Author Topic: December 21, 2012: The end of the world  (Read 26049 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
December 21, 2012: The end of the world
« on: March 02, 2008, 10:25:33 PM »

the mayans say so, and so does the planetary alignment wing of the comet watching crowd.  and the magnetic poles will flip, and dogs and cats will live together, and the seahawks will win a superbowl.

seriously, this is a good bit more interesting than I made it out to be. :-)

December 21, 2012

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: December 21, 2012: The end of the world
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 10:49:57 PM »
Saw a re-run of a special on History or Discovery Channel tonight on it.  Have to say a lot of it like the I Ching thing seemed to be like the Bible Code thing where you could set it up to come out any way you wanted to; the whole web-bot part of it was pretty interesting but also appeared to be quite a stretch to call it prophetic, it looked a lot more like a model with an increasing gyration in predictive outcome caused by internal feedback errors.  Also kind of a reach on the Sybelline prophecy thing, given how the very word 'oracular' means important-sounding pronouncement that are so veiled in obtuseness as to be useless in application.
The Mayas may have been great astronomers but their ability to predict anything else that might have been of use to them, like protracted drought or the outcome of their internecine wars, seems to have been somewhere in the negative number range.
On the other hand, it will be intersting to see if there is any connection with the 'Pioneer anomaly' thing and this galactic alignment thing, I guess if so it would mean the anomaly would increase as the 2012 winter solstice approaches.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 11:07:56 PM »
OH NO!!!!!

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 11:26:48 PM »
I am just giddy with anticipation at the thought of finally being able to stock my underground greenhouses with unarmed liberal serfs when it all drops in the pot.

Gonna sip me some mint julips on the porch with a shotgun on my lap and watch them rascals grow my turnups.

Every now and then I might smile and shout out a question about how President Barack is working out for them.

Ahh... Gonna be good times.  ;)

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 12:53:04 AM »
In 2011 look for Art Bell to do radio spots for store able food.  :lmao:
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 09:35:31 AM »

did you hear last nights show? something about how some country is damming up water and its making the earth wobble right now?  :popcorn:

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 10:15:35 AM »

did you hear last nights show? something about how some country is damming up water and its making the earth wobble right now?  :popcorn:

Is that what I've been feeling?  I thought my knees were acting up again. 

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 10:30:25 AM »

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 10:40:04 AM »
The real fun begins after 2012 when all the doomsday believers have to come up with excuses to explain why doomsday did not come.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 11:19:20 AM »

I havent caught Coast to Coast in years maybe I should start tuning in again  :rotf:
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 11:20:55 AM »
The real fun begins after 2012 when all the doomsday believers have to come up with excuses to explain why doomsday did not come.

Won't we all be dead by then from Global warming Climate change?  :whatever:

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 11:31:58 AM »
Won't we all be dead by then from Global warming Climate change?  :whatever:

Don't ask me. I haven't argued that global warming will bring about doomsday.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Lauri

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 11:43:32 AM »

Is that what I've been feeling?  I thought my knees were acting up again. 

i should find the link ... its really enlightening, but as WE has already stated, the earth is over in 2012, so no worries.

although, i think the mayan dude who was writing the calendar way back when, just got tired of writing and wandered off and got eaten by a wooly mamoth or something..

Offline Lauri

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 11:44:43 AM »

I havent caught Coast to Coast in years maybe I should start tuning in again  :rotf:

my husband says, 'its like reading the Bat Boy papers every evening...'   i think it just makes him feel nice and normal.  :-)

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 11:58:55 AM »
There have been doomsday cults from time immemorial.  The latest is the Global Warming(TM) religion.  History shows that usually when the end of the world fails to happen, some of the followers drop off but the cult leader usually recalculates and comes up with a reason why they screwed up the end of the world calculation the first time and then it fails to happen again.

Usually thereafter, the cult continues in a diminished manner until the death of the cult leader.

Like every year that Global Warming(TM) fails to manifest or is only the result of an el Nino, we hear how cold weather is the result of Global Warming(TM) or "weather is different from climate" or any other manner of excuse.  When there is a particularly cold winter, the GW(TM) believers fall silent until the first 80 degree day in July and they start up their preaching again.

The funny part with the Global Warming(TM) cult is when someone takes a boat for a cruise through the Arctic Circle because they believe Global Warming(TM) has opened up a passage and then they get stuck in the ice!  Or eco-wacktovists plan a hike in the Arctic Circle believing all the made-up hype in the press about dying polar bears and have to cancel because  it's too cold.

Yet, they continue to believe until the only excuse they can come up with is "The Oil Companies did it!"

I don't expect much more from the 2012 believers.  I survived the 1982 Jupiter Effect.  The 1999 Nostradamus prophecy.  And the 5/5/05 earth tipping disaster.  Not to mention Global Warming(TM) and numerous near-misses with space planetoids.  Living such a charmed life, I do believe as long as I am alive on 12/21/2012 the world will continue.  I am very lucky that way.

I can survive end of the worlds better than Barack Insane Obama can survive his middle name.  

Oh, I almost forgot, I also survived the launch of Cassini!  Truly I am a great benefit for the earth and all those who dwell here.  And I don't even get paid any extra.  Oh and the 8/8/88 falling into the sea of California.  I am bullet-proof when it comes to end of the worlds!
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 12:11:04 PM »

I remember my next door neighbor, a Jehova's Witness, getting married in the 70's.  She was giving her wedding gown and similar assorted stuff to charity. When my Mom asked "don't you want to save that for your daughter someday?"  the neighbor replied "the world will end in 1984 so it doesn't matter."

I have no idea what she said in 1985, much less what she told her daughter (which I know she had).

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 12:20:22 PM »
There have been doomsday cults from time immemorial.  The latest is the Global Warming(TM) religion.  History shows that usually when the end of the world fails to happen, some of the followers drop off but the cult leader usually recalculates and comes up with a reason why they screwed up the end of the world calculation the first time and then it fails to happen again.

You have been misinformed. Scientists have not argued that Global Warming will bring about doomsday.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 12:22:28 PM »

I remember my next door neighbor, a Jehova's Witness, getting married in the 70's.  She was giving her wedding gown and similar assorted stuff to charity. When my Mom asked "don't you want to save that for your daughter someday?"  the neighbor replied "the world will end in 1984 so it doesn't matter."

I have no idea what she said in 1985, much less what she told her daughter (which I know she had).

how about, "I want my f*cking wedding dress back"? :-)

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 12:25:41 PM »

You have been misinformed. Scientists have not argued that Global Warming will bring about doomsday.
Yes, everyone is misinformed about everything, except you.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 12:41:05 PM »

No, but they have argued that it would bring about Global Warming(TM).  So, where the hell is it?

This is what the 2012 believers will do, some of them.  They will say, "you are misinformed, we never said it would bring about doomsday, even if they have.  And don't forget, divinity school dropout Algore Jr., has argued it would be catastrophic.  Now he may not be a scientist per se, but he is a Global Warming(TM) cult leader.  And he's the one the Media listen to.  Unless your non-doomsday Global Warming(TM) believing scientists get out in front of the microphone and say it is no big deal, they are complicit in the cult.  They provide divinity school dropout Algore Jr. with a basis for his cult.

Divinity school dropout, or was it failure, I forget not, Algore Jr. also argued in his Magnum Opus Earth in the Balance that the media should lie about the severity of Global Warming(TM) because it is such a serious cult.  He said the other side of the argument shouldn't be presented.

That's what cult leaders do.  They isolate and attempt to control what information their cult members get.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 12:44:10 PM »
No, but they have argued that it would bring about Global Warming(TM).  So, where the hell is it?

Global warming is here...

Global warming does not mean all warm weather all the time.

Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2008, 12:50:13 PM »

OMG! A chart!  How could one ever argue against the power of a chart! :whatever:

Well, the mayans have their calendar that proves the end of the world too.

There you go.  Proof that the World of the Fourth Sun will end on 12/21/2012.

― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Lauri

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008, 01:08:39 PM »

I was listening to a scientist on Glenn Beck today stating that they have no computer models which give them accurate weather conditions *right now* nor do they have computer models or ways to know what weather will be like 50 years from now. He said the past 9 years had been unbelievably stable, weather wise, as compared to decades before.

To that end, try this little experiment. Find your local weather page and check it every few hours. Watch how it changes. Our local news station has already changed the icons on their weather page over four times this morning alone. I am watching it more today cause my husband is flying out at noon, so I'm curious. Over the weekend they were forecasting sun for today and tommorow. Now its raining (outside and on their website) ...

Our climate is constantly changing and for either side to say they have the specifics down right now is just absurd. I agree that nobody should be trashing the planet but as of 2008, we put very clean gas in our cars, use less coal as a country and are forced to recycle pretty much everywhere. Americans are doing their part with forced regulations in every industry. But you might want to check in on China and Mexico and see how many regulations they are breaking every day. It might actually be a better use of everyone's time.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 01:21:16 PM »
I was listening to a scientist on Glenn Beck today...

Listening the Glenn Beck show was your first mistake.  :-)

...stating that they have no computer models which give them accurate weather conditions *right now* nor do they have computer models or ways to know what weather will be like 50 years from now. He said the past 9 years had been unbelievably stable, weather wise, as compared to decades before.

To that end, try this little experiment. Find your local weather page and check it every few hours. Watch how it changes. Our local news station has already changed the icons on their weather page over four times this morning alone. I am watching it more today cause my husband is flying out at noon, so I'm curious. Over the weekend they were forecasting sun for today and tommorow. Now its raining (outside and on their website) ...

Your second mistake is assuming that climate and weather are the same thing. As I have pointed out many times, weather and climate are not the same thing. Weather is much more chaotic than climate and as such is much more difficult to predict than climate. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 01:25:25 PM by The Night Owl »
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 01:35:43 PM »
I was listening to a scientist on Glenn Beck today...

Listening the Glenn Beck show was your first mistake.  :-)

...stating that they have no computer models which give them accurate weather conditions *right now* nor do they have computer models or ways to know what weather will be like 50 years from now. He said the past 9 years had been unbelievably stable, weather wise, as compared to decades before.

Your second mistake is assuming that climate and weather are the same thing. As I have pointed out many times, weather and climate are not the same thing. Weather is much more chaotic than climate and as such is much more difficult to predict than climate. 
Climate is especially easy to predict if you use cooked numbers and make predictions out past where you will be alive to see them come true.

The Mayan at least got right the alignment of the earth-sun-galactic center.  And they didn't have to rely on subertfuge and cooked data.

The Mayan were in every way superior to the modern day Global Warming(TM) alarmists.
― Homer, The Odyssey