Tulsa appears to be totally buried!

Mr Smith grew up in this area, and I moved down from Nebraska, so we're both used to keeping lots of food on hand.  Hence his snack-food binge...he knew we had real food, but I couldn't bake anything if our electric stove had no power.  You've got to keep your priorities straight, after all!!   :rotf: :rotf:

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 10:39:45 AM »
I'm so-o-o glad I'm not up north anymore. If we do get sleet or snow, no way I'm going anywhere.  These people have seen snow ONCE in their lives, yet they all know how to drive in it.  Amateur hour. But I will video as they slide by. :-)  Other than that it shouldn't be a problem. Back to 68° on Sunday.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline thundley4

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 10:43:50 AM »
We have a little over an inch of stuff on the ground, with much more predicted later this afternoon. We have a kerosene heater and gas stove and gas water heater. Also plenty of batteries and a couple of oil lamps.

Offline Karin

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 10:57:45 AM »
HNC, I'm touched by your OP.  As you can see by TVDOC's post, you're not dealing with a buncha DUmmies here.  If there was any gang that knew how to batten down the hatches, provide for ourselves, and look out for the neighbors, it's us.
 :cheersmate:

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 11:05:43 AM »
HNC, I'm touched by your OP.  As you can see by TVDOC's post, you're not dealing with a buncha DUmmies here.  If there was any gang that knew how to batten down the hatches, provide for ourselves, and look out for the neighbors, it's us.
 :cheersmate:

Oh, I soooo know that Karin, but I'm feeling like I need to keep in touch with you all, given that most of you are in the path of this thing.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 11:13:14 AM »
I'm in the NW edge of the pink patch that says ".5 to .75 inches of freezing rain," fortunately so far it's all been sleet, a LOT of sleet, which sucks enough but does a whole lot less collateral damage to powerlines and tree limbs that overhang houses, cars, and more powerlines.  The big snow line lies right about at my workplace, some 35 miles NNW of my home.  I think Eupher and TVDOC live where they're going to get the brunt of the snow here in MO.

Love the avatar, HNC, I probably still have a copy of that magazine boxed up somewhere with my old college shit.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 11:21:42 AM »
Is the real HNC bound, gagged and thrown in a closet somewhere?? Who ARE you?  :-)

All quiet on the eastern front here (so far).

Kinky woman doing a little projection, are we?

Round one started here around 9 am.  That'll keep up for about 10-12 hours total and leave us with about 6 inches.  Round two is supposed to start about 4-5 am tomorrow.  That's the ball-buster.  As much as 18 additional inches.

Gassed up the Jeep last night and got an extra 10 gallons on top of what I already had (full snowblower, full generator, and one 5-gallon can.)  Called a service to plow out the driveway and shovel the roof on Thursday morning after the storm blows through.  I just flat-out don't have time right now.

Unfortunately, they're only asking "critical people" to show up for work tomorrow, but with one of the diesel generators out, that makes us "critical people".  Already anticipating 2-plus hours to get to and from work tomorrow and Thursday (normally takes 45 minutes.)  12-hour days, so basically I'm gonna be a real tired puppy.  I've already figured out I'm going to back in the Jeep into the driveway just far enough to get out of the road and not all the way to the house.

Welcome to New England.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 11:28:59 AM »

Gassed up the Jeep last night and got an extra 10 gallons on top of what I already had (full snowblower, full generator, and one 5-gallon can.)  Called a service to plow out the driveway and shovel the roof on Thursday morning after the storm blows through.  I just flat-out don't have time right now.

Welcome to New England.

I tried buying my mom a generator, but no joy. Her neighbor, however, is one of those Hispanic immigrants who played by the rules and has now expeerienced the American Dream. Ergo, I've talked to his wife, Sonja, and he's going to ensure she's well-cared for the next couple of days. I told her, whatever he needs, let me know, and I'll make sure he can pick it up at the local Home Depot. Francisco, in a word, ****ing ROCKS.

Sparky, you miserable ****, you stay safe, my man.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 11:40:24 AM »
Keep safe, Sparky -- from your description, it sounds like a rough few days for you.

And Hollywood, sorry for the snark -- can't stop myself sometimes.  All the ice/snow is tracking north of where I am; we're just going to get majorly soaked by rain.  It's nice to know someone worries though . . .  :blowkiss:
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2011, 11:42:23 AM »
Yeah, generators are not one of those "impulse" purchases to get just before the shit hits the fan.  A lot of people found that out the hard way when the ice storm hit here in December 2008.  HD was getting 50 per day and still selling out 15 minutes after store openings.  I also highly recommend you get her a transfer switch, and at her age, make it something automatic that will switch back over to the normal supply when the power comes back on so she doesn't have to worry about it.

There are propane/natural gas standbys that come on instantly on a loss of power and run the whole house, but those can be pretty pricey ($5-8K plus installation) versus the $1000-1200 for a portable generator and manual transfer switch.

I'll be fine as long as I can keep that big ****ing silver rolling shitbox of mine between the ditches going between work and the plant.  BTW--did I mention that IT'S ****ING SNOWING INSIDE THE TURBINE BUILDING????

And you owe me a fish taco, you miserable bastard.  I don't care if it's Rubio's, Wahoo's, or Neptune's Net.  Each of them has something I like.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford