Author Topic: 9 charged in bullied girl's death  (Read 8649 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
9 charged in bullied girl's death
« on: March 29, 2010, 10:19:36 PM »
9 charged in bullied girl's death
Published: March. 29, 2010 at 4:57 PM
UPI

NORTHHAMPTON, Mass., March 29 (UPI) -- Nine youths were charged Monday in the death of a Massachusetts teenager said to have killed herself after being bullied mercilessly, authorities said.

Northwestern District Attorney Elizabeth Scheibel said the charges in the Jan. 14 death of Phoebe Prince of South Hadley ranged from statutory rape to civil rights violations to criminal harassment and disturbing a school assembly, The Boston Globe reported. The suspects included six teenagers ages 16-18 and three younger juveniles.

"Their conduct far exceeded the limits of normal teenage relationship-related quarrels,'' Scheibel said.

UPI-9 charged in bullied girl's death

==================================================================

The six teenagers charged include Sean Mulveyhill, 17, South Hadley; Austin Renaud, 18, Springfield; Kayla Narey, 17, South Hadley; Ashley Longe, 16, South Hadley; Flannery Mullins, 16, South Hadley; and Sharon Chanon Velazquez, 16, South Hadley; and three juvenile girls from South Hadley.

These thugs are sick and they are facing serious charges. Their parents raised a spoiled entitlement obsessed brat. They tormented Phoebe Prince in part because she was a dating a football player and these girls got jealous. From there they tormented her.

Here is what these thugs looks like.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:33:30 PM by Ptarmigan »
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: 9 charged in bullied girl's death
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 02:02:20 PM »
That is absolutely horrific. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 02:09:53 PM »
Does it seem strange to anyone else that they are releasing the names of the 17 year perps?

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 02:11:55 PM »
Does it seem strange to anyone else that they are releasing the names of the 17 year perps?

Very strange
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 02:16:37 PM »
They released the names of some of the 16 year olds too.  Could it be related to the severity of the crime? 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 02:22:02 PM »
They released the names of some of the 16 year olds too.  Could it be related to the severity of the crime? 

Or the color of those charged?

Offline bkg

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 02:37:01 PM »

you need the names when you're trying to make an example out of someone... and need that example to further enhance your agenda. Just sayin.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 02:42:56 PM »

It didn't even dawn on me. 

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 03:05:29 PM »
It didn't even dawn on me. 

Think about it. When juveniles are charged with some crime, about the only time their names and pictures are released is if they are white.  Recently , here there was a big fight at one of the schools, and the news blocked names and pictures even though several were 18.  Their names were available on several local message boards, along with descriptions.

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 03:31:30 PM »
It is still very sad that a child would chose sucide I feel awful for her family
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 07:49:09 PM »

All white kids.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 07:51:56 PM »
Just wondering.....does it really matter what color they are?  A young woman is dead, by her own hand, because she didn't think there was another option.  I haven't figured out how I feel about this new bully legislation, and that is a topic for another day.  But what I do know is that this poor child felt that she was tormented so, that she took her own life.  

I guess bullying has no socio-economic boundaries?  Well, hells bells, I could have told y'all that.  

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 07:52:54 PM »
Could it be because they are being charged as adults and not juvenile....Remember the DC sniper, his name was also released and they charged him as an adult.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 07:59:53 PM »
Didn't this girl have any friends that she confided in? Didn't anyone have a clue as to how bad it was for her?

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 08:01:24 PM »
Just wondering.....does it really matter what color they are?  A young woman is dead, by her own hand, because she didn't think there was another option.  I haven't figured out how I feel about this new bully legislation, and that is a topic for another day.  But what I do know is that this poor child felt that she was tormented so, that she took her own life.  

I guess bullying has no socio-economic boundaries?  Well, hells bells, I could have told y'all that.  

Let's put it this way--when the story first broke, there were media at the HS.  They interviewed a few students.  The "mean kids" then beat the crap out of those interviewed, IN FULL VIEW OF ADULTS.

These kids kept it up even after the poor girl was DEAD.

http://www.boston.com/community/moms/articles/2010/01/24/the_untouchable_mean_girls/

They had a dance, a cotillion, at the Log Cabin in Holyoke two days after Phoebe’s sister found her in the closet, and some who were there say one of the Mean Girls bragged about how she played dumb with the detectives who questioned her.

Last week, one of the Springfield TV stations sent a crew to South Hadley High to talk to the kids.

One girl was interviewed on camera, and she said what was common knowledge: that bullies were stalking the corridors of South Hadley High.

As soon as the TV crew was out of sight, one of the Mean Girls came up and slammed the girl who had been interviewed against a locker and punched her in the head.

It's a case of they had gotten away with so much, for so long, they thought they were untouchable--and given the ***** attitude of the school administration, they were right.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 08:01:55 PM »
Could it be because they are being charged as adults and not juvenile....Remember the DC sniper, his name was also released and they charged him as an adult.

Lee Boyd Malvo and he was 17 at the time. Also, Dylan Klebold was 17 when he and Eric Harris massacred 13 at Columbine High School.

School shooters have been named too, who were under the age of 16.
Mitchell Johnson 13 and Drew Golden 11
Kip Kinkel 15
Michael Carneal 15
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 08:07:13 PM by Ptarmigan »
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 08:02:01 PM »
Once you turn 16 in MA you are tried as an adult -- juvenile court is through age 15.  

Educators could have stopped the torture
By Margery Eagan  |   Tuesday, March 30, 2010  |  http://www.bostonherald.com  |  Columnists

Now we know: The adults knew, and did nothing.

They were particularly trusted adults as well: teachers, school administrators and staff trained and paid to care for children in a safe environment.

They did nothing.

How could this be?

It was sickening to realize this during yesterday’s 15-minute press conference by Northwestern District Attorney Elizabeth C. Scheibel: Educators at South Hadley High School could have stopped the torture of Phoebe Prince. They might even have saved her life. Yet they failed to act.

http://bostonherald.com/news/columnists/view.bg?articleid=1243309&format=text

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 08:04:07 PM »
Let's put it this way--when the story first broke, there were media at the HS.  They interviewed a few students.  The "mean kids" then beat the crap out of those interviewed, IN FULL VIEW OF ADULTS.

These kids kept it up even after the poor girl was DEAD.

http://www.boston.com/community/moms/articles/2010/01/24/the_untouchable_mean_girls/

It's a case of they had gotten away with so much, for so long, they thought they were untouchable--and given the ***** attitude of the school administration, they were right.

The school administrators and teaching staff who knew about it and did nothing should be tried also.  How the hell they are still employed is beyond me.   The school committe should fire their superintendent also.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 08:06:32 PM »
Didn't this girl have any friends that she confided in? Didn't anyone have a clue as to how bad it was for her?

Her mom and friends tried to help, however the school administration would do nothing.   This story is really tragic from beginning to end.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 08:08:08 PM »
The "not my kid" defense:

Suspect’s mother: ‘My daughter never fought with’ Phoebe Prince
By Laura Crimaldi   |   Tuesday, March 30, 2010  |  http://www.bostonherald.com  |  Local Coverage

The mother of one student charged in the Phoebe Prince case said her daughter comes from a home of “strong values” and, while suspended after a verbal exchange with the bullied girl a month before Prince’s suicide, never physically harmed her.

“She exchanged a couple of words with her,” said Angeles Chanon, refusing to specify what her daughter said in the confrontations. “My daughter never fought with her or said, ‘Go harm yourself,’ or ‘I hate you.’ ”

Sharon Chanon Velazquez, 16, cried when she learned she had been indicted in the case yesterday, charged as a youthful offender with stalking and violation of civil rights resulting in bodily injury.

“We have strong values, and I don’t like injustice, and injustice includes bullying or being racist,” the suspect’s mother said, adding that she grounded the teen in addition to the school suspension.

Chanon said her daughter informed her about the verbal dispute with Prince, 15.

“Phoebe was calling her names. They’re teenagers. They call names,” Chanon said. “She did not physically assault (her). I know she knows better than that. I wouldn’t accept that.”

Chanon said the day Prince died, her daughter pointed her out as they passed her in the car while Prince walked home.

http://bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1243311&format=text

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 08:08:30 PM »
The school administrators and teaching staff who knew about it and did nothing should be tried also.  How the hell they are still employed is beyond me.   The school committe should fire their superintendent also.

I agree the school administrator should be fired and prosecuted along with the thugs.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 08:09:51 PM »
The "not my kid" defense:

http://bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1243311&format=text

I am sure the parents of the 9/11 terrorists, Harrises/Klebolds, and Dahmers felt that way. They are in denial obviously.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 08:10:31 PM »
My daughter told me on the way home from school yesterday that a boy in her school committed suicide over the weekend.  She didn't know him and didn't know why he did it but she was very affected by it.  I came in my room after dinner last night, she was sitting on my bed bawling.  She said she didn't understand why she was so upset since she didn't even know him.  She asked me how someone could be that hopeless at her age to do something like that.  I gave her examples of why a kid could be so desperate but I also stressed that suicide is never the answer.  She is such a good hearted kid, I don't think she could take being bullied like this girl was.  I told her about the girl in this thread, I stressed that I wanted her to come to me if she was being bullied or so troubled that the thought of suicide ever crossed her mind.  I can't imagine what her parents went through after their daughter killed herself.  :(

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
For some reason, the prosecuter said the school would not be brought up on charges eventhough they had knowledge about the bullying...I don't understand that!  The failed to protect this teen.  I also heard she was the new girl...here from Ireland for only a semester.  

Sad story....bullying in schools is probably getting worse because of PC.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 08:11:51 PM »
Her mom and friends tried to help, however the school administration would do nothing.   This story is really tragic from beginning to end.

Oh geez.  Thanks to you and Sparky for the enlightenment.  I only heard a 2 minute bit on the radio, and I thought that was bad enough.  I would love to have a private meeting with those school officials.  The fact that something like this can happen here, speaks volumes for the PC-apathetic crap we are dealing with everywhere.  Prayers for Phoebe and her family.