Author Topic: December 21, 2012: The end of the world  (Read 26080 times)

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
Re: December 21, 2012: The end of the world
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2008, 09:32:10 AM »
So scientists never hoax data?  It happens all the time.  It isn't a conspiracy theory.  It is an actual known problem in the academic community.  It has been known to be a problem for decades.

You really don't know what you're talking about and I'm getting really sick of you and others maligning thousands of decent and hardworking Americans. Most scientists are decent and hardworking people who have the ability to make a lot of money in the private sector but choose to pursue science out of love for it.

Does fraud sometimes happen in science? Of course. Science, like any discipline, is vulnerable to fraud. Is fraud in science as widespread as you and others are making it out to be? Of course not.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 09:33:44 AM by The Night Owl »
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Lauri

« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2008, 09:36:57 AM »
i'm not sure which page it was on, but in this thread I asked "how many millions of years does your graph go back?"

if your graph is just a few decades, or even a hundred years... that is no model of what the earth has gone thru, as far as temperature change.

care to answer that now?

We don't need a temperature record going back millions of years to make accurate predictions about climate.

really? so a few hundred years is all the evidence you need to affirm that the world is headed for disaster?

you should watch the movie "Bobby" directed by Emilio Estevez. You'll love it. In it, he shows actual footage of Bobby Kennedy telling little elementary school kids in New York City that 'within ten years, we'll all be walking around with oxygen masks on cause we wont be able to breathe the air here"

so lets do the math.. he was killed in the late 60s and that would mean by the late 70s, we'd all be wearing masks?

not only did that NOT happen, our air quality in the US is actually better than it was during the 70s because of tighter regulations and cleaner gas that we burn in our cars.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2008, 09:38:13 AM »
oh and one more question for ya TNO ... would you be for the Weather Channel founder and his host of colleagues suing Al Gore?

I think at least 52 million people on our side would.  :popcorn:

I think it is a wonderful idea!  It could possibly bring all this hoax out into the light.  I wish many many lawsuits would be filed.  It would be great to see the perpetrators of this coordinated lie having to defend the indefensible in court.  It could set liberalism back about 100 years.

I actually think its a great idea as well... the American public should line up to be plaintiffs in the case against Al.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2008, 09:39:55 AM »
really? so a few hundred years is all the evidence you need to affirm that the world is headed for disaster?

You should probably try reading what I'm actually writing.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Lauri

« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2008, 09:44:54 AM »

you said, millions of years of data are not needed to know that the earth is warming.

tell ya what TNO, get back to us in a thousand years with a record of the earth's temperature. let us know if it got warmer or colder.

and we'll still be saying the same thing: over the course of the human lifespan, the earth does indeed change in climate and unless we made the first ice age and warming cycle, and all the millions of cycles after that, then most of us arent buying what youre trying to sell.

the American public is so over this hysteria. better try something else now.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2008, 09:46:19 AM »
oh and one more question for ya TNO ... would you be for the Weather Channel founder and his host of colleagues suing Al Gore?

I think it is a wonderful idea!  It could possibly bring all this hoax out into the light.  I wish many many lawsuits would be filed.  It would be great to see the perpetrators of this coordinated lie having to defend the indefensible in court.  It could set liberalism back about 100 years.

I actually think its a great idea as well... the American public should line up to be plaintiffs in the case against Al.

Al Gore is already considered a big joke by normal people.  It would be wonderful to have it confirmed in the media.  

Liberals like Gore and his weather spooks try to live as if the liberals are still the only ones with a megaphone.  There was a time when all normal people could do was talk among themselves on their little islands (homes, etc.).  All public information came from and through liberals.  That isn't the case anymore.  Thank God and the internet and AM radio.  Liberal lies no longer stand unchallenged.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2008, 09:47:32 AM »
So scientists never hoax data?  It happens all the time.  It isn't a conspiracy theory.  It is an actual known problem in the academic community.  It has been known to be a problem for decades.

You really don't know what you're talking about and I'm getting really sick of you and others maligning thousands of decent and hardworking Americans. Most scientists are decent and hardworking people who have the ability to make a lot of money in the private sector but choose to pursue science out of love for it.

Does fraud sometimes happen in science? Of course. Science, like any discipline, is vulnerable to fraud. Is fraud in science as widespread as you and others are making it out to be? Of course not.

i think the point you are missing here is that science, over our lifetimes, has been flat wrong on many, many theories they have introduced.

science is mostly about theory, not fact.

scientists in the middle ages thought the earth was flat... thought the sun revolved around us and we were the center of the universe.

i guess we have mostly proven them wrong now, havent we?

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2008, 09:48:04 AM »
you said, millions of years of data are not needed to know that the earth is warming.

Correct. What I wrote is that we don't need millions of years of data to make accurate prediction about climate. What I did not write and what you suggested I wrote is that the world is headed for disaster.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Lauri

« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2008, 09:49:21 AM »

Al Gore is already considered a big joke by normal people.  It would be wonderful to have it confirmed in the media.  

Liberals like Gore and his weather spooks try to live as if the liberals are still the only ones with a megaphone.  There was a time when all normal people could do was talk among themselves on their little islands (homes, etc.).  All public information came from and through liberals.  That isn't the case anymore.  Thank God and the internet and AM radio.  Liberal lies no longer stand unchallenged.

I'm sure someone has already fast blasted this article to Rush, but in case they haven't I shall do so..

I think we could actually start a public movement against these guys with talk radio at the helm.  :-)

Offline Lauri

« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2008, 09:50:23 AM »

Correct. What I wrote is that we don't need millions of years of data to make accurate prediction about climate. What I did not write and what you suggested I wrote is that the world is headed for disaster.

i will have to check my posts, but i dont believe i talked about 'disaster' ...

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2008, 09:52:06 AM »
scientists in the middle ages thought the earth was flat... thought the sun revolved around us and we were the center of the universe.

i guess we have mostly proven them wrong now, havent we?

The belief that the Earth is flat was popular during a time long before the advent of the scientific method. Comparing modern science to superstitious beliefs of the past is absurd.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 09:54:06 AM by The Night Owl »
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2008, 09:53:05 AM »
i will have to check my posts, but i dont believe i talked about 'disaster' ...

See post #77.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2008, 01:31:01 PM »
No, but they have argued that it would bring about Global Warming(TM).  So, where the hell is it?

Global warming is here...

Global warming does not mean all warm weather all the time.

Sooo....ummmm....errrrr well that sorta almost could be data for 1000 years....uhhhh what about the other 4 billion years of data, where's it at?? Seems to me 1000 years is a ticks fart in a hurricane.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2008, 01:33:53 PM »

well, for what it's worth, it takes a lot to destroy the world.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2008, 01:39:20 PM »
i'm not sure which page it was on, but in this thread I asked "how many millions of years does your graph go back?"

if your graph is just a few decades, or even a hundred years... that is no model of what the earth has gone thru, as far as temperature change.

care to answer that now?

We don't need a temperature record going back millions of years to make accurate predictions about climate.

Predictions = SWAG when taking an extremely brief, very narrow snapshot (100 years of real data) and extrapolating it out to cover the next billions of years.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2008, 01:41:10 PM »

Why? You never read what any of several dozen people write back.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2008, 01:43:26 PM »

I think the reason Algore Jr. believes the world is going to end is because, well first I think he suffers from marijuana-based psychosis from all those years smoking weed on Daddy's couch, but the trigger was the end of his political career which was for him the end of his personal world, especially after he ruined any chance of running again by throwing a hissy fit, and he just projects that out onto the world along with his misanthropy for being rejected.

Hence, human beings, especially Americans, especially George W. Bush, are responsible for the coming end of the world.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2008, 01:45:29 PM »

I think the reason Algore Jr. believes the world is going to end is because, well first I think he suffers from marijuana-based psychosis from all those years smoking weed on Daddy's couch, but the trigger was the end of his political career which was for him the end of his personal world, especially after he ruined any chance of running again by throwing a hissy fit, and he just projects that out onto the world along with his misanthropy for being rejected.

Hence, human beings, especially Americans, especially George W. Bush, are responsible for the coming end of the world.

did you even follow that link? :-)

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2008, 01:52:35 PM »

I did.  It reads eerily similar to my senior science thesis.  I may sue.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2008, 02:05:28 PM »
Sooo....ummmm....errrrr well that sorta almost could be data for 1000 years....uhhhh what about the other 4 billion years of data, where's it at?? Seems to me 1000 years is a ticks fart in a hurricane.

Feel free to point out any scientific basis for the argument that a temperature record of 1000 years does not provide enough data for scientists to create climate reconstructions.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2008, 02:07:42 PM »

Feel free to point out any scientific basis for the argument that a temperature record of 1000 years does not provide enough data for scientists to create climate reconstructions.

Feel free to engage some common sense and see that looking through a peephole at the rump of an elephant 2 feet away doesn't show you what the whole thing looks like.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2008, 02:25:08 PM »

Yes, actually I started replying and I fat-fingered something and lost my train of thought which led to my closing thoughts on Algore.  So, like there's a missing reel there.  The Management apologizes for the inconvenience  :-)
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Lauri

« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2008, 02:44:46 PM »
TNO,

I think you need to go get some friends or something.. your Global Warming Because of Humanity escapades are just falling short here.

Unless you care to tell the class, what caused it to warm up after the first ice age?  :popcorn:

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2008, 04:48:15 PM »
Feel free to engage some common sense and see that looking through a peephole at the rump of an elephant 2 feet away doesn't show you what the whole thing looks like.

So far, climate models are drawing a pretty decent picture of the elephant...

http://www.grida.no/climate/ipcc_tar/wg1/figspm-4.htm
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2008, 05:35:04 PM »

So far, climate models are drawing a pretty decent picture of the elephant...

http://www.grida.no/climate/ipcc_tar/wg1/figspm-4.htm

What part of Models based on bunk, made up data does not a climate crisis make doesn't sink in? Theory, dreams and desires can NOT predict something you can not know. You're taking a glimpse of gray & a wrinkle and doing a Chicken Little