Author Topic: Wisconsin: Smoking is now banned in Bars, Taverns, and The Workplace  (Read 14679 times)

Offline formerlurker

Re: Wisconsin: Smoking is now banned in Bars, Taverns, and The Workplace
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2010, 10:32:17 AM »
The Smoking Haters are so emotionally invested in the issue no one will ever change their minds. I thinks it's utterly astounding that the "haters" have so totally bought into their positions with classic Liberals Ideals. They are so extremely emotionally invested that no amt of evidence to the contrary will move them from their position.theyalso fail to realize that by ceding more control to govt it paves the road for yet more & more govt control over everyones lifes. So typically liberal, govt control over others not them & emotion rather than logic & factual driven

WTF?    Smoking haters?     :rotf:

:whatever:

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2010, 10:37:12 AM »
The Smoking Haters are so emotionally invested in the issue no one will ever change their minds. I thinks it's utterly astounding that the "haters" have so totally bought into their positions with classic Liberals Ideals. They are so extremely emotionally invested that no amt of evidence to the contrary will move them from their position.theyalso fail to realize that by ceding more control to govt it paves the road for yet more & more govt control over everyones lifes. So typically liberal, govt control over others not them & emotion rather than logic & factual driven

Lighten up, Francis.

I'm an ex-smoker, but I really couldn't give two shits whether or not a place is smoking or not.  If I want to patronize a place that allows smoking (for example, our local American Legion hall does), and I want to deal with the clothes smell afterwards, it's all good.  If not, I don't.

Choice means YOU can change the channel too.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2010, 10:40:29 AM »

Zeus has a point. There are many people that are so rabidly anti-smoking that they could care less on what freedoms they usurp or cede. (This applies to all political affiliations)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2010, 11:15:02 AM »

Zeus has a point. There are many people that are so rabidly anti-smoking that they could care less on what freedoms they usurp or cede. (This applies to all political affiliations)

+1 for both of you. Agreed.

WTF?    Smoking haters?     :rotf:

Would "freedom killers", "prohibitionists," or just plain "assholes" be more accurate?

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2010, 11:23:09 AM »
Would many of you be saying the same things if the DUmmies were looking for bans on tobacco products across the United States? I'd still be sticking to my guns. Admittedly, tobacco products are worse (for THE SMOKER) than the soft drink bans in San Fran, but did any of you support those??
San Fran is full of loons no stopping them. And this issue is the core of the conservative movement; ever heard of STATE’S RIGHTS? The states are saying “you can’t smoke here.” I would be dead set against a federal law of the same caliber.

Quote from: Revolution
Firstly, if that's the way it panned out, no. But that isn't usually the case, now is it? Secondly, restaurants USED to have two sections. You could go to yours without fear of a smoker coming in and lighting up next to your kid. Third, even if a smoker did light up on the bench next to you in your non smoking section, you could do one of two things. 1. Ask him to leave/go back to his section. 2. Talk to the manager or whoever is in charge. Simple really.
  Growing up both my parents were former smokers, we always sat in non-smoking sections, and they were always separated from the smoking section by a fern or an aquarium, not the type of thing that is going to stop smoke.

I'm just curious, but do you happen to give smokers shit as you walk by them standing outside having one? It just seems that your attitude is quite hostile. Don't worry though. Unless you/your kids have respiratory problems, or are pregnant...you're gonna be fine. (If by chance someone in your family does have respiratory problems, I would NEVER smoke around them, and would hope nobody else would either.)
  I don’t give a rat’s ass if you smoke outside – the whole point is I don’t want you to smoke inside where I am. And hostile has nothing to do with it, as long as I don’t have to sit in a cloud of your smoke.
So I agree that the science isn’t truly settled you go right back to “suck up all the SHS you want, you’re gonna be fine.” No thanks. Next you’ll say pot is harmless too, right. And the signs that we wear around our necks that say “please don’t smoke near us we have respiratory problems” always chaff the back of my neck.

That's both outrageous, and comical One, it's entirely crass to say "Oh well" to owners that were FORCED to get these gigantic, money eating things that are now worthless. Two, because you seem like the kind of person that the prohibitionists bought. Two sided coin, I guess.
It is neither outrageous, nor comical to say oh well. What else should I say – “darn, that’s a waste” – or “here’s ten bucks, does that make it better?” – Maybe: “vote for a different governor and get this overturned, then your smoke eaters will be useful again.” Businesses face changing regulations all the time, they’re used to it and it is a risk of being an owner vs. being and employee.  And then back to federal law vs. state’s rights.

However, the prohibitionists, and the media bought the majority of people based on a lie. So did Obama. Why is it that we can criticize Obama based on his lies, but because we don't like the SMELL of something, for God's sake, it A-OK to buy right into the rhetoric??

So I have changed my mind, smoking is dangerous – it harms the brain.  Why bring the dickhead of the united states into this? I don’t like the smell of smoke, it is possibly harmful to me, and it makes food taste different and my cloths smell after I’m in a room full of it.  All the reason I need to say get the hell outside and puff away.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2010, 11:42:05 AM »
San Fran is full of loons no stopping them. And this issue is the core of the conservative movement; ever heard of STATE’S RIGHTS? The states are saying “you can’t smoke here.” I would be dead set against a federal law of the same caliber.
  Growing up both my parents were former smokers, we always sat in non-smoking sections, and they were always separated from the smoking section by a fern or an aquarium, not the type of thing that is going to stop smoke.

What's the difference between the federal government taking away the nation's freedom, and the state government taking away it's state's citizen's freedom? It's STILL a breech of freedom.

Really? A lot of seperated, segragated restaurants I've been to have benches, and those wood protrusions that block it. Many more have the smoking/non in seperate areas totally, so that smoke would be a non issue.

I don’t give a rat’s ass if you smoke outside – the whole point is I don’t want you to smoke inside where I am. And hostile has nothing to do with it, as long as I don’t have to sit in a cloud of your smoke.

So your desire outweights mine? Is that what I'm gathering?

So I agree that the science isn’t truly settled you go right back to “suck up all the SHS you want, you’re gonna be fine.” No thanks. Next you’ll say pot is harmless too, right.

Not in terms of "contact high" maybe. I don't know about the SHS stuff pertaining to pot, because there are totally different chemicals/ingredients in pot. However, I wouldn't put much into the argument with pot or hash either. The science isn't doing too well for cigarettes/cigars.

And the signs that we wear around our necks that say “please don’t smoke near us we have respiratory problems” always chaff the back of my neck.

And I'm sorry you have respiratory problems, but you need to communicate that so we know. Just like we need to show courtest towards you. It's a two way street.

It is neither outrageous, nor comical to say oh well. What else should I say – “darn, that’s a waste” – or “here’s ten bucks, does that make it better?” – Maybe: “vote for a different governor and get this overturned, then your smoke eaters will be useful again.” Businesses face changing regulations all the time, they’re used to it and it is a risk of being an owner vs. being and employee.  And then back to federal law vs. state’s rights.

All right, let's refer back to what I said just a little bit ago...

So I have changed my mind, smoking is dangerous – it harms the brain.  Why bring the dickhead of the united states into this? I don’t like the smell of smoke, it is possibly harmful to me, and it makes food taste different and my cloths smell after I’m in a room full of it.  All the reason I need to say get the hell outside and puff away.
[/quote]

Nobody is arguing that smoking is dangerous....FOR THE SMOKER! And where are you getting that it harms the brain. It harms the lungs, sure, but I believe that it actually helps the brain in that there are nicotine receptors up there that make you feel good, and relaxed....more focused. Still, for the smoker, the good outweights the bad.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2010, 12:43:42 PM »
Well we can argue all you want to, but you still can't smoke in a restaurant/ business.

Yes, according to your state and mine, my desire outweighs yours, at least in this matter.

I don't have respiratory problems, my point is you wouldn't know if I did or not by looking at me.

So now your saying the GOOD effects outweigh any possible bad? Is that like saying you drive better after a six-pack of beer because you're concentrating more??

~out~
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2010, 01:40:01 PM »
OK, I smoke. That said, when I go to the VFW during the bingo sessions, I can't stand it. We even have smoke eaters that are cleaned fairly often now. It still gets to a point where the smoke eaters don't work, as heavy as the smoke is. Hell, I even divided the bingo hall into a smoking and non-smoking section. Y'all should have HEARD the bitching by the smokers. (Keep in mind that our average bingo player is 65 or older, so they have been smoking for many years) The non-smokers appreciated the effort, even for how well it doesn't work. (The only "barrier" is a dance floor of some 30 ft wide) At least they don't have people sitting right next to them, chain smoking.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2010, 05:19:02 PM »
Would "freedom killers", "prohibitionists," or just plain "assholes" be more accurate?

Freedom killers?     :whatever:

Lots of links to research, and statistics (which has links to even more stats and research), from Hawkgirl's original link.   You aren't looking at them however cause you found a handful of links that claim it's all a conspiracy theory of big government.   Whatever.

Wisconsin is denying your right to blow smoke in someone's face.   So sue them. 

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2010, 10:26:54 PM »

I probably qualify as a smoking hater. I quit in 1979 after having smoked about 10 years. At the time I quit, I was up to about a pack a day -- not much by many smoking standards.

I can still remember the pleasure in smoking a cigarette after a meal and with a cup of coffee. At the same time, I knew it was killing me. When I damn near died (seemed like, anyway) after running a mile, I knew it was time to quit.

Anyway - I'm emotionally involved in this largely because my mother literally committed suicide by smoking. She'd had 7 bypasses done and had actually quit smoking for maybe 3 years, then decided she was ready to check out and picked it up again. I hated cigarettes and what she did with them. I hated the fact that she chose to end her life that way.

I hear the arguments about encroachment on liberty and property rights and SHS data being skewed or not. And as much as I loathe the size of the government and what it's become, I do believe government has a measure of responsibility in making sure that people are making informed decisions about what they're doing -- and as we have seen time and time again, people are misinformed or completely ignorant. Where we have situations where people like children or minors are in public places and they're exposed to tobacco, I think government has an obligation to restrict that activity, particularly when there is a public health issue as a result. Does that mean government goes after fatbodies? Not really. As far as I can tell, obesity impacts the immediate family, though there is a disturbing trend in our society.

It's easy to regulate smoking. It's a whole different matter to regulate Twinkie-stuffing.

If you're running a bar or restaurant and you choose to allow smoking in your facility, you won't see me frequenting your establishment. I vote with my feet. I quit bowling for that reason -- God, the smoke was so thick you could cut it with a knife.

As far as I'm concerned, the data are completely overwhelming -- the act of routinely using a tobacco product, usually by smoking it, has a deleterious effect on the human body. The fact that some people can smoke like chimneys their entire lives and not (supposedly) be impacted by the habit does not indicate anything about the statistical norm -- those folks are simply outliers. Most people have trouble as a result of smoking.

It's a tough issue. But I can tell you that Mrs E and I will turn around and walk out of a facility that smells like a chimney. For a business owner whose clientele consists of maybe 85% who smoke, he/she won't give a rip. That's fine. It's a win-win. I keep my lungs intact and he keeps his coughing and hacking customers.

And then there was the scene when I visited a family member in the hospital, in mid-January in Michigan with the temps in the single digits. Right there by the main entrance, off to the side a little bit, stood a man who had an IV stuck in his arm and the little wheeled stand with the IV bottle hanging from it, dressed in one of those backless hospital gowns, slippers on his feet and ice on the pavement -- smoking his cigarette.

I liken that to the hopeless drunk whose liver is gone, yellow as a daffodil from jaundice, as he lifts the water glass of rotgut gin up to his mouth with shaking hands....

Some people call that freedom. I call it enslavement.

YMMV.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2010, 09:13:51 AM »
  I can see both sides of this problem.

In the State of Maine in the dead of winter say at 10 degrees below zero you are caught in a car with the windows rolled up and you have anyone in the car under 18, you can be arrested for child abuse if anyone is smoking.

My favorite restaurant and bar had a large nonsmoking area and big  heavy glass french doors to the bar area where one could dine, drink and smoke.

This place had great food and those handi capped buses from the local nursing homes came rolling in when the special of the day was less then $5.00. The old timers loved the food and a chance to get the Hell out of the nursing home. There were some old timers, male and female  that sneak into the bar area to eat and light up, play cards, read a book or just pass the time of day over a forbidden highball and a smoke.

Bless their hearts, after living and contributing to the USA for 80+ years, this was the last place they had any freedom twice a week.  They drowned everything with salt, ate anything with fat,  and for 90 minutes lived as they wanted to.  In this place they were free to make their own decisions and free from anyone telling them what to do or not do.

I loved this place, the people who had worked, cried and suffered to build America were out of the prison where they had no choices on how they lived the last months of their lives.

When NH put in the non smoking bill, the restaurant began to slide, no more freedon for the old timers and they stopped coming.  We had about 100 or so regulars that lived with in walking distance and stopped in for a cheap meal or a drink and a smoke 3-4 times a week. This also came to a stop.

Two days before Xmas the wait staff and kitchen workers --who knew the name of the regulars and the names of their kids, were told they would close the very next day. This was a disaster for us who had come to feel like this was a second home.

Since then a couple of others have tried to run the restaurant, the longest running place is a chicken and sandwitch place. The prices are cheap for lunch but to go in after work is now a once a month thing, after working overtime.

Now for 18 months I did not smoke but ate in the bar area to catch up on town news and gossip, much fun  as the state of the art air scrubbers cleaned the air.

I refuse to go to the clubs or restaurants that have 30 some odd people smoking POT or cigs. outside the front doors. Last thing I need is a contact high from the Pot to make me order everything on the menu.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2010, 09:51:59 AM »
I probably qualify as a smoking hater. I quit in 1979 after having smoked about 10 years. At the time I quit, I was up to about a pack a day -- not much by many smoking standards.

I can still remember the pleasure in smoking a cigarette after a meal and with a cup of coffee. At the same time, I knew it was killing me. When I damn near died (seemed like, anyway) after running a mile, I knew it was time to quit.

Anyway - I'm emotionally involved in this largely because my mother literally committed suicide by smoking. She'd had 7 bypasses done and had actually quit smoking for maybe 3 years, then decided she was ready to check out and picked it up again. I hated cigarettes and what she did with them. I hated the fact that she chose to end her life that way.

I hear the arguments about encroachment on liberty and property rights and SHS data being skewed or not. And as much as I loathe the size of the government and what it's become, I do believe government has a measure of responsibility in making sure that people are making informed decisions about what they're doing -- and as we have seen time and time again, people are misinformed or completely ignorant. Where we have situations where people like children or minors are in public places and they're exposed to tobacco, I think government has an obligation to restrict that activity, particularly when there is a public health issue as a result. Does that mean government goes after fatbodies? Not really. As far as I can tell, obesity impacts the immediate family, though there is a disturbing trend in our society.

It's easy to regulate smoking. It's a whole different matter to regulate Twinkie-stuffing.

If you're running a bar or restaurant and you choose to allow smoking in your facility, you won't see me frequenting your establishment. I vote with my feet. I quit bowling for that reason -- God, the smoke was so thick you could cut it with a knife.

As far as I'm concerned, the data are completely overwhelming -- the act of routinely using a tobacco product, usually by smoking it, has a deleterious effect on the human body. The fact that some people can smoke like chimneys their entire lives and not (supposedly) be impacted by the habit does not indicate anything about the statistical norm -- those folks are simply outliers. Most people have trouble as a result of smoking.

It's a tough issue. But I can tell you that Mrs E and I will turn around and walk out of a facility that smells like a chimney. For a business owner whose clientele consists of maybe 85% who smoke, he/she won't give a rip. That's fine. It's a win-win. I keep my lungs intact and he keeps his coughing and hacking customers.

And then there was the scene when I visited a family member in the hospital, in mid-January in Michigan with the temps in the single digits. Right there by the main entrance, off to the side a little bit, stood a man who had an IV stuck in his arm and the little wheeled stand with the IV bottle hanging from it, dressed in one of those backless hospital gowns, slippers on his feet and ice on the pavement -- smoking his cigarette.

I liken that to the hopeless drunk whose liver is gone, yellow as a daffodil from jaundice, as he lifts the water glass of rotgut gin up to his mouth with shaking hands....

Some people call that freedom. I call it enslavement.

YMMV.

Eupher, I don't think many are arguing that the smoker is probably harming themselves. The argument lies in the second hand smoke issue. Most definitely is that data skewed on that issue. As I pointed out, a particular Dr in Houston was intentionally skewing the data. If a person was ever exposed to tobacco smoke, he automatically listed that a cause of death regardless of what the true cause was. I recall reading about that during the military.com debate days.

AS you stated, "I'm vote with my feet". That's cool by me. Does second hand smoke stink?? Most definitely. Is it truly harmful?? One could argue that. What about all of the other pollutants in the air we breathe?? They're probably MORE harmful and nobody is doing a thing about that. When I lived in Becker, lung problems were common. Why?? There was a coal burning power plant in the town. Even I noticed that on particular days, when the wind was from the right direction, I had breathing problems. Other days, such as when the wind was from the North, no problems. But, yet, they continue on, without much regard to the local citizens. The Government says that they are doing stuff about having clean air, but when one can see a yellow haze over the town on certain days, the matter becomes quite apparent. What about the city busses that emit TONS of diesel fumes?? Ohh, the government says that they're not harmful. If that's the case, why do I get ill when stuck behind one of them??

Then there's the whole radio frequency wave issue....... another debatable factor.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
Eupher, I don't think many are arguing that the smoker is probably harming themselves. The argument lies in the second hand smoke issue. Most definitely is that data skewed on that issue. As I pointed out, a particular Dr in Houston was intentionally skewing the data. If a person was ever exposed to tobacco smoke, he automatically listed that a cause of death regardless of what the true cause was. I recall reading about that during the military.com debate days.

AS you stated, "I'm vote with my feet". That's cool by me. Does second hand smoke stink?? Most definitely. Is it truly harmful?? One could argue that. What about all of the other pollutants in the air we breathe?? They're probably MORE harmful and nobody is doing a thing about that. When I lived in Becker, lung problems were common. Why?? There was a coal burning power plant in the town. Even I noticed that on particular days, when the wind was from the right direction, I had breathing problems. Other days, such as when the wind was from the North, no problems. But, yet, they continue on, without much regard to the local citizens. The Government says that they are doing stuff about having clean air, but when one can see a yellow haze over the town on certain days, the matter becomes quite apparent. What about the city busses that emit TONS of diesel fumes?? Ohh, the government says that they're not harmful. If that's the case, why do I get ill when stuck behind one of them??

Then there's the whole radio frequency wave issue....... another debatable factor.

Okay, I think we can all agree that in any scientific point that is to be made, regardless of what it is, there is going to be misrepresentation and just plain fraud somewhere down the line. There's too much money at stake (the tobacco companies and insurance companies) and smokers are an easy target.

I haven't explored the SHS issue thoroughly, nor am I going to, but I think it's a matter of common sense that inhaling a regular amount of ANY substance that isn't normal air is going to be a problem somewhere down the road -- at least for me. You mention other pollutants -- as I said in my post, targeting smoking is an easy political move and compelling coal-fired power plants to install scrubbers is a lot more difficult. Remember the LA smog stuff and how much of a political hot button that was? There are many more miles being driven in the LA basin now than back in the Seventies and I have to think even with the extra California mandates on motor vehicles, LA still sees that yellow haze when temperature inversion occur.

Bottom line is, smokers are a dying breed (no pun intended). Fewer and fewer people are picking up the habit and more and more are quitting, despite the tobacco companies' best efforts -- and btw, their main efforts to induce people to pick up the habit (which is working fabulously) occurs in China. It's a battle they've lost here, so they look elsewhere to peddle their product.

That means less political clout here than in years past. It's really that simple.

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2010, 08:39:22 PM »
In the State of Maine in the dead of winter say at 10 degrees below zero you are caught in a car with the windows rolled up and you have anyone in the car under 18, you can be arrested for child abuse if anyone is smoking.

PLEASE tell me this is false! I don't think it is, but I would like to hope people aren't this money stupid. That's one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard.

Bottom line is, smokers are a dying breed (no pun intended).

I'll tell ya; it doesn't take long to see which side of the aisle you're on, dose it?

Fewer and fewer people are picking up the habit and more and more are quitting, despite the tobacco companies' best efforts

This makes your position even clearer. Good for people not picking up the habit. It's horrible for the 1st hand smoker. Good for people quitting. I'm struggling with that myself. The tobacco companies are just like any other company. They want business. If their bottom line is bountiful, they're happy. No need to get mad at the tobacco company because their customers choose to use their products. That's stupid

What's even dumber is to get mad at the company based on mistruths, and outright lies concerning a company's product. I could find link after link, after link explaining why the whole "SHS is a killer/SHS is harmful" bunk is a false accusation that has no bearing what so ever, but it won't do any good, I fear.

smokers are an easy target.

Yes, so let's do away wiith them completely. It doesn't matter that there's no concrete proof/hard data that supports their SHS claims. We don't like them, so they automatically have no rights/freedoms, and that's good enough for us.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 08:42:50 PM by Revolution »

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2010, 10:06:07 PM »
Where the tobacco companies screwed the pooch is putting in all of the additives. I'm of the impression that were cigarettes just plain tobacco, they wouldn't have had the massive lawsuits that the tobacco companies have experienced. The tobacco companies went out of their way to get people addicted.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2010, 10:17:40 PM »
Where the tobacco companies screwed the pooch is putting in all of the additives. I'm of the impression that were cigarettes just plain tobacco, they wouldn't have had the massive lawsuits that the tobacco companies have experienced. The tobacco companies went out of their way to get people addicted.

Totally agree with that, because it shows intent to addict people beyond what tobacco normally does. Juries don't look kindly on that kind of manipulation, especially when they deny it in court. The documents said otherwise.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2010, 10:21:11 PM »
Revolution:
I'll tell ya; it doesn't take long to see which side of the aisle you're on, dose it?

Rev, I've already stated that I qualify as a smoking hater. See reply #59. I also explained the reasons why and I flat-out admit that my reasons are not just based in fact and personal experience with tobacco, but also have an emotional element with a family member (my mother) who smoked herself to death.

Let me be clearer in one statement I made: Smokers are easy political targets. Is that a more accurate statement?

Offline JLO

« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2010, 10:53:42 PM »
http://www.fox21online.com/news/smoking-ban-hits-wisconsin-bars-restaurants

It went into effect 3 days ago. There are so many things wrong with this, I don't know where to begin. This owner of a bar says it better than I could.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUDd8ZQpYvU&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

She's right about wintertime. Watch things begin to heat up around Oct/Nov. Though, I'm already seeing people outside bitching legitimately while they smoke. I'm actually also seeing cops roll by the bars 4-5 times every few nights. They just glare at those standing outside exercising their rights. I know what's coming too. They can't control outside on the sidewalk, so they'll start citing people for littering just to fill their stinkin' kauffers.

This is a clear breach of freedom. Went into effect THE DAY AFTER INDEPENDENCE DAY!! How's that for cruel irony? I actually went to my local watering hole yesterday. Talked to some of the bar backs. One was telling me that he's going to lose 1/3 of his business/tips most likely. I was talking about making bars "Private clubs" Charge 8-12 bucks for a little plastic card membership, and make it a free establishment. Emphatic no. That guy seems scared to death, actually. I don't blame him. Fighting against stuff like this is tough. I understand him being worried about his livelihood. However, sometimes it is necessary.

Truckstops are the same way now. Can't smoke in any of those. I know because my father works at one. Employees who even walk on any ground not deemed "acceptable" to smoke outside on the premises are subject to punishment. It used to be that you could smoke in the restaurant, the convenience area, and truckers could smoke basically everywhere but the bathrooms. Including the theatre, and entertainment room.

Things are not the same anymore, and it's all because of prohibitionists. They are the ones who are behind this thing. The thing about these animals is that they don't stop. The fight to banish booze is not over with them. They're making strong headway on tobacco, (and it'll get worse) and the VERY NEXT thing these shits are going for is what they deem to be unhealthy food/drink. Look what has happened in San Francisco, California? Vending machines are no longer allowed to carry carbonated drinks, or even flavored water! Instead, it is being instructed that these machines carry crap like soy milk, and rice milk.

California's economy isn't bad enough already, right? Wisconsin's economy isn't bad enough already without Emperor Doyle gumming up the works even further, right?

I cannot tell any of you how infuriating this kind of stuff is to me. I can only keep typing...

I totally hear ya!

Minnesota enacted this a few years ago.  Folks adjust, though.

I quit a few years ago after smoking for 40 years and then having a stroke.  Smoking is for certain  NOT a good idea.

My guy still smokes though...........makes me cough.

Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2010, 11:11:29 PM »
Smoking is banned inside every workplace, within 15 feet of any entrance to a workplace, many public areas including some beaches and so on.

Smoking is bad for you - but it should still be the right of the owner of private property and business to dictate the terms of service on his/her property or in his/her own business - much as it's the right of any customer or employee to choose not work there if smoke concerns them.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2010, 01:00:50 AM »
As a non smoker, I think it's great that it's been outlawed out of restaurants.  I hate the smell of smoke and smokers.... :bolt:

Same here.

Nevada might reverse no smoking laws for taverns that sell food. Drinking & smoking go hand in hand most of the time and I already don't visit most of those places.

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2010, 04:16:10 PM »
Revolution:
Rev, I've already stated that I qualify as a smoking hater. See reply #59. I also explained the reasons why and I flat-out admit that my reasons are not just based in fact and personal experience with tobacco, but also have an emotional element with a family member (my mother) who smoked herself to death.

I've extremely sorry to hear about that, but like me, it was your mother's choice to smoke. I have had loved ones die because they smoked/drank as well. Hurts like hell, but it hasn't changed my stance that they have a right to do so whether anyone likes it or not. I do not allow my good sense to be clouded by disdain for a product.

However, this discussion isn't about 1st hand smoking per se. It's about 2nd hand smoke, and whether it has an effect/damages. So far, the science on it is nill, and you can go back to I think page 3 to check what needs to happen for something to be a proper scientific study.

Let me be clearer in one statement I made: Smokers are easy political targets. Is that a more accurate statement?

No Eupher, you were certainly accurate in your first statement. It just doesn't make it right.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2010, 04:37:47 PM »
I've extremely sorry to hear about that, but like me, it was your mother's choice to smoke. I have had loved ones die because they smoked/drank as well. Hurts like hell, but it hasn't changed my stance that they have a right to do so whether anyone likes it or not. I do not allow my good sense to be clouded by disdain for a product.

However, this discussion isn't about 1st hand smoking per se. It's about 2nd hand smoke, and whether it has an effect/damages. So far, the science on it is nill, and you can go back to I think page 3 to check what needs to happen for something to be a proper scientific study.

No Eupher, you were certainly accurate in your first statement. It just doesn't make it right.

Well, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree -- first, because your OP complained long and loud about how "rights" were being impugned. The SHS thing was an offshoot to that initial volley.

Secondly, please don't preach to me about what constitutes a "proper scientific study". I just don't believe you're in a position to know much about that -- if I'm wrong, please lay out your bonafides.

I'm betting on the very real and very public defeat that the tobacco companies suffered when juries awarded tens of millions of dollars in damages when the subject of SHS came up. You don't have to agree with that, you simply have to acknowledge that it occurred. You can say what you want about how the SHS data are "skewed", but those arguments apparently fell on deaf ears. I dare say that juries are given access to data that you and I may not even be permitted to read about.

Thanks for your sentiments regarding my mother. It happened about 10 years ago, so I've been through the grieving process.

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2010, 05:07:05 PM »
Well, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree -- first, because your OP complained long and loud about how "rights" were being impugned. The SHS thing was an offshoot to that initial volley.

The "meat" of the complaint was supposed to be based on the SHS stuff since it is the forefront of why the stripping of rights is taking place. The cause is SHS, and the effect is smoking being banned almost everywhere, basically. The day smoking is banned walking down the street is the day I exercise my civil protest rights daily.

Secondly, please don't preach to me about what constitutes a "proper scientific study". I just don't believe you're in a position to know much about that -- if I'm wrong, please lay out your bonafides.

I don't have any "bona fides" in terms of courses, credits, or degrees. I do however have eyes, and the tool of research. Both very powerful tools.

I'm betting on the very real and very public defeat that the tobacco companies suffered when juries awarded tens of millions of dollars in damages when the subject of SHS came up. You don't have to agree with that, you simply have to acknowledge that it occurred. You can say what you want about how the SHS data are "skewed", but those arguments apparently fell on deaf ears. I dare say that juries are given access to data that you and I may not even be permitted to read about.

Oh, I acknowledge that it occured, but I'd have loved to see every bit of evidence they had that merited "damages," which I doubt any of us will ever see. Reguardless, I question it.

Thanks for your sentiments regarding my mother. It happened about 10 years ago, so I've been through the grieving process.

Glad to hear it. ;)

Offline Zeus

« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2010, 10:12:09 AM »

Majority of the additives are govt mandated they add.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline unbiased

« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2010, 10:38:03 AM »
Ohio has had a smoking ban for a few years now.  Bars and bowling alleys have really been affected, especially on border cities like Cincinnati.  People just go over the river to KY.  Covington and Newport have been and still are exploding.

People who voted for this change said that the reason they didn't go to bars and bowling alleys was because of the smoke.  Guess what, they still aren't going.  What ever happened to just not going somewhere if you don't like the atmosphere?  I know a couple who quit going to Applebee's before the smoking ban because they didn't allow smoking.  It was a business decision by Applebee's and it should be left to the business.
Once you have wrestled, everything else in life is easy.