Current Events > General Discussion

Do you copy music on to your hard drive?

(1/4) > >>

Freeper:
Better think again before doing so.

--- Quote ---Now, in an unusual case in which an Arizona recipient of an RIAA letter has fought back in court rather than write a check to avoid hefty legal fees, the industry is taking its argument against music sharing one step further: In legal documents in its federal case against Jeffrey Howell, a Scottsdale, Ariz., man who kept a collection of about 2,000 music recordings on his personal computer, the industry maintains that it is illegal for someone who has legally purchased a CD to transfer that music into his computer.

--- End quote ---

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/28/AR2007122800693.html

Looks like all you IPOD and Zune users could be in trouble.

wasp69:

--- Quote from: Freeper on December 31, 2007, 08:16:16 AM ---Better think again before doing so.

--- Quote ---Now, in an unusual case in which an Arizona recipient of an RIAA letter has fought back in court rather than write a check to avoid hefty legal fees, the industry is taking its argument against music sharing one step further: In legal documents in its federal case against Jeffrey Howell, a Scottsdale, Ariz., man who kept a collection of about 2,000 music recordings on his personal computer, the industry maintains that it is illegal for someone who has legally purchased a CD to transfer that music into his computer.

--- End quote ---

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/28/AR2007122800693.html

--- End quote ---

I don't see where they have a hope in hell of making that stick.  They tried the same thing with Cassette tape recorders and VCR's back in the early 80's and got no where with it.  Still, it'll be interesting to see the lengths that the RIAA will go to in order to ruin themselves.

jtyangel:

--- Quote from: Freeper on December 31, 2007, 08:16:16 AM ---Better think again before doing so.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
so they intend to scrape every bit of money they can--even on different formats? I still say the RIAA continues to pursue this because their hide is chapped when their refusal to implement new technology hurt their industry. If they had been at the forefront, which I am to understand was offered to the 'record' companies, they may have stemmed the tide of this and had more control over downloading situations. What a bunch of goobers and where are the libs to decry their 'greediness'.  ;)

Freeper:

--- Quote from: wasp69 on December 31, 2007, 08:39:43 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I don't see where they have a hope in hell of making that stick.  They tried the same thing with Cassette tape recorders and VCR's back in the early 80's and got no where with it.  Still, it'll be interesting to see the lengths that the RIAA will go to in order to ruin themselves.

--- End quote ---

One difference between sharing files on a computer and taping a friend's LP they can track you when you download or upload songs.

Hopefully the courts will tell the RIAA they are full of shit because if you do not distribute the recordings you can do what you please with them.

Thor:
I ALWAYS copy my purchased CDs to my hard drive. This enables me to have a back up in case the CD gets scratched or otherwise unusable. It also enables me to create my own mixes of music on a CD. How many commercial CDs from one artist are jammed with "filler"?? They did the same with LPs and cassettes. I DO try to find "The Best of......" CDs. Even then, I may not feel like listening to that artist for an entire hour.

I also feel that once a person owns that CD or DVD, they should be able to do with it what they want as long as they aren't doing the file sharing thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version