Author Topic: Need some RAM  (Read 3373 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Need some RAM
« on: June 23, 2010, 04:19:11 PM »
Is there anybody out there willing to part with some PC2100 RAM?? I need two- 1GB sticks at a minimum. The board MIGHT be able to use some PC2700, but nothing faster than that. I already tried some RAM that would down-clock. It didn't work very well as I got tons of BSODs. I can afford a little money, if  someone isn't asking too much.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: Need some RAM
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 11:13:30 AM »
I have some 512's but no gigs. Your buss wont handle 400mhz PC3200? Theres some 2100 1 gigs on New Egg for $37.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141172
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 12:31:28 PM »
No, it won't handle anything over pc2700, I'm pretty sure. I bought some pC3200 from Sams and the bios saw it, but it caused BSODs out the ass. Fortunately, I was able to use that on another motherboard. Right now, I have 3- 256Meg chips in it and am running W7. I've looked at buying some from pricewatch, but those are the 3200 that's supposed to downclock. My funds are pretty much spoken for at the moment. If you care to PM me about how much you would want for the 512 MB chips and how many you have to get rid of, we can discuss it there.

For the record, I'm impressed as to how well W7 runs on less than 1GB of RAM.......
Intel P4 2.4GHz Processor, 20 GB hard drive  :o  768 MB RAM, Shuttle AV42 motherboard..... go figure.... The 120 GB Hard drive that was in there arbitrarily fried itself and even with DBAN, wasn't salvageable :clueless:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 04:18:19 PM »
Lemme look at the RAM I have. If I remember correctly it's mis-matched and is PC 2100. Hell, I'll probably just send it to you, I've got no need for it.

Can you change the buss HZ? (in BIOS) Just a thought.

I LOVE Win 7 (I have ultimate) BTW.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 06:02:53 PM »
Lemme look at the RAM I have. If I remember correctly it's mis-matched and is PC 2100. Hell, I'll probably just send it to you, I've got no need for it.

Can you change the buss HZ? (in BIOS) Just a thought.

I LOVE Win 7 (I have ultimate) BTW.

No, the bus speed is set won't go any higher than where I have it set.  What do you mean by "mis-matched"??

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 02:46:37 PM »
No, the bus speed is set won't go any higher than where I have it set.  What do you mean by "mis-matched"??

Different makers. I haven't had a chance to look yet, I'll try to dig it out tonight.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 03:19:30 PM »
Different makers. I haven't had a chance to look yet, I'll try to dig it out tonight.

I was hoping that's what you meant and not the ECC and Non-ECC "mismatched" term. Thanks for the clarification. :)

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 10:18:49 AM »
I've been looking around the garage but haven't found it yet. I'm going to dig deeper this week end. I'll be gone next week, so it'll be the Monday after next before I'll be on again after fri.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 12:17:07 PM »
I've been looking around the garage but haven't found it yet. I'm going to dig deeper this week end. I'll be gone next week, so it'll be the Monday after next before I'll be on again after fri.

Don't worry about it. I've decided that I'm going to find a different & new motherboard, swap out the processor and buy new RAM. That way I eliminate what's probably the problem instead of step by step troubleshooting. It's a Shuttle motherboard, so that could be the most likely problem.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 10:15:50 AM »
It's a Shuttle motherboard

:thatsright: