Author Topic: Liberals politicizing tragedies for political gain  (Read 33477 times)

Offline AbsolutNickUSN

• The Liberal
  • The Fast and the Furry
Re: Liberals politicizing tragedies for political gain
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2010, 07:10:39 PM »
Then why did you vote for a man who does?

Who did I vote for?

Why are you a member of a political party that does?

So I can vote in their primary elections.
"As Mankind becomes more Liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and Liberality."     -George Washington

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2010, 07:10:56 PM »
This one is boring....bring back the crazy one
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline AbsolutNickUSN

• The Liberal
  • The Fast and the Furry
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2010, 07:12:12 PM »

Maybe you're not really a liberal.

Maybe you're just a ***** who is too scared of the moniker "conservative".

No I'm definitely a Liberal.

Perhaps a Liberal Conservative but I don't like to call myself a "Conservative" because it makes me feel old.
"As Mankind becomes more Liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and Liberality."     -George Washington

Offline AbsolutNickUSN

• The Liberal
  • The Fast and the Furry
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2010, 07:13:07 PM »
Uhmm...so does that equate to a position of the ends justifies the means?

Rather depends on the circumstances.

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2010, 07:14:47 PM »

Who did I vote for?

If you're a liberal and a dimocrat, you voted for the light skinned negro without a negro accent.
If you didn't they'll burn you at the stake at the next Huffington Post Convergence of the Planets convention.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2010, 07:17:39 PM »

Perhaps a Liberal Conservative but I don't like to call myself a "Conservative" because it makes me feel old.

Perhaps if you were to define "liberal conservative" briefly, it might save everybody a lot of typing........

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2010, 07:18:55 PM »

Rather depends on the circumstances.

Cute but enough of the dancing around words stuff.

What is your view of the role of government in this country?
Where do you stand on entitlements such as welfare?
Are you in favor of single payer,socialized healthcare?
Do you view capitalism as an evil?

Stand up for yourself and your beliefs and be prepared to debate them.

Offline AbsolutNickUSN

• The Liberal
  • The Fast and the Furry
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2010, 07:20:03 PM »
If you're a liberal and a dimocrat, you voted for the light skinned negro without a negro accent.
If you didn't they'll burn you at the stake at the next Huffington Post Convergence of the Planets convention.

Am I required to bring the matches?

Offline AbsolutNickUSN

• The Liberal
  • The Fast and the Furry
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2010, 07:27:11 PM »
Cute but enough of the dancing around words stuff.

Stand up for yourself and your beliefs and be prepared to debate them.

All I did was question an ill founded generalization.

oy

OK

Should be a help not a hindrance.  Should have some authority but limited authority.  I could go on but this is a rather long answer.

To be honest Reagan summed up my feelings on welfare:
“Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence.”

Yes and No.  

More of a pain in the ass reality of the world, better than the alternative in terms of maintaining a liberal society.

Offline AbsolutNickUSN

• The Liberal
  • The Fast and the Furry
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2010, 07:38:17 PM »
Perhaps if you were to define "liberal conservative" briefly, it might save everybody a lot of typing........

doc

I don't think that would help.  LOL

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2010, 07:44:05 PM »

doc
I'm content to keep poking it with a sharp stick.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2010, 07:50:18 PM »
I'm content to keep poking it with a sharp stick.

You DO realize that he's jerking your chain, er......floppy ears, right??

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline AbsolutNickUSN

• The Liberal
  • The Fast and the Furry
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2010, 07:57:39 PM »
You DO realize that he's jerking your chain, er......floppy ears, right??

doc

At this point only during the commercials.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2010, 07:59:08 PM »

All I did was question an ill founded generalization.

oy

OK

Should be a help not a hindrance.  Should have some authority but limited authority.  I could go on but this is a rather long answer.

To be honest Reagan summed up my feelings on welfare:
“Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence.”

Yes and No.  

More of a pain in the ass reality of the world, better than the alternative in terms of maintaining a liberal society.

First two I would agree with for the most part.

Single payer I would ask your exact position and extend that to the current legislation even though right now is not single payer.
What do you agree with regarding single payer and what do you disagree with?

If capitalism is a pain in the a$$ but the best there is then what would you propose different if doable and if not then why.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2010, 08:01:11 PM »
Oh com'n.  When people say "all" in a conversaion, they often mean "a significant amount."  Let's not nitpick, this board is informal and fun.  If you have to measure every word because someone's might pick it to death it'll get ridiculous real quick.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2010, 08:12:13 PM »

No I'm definitely a Liberal.

Who did I vote for?

I think y'all would be shocked at Nick's answer. I know, but I ain't tellin'...... :fuelfire:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 08:15:15 PM by Thor »
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline AbsolutNickUSN

• The Liberal
  • The Fast and the Furry
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2010, 08:15:44 PM »
First two I would agree with for the most part.

Single payer I would ask your exact position and extend that to the current legislation even though right now is not single payer.
What do you agree with regarding single payer and what do you disagree with?

I haven't even read the whole damn thing so I don't feel I should comment on it.

2 things come to mind.  #1 I'm not thrilled with the idea of the government spending more #2 I would like to see that all Americans have access to affordable health care.  Is "Obamacare" the way to achieve that?  I'm not currently convinced that it is.

If capitalism is a pain in the a$$ but the best there is then what would you propose different if doable and if not then why.

Nothing that isn't a fantasy.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2010, 08:23:40 PM »

I haven't even read the whole damn thing so I don't feel I should comment on it.

2 things come to mind.  #1 I'm not thrilled with the idea of the government spending more #2 I would like to see that all Americans have access to affordable health care.  Is "Obamacare" the way to achieve that?  I'm not currently convinced that it is.

Sounds reasonable to me......wouldn't be the way I'd answer those questions, but reasonable none the less.......what's the beef with the rest of you guys??

doc

Offline AbsolutNickUSN

• The Liberal
  • The Fast and the Furry
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2010, 08:26:10 PM »
I think y'all would be shocked at Nick's answer. I know, but I ain't tellin'...... :fuelfire:

Not sure you'd be believed.

Some seem to be of the misguided opinion that all Liberals are pot smokin, tree huggin,  tie dye t shirt wearin Obama worshipers regardless of the facts that prove otherwise.

oh well.

More fun for me.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2010, 08:32:11 PM »

What then is your beef with conservatism?

Offline AbsolutNickUSN

• The Liberal
  • The Fast and the Furry
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2010, 08:33:25 PM »
What then is your beef with conservatism?

I don't have a beef with conservatism.  I just don't agree with it on all issues.

Mostly social conservatism.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2010, 08:36:57 PM »

Some seem to be of the misguided opinion that all Liberals are pot smokin, tree huggin,  tie dye t shirt wearin Obama worshipers regardless of the facts that prove otherwise.

oh well.

More fun for me.

I suspect that many here are used to the screeching trolls that we generally get here that either commit "suicide by administrator", or are kept around like curiosities to play with on occasion........like 'ol Billy upthread....

Thor hasn't let us in on the secret, but I susbect that you may be "shinin us on" just a bit......I'll go along for the ride....

doc

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2010, 09:06:21 PM »

Thor hasn't let us in on the secret, but I susbect that you may be "shinin us on" just a bit......I'll go along for the ride....

doc

Doc, I assure you that Nick is not "shining y'all on". He claims to be a "Liberal" and I take him for his word on that issue. He does have many traditionally conservative values. I'd be apt to suggest that he's more an early 60s type Liberal vs a modern day progressive Liberal.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2010, 09:37:46 PM »
Doc, I assure you that Nick is not "shining y'all on". He claims to be a "Liberal" and I take him for his word on that issue. He does have many traditionally conservative values. I'd be apt to suggest that he's more an early 60s type Liberal vs a modern day progressive Liberal.

You sure you don't mean the 50's......as I recall (and I'm old enough to remember).....the 60's liberal crowd were the "summer of love" sex, drugs, and rock and roll. anti-war crowd (now all grown up as "progressives") that wouldn't be caught dead in a Navy uniform.......let alone in a (gasp) war zone........

I can buy a "Harry Truman" liberal......

doc
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 09:39:39 PM by TVDOC »

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2010, 09:46:26 PM »
I was thinking early 60s, kind of like a JFK liberal. 50s could work, too, I suppose........

If I recall, the sex, drugs and rock and roll crowd didn't really come to the forefront until sometime around 1966.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 09:48:07 PM by Thor »