Author Topic: ‘It’s Real Ugly’: Protesters Clash With Minneapolis Police After George Floyd’s  (Read 5483 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Chauvin is charged with 2nd degree unintentional murder and 2nd degree manslaughter. An additional charge of 3rd degree murder was dropped by the judge last October.

What I completely fail to understand is, given Floyd's autopsy report (completely wigged out on Fentanyl and a host of other drugs and the cause of death identified as cardiac arrest, NOT strangulation or asphyxiation), why is he being charged with anything, other than dereliction of duty, failing to respond to the perp's claim that he couldn't breathe for 8 minutes, and otherwise being a turd?

I'll answer my own question -- this is politics, pure and simple. This isn't justice. It's politics.

And Minneapolis and the surrounding areas are gonna get trashed regardless.

Why not a change of venue to say, Nome, Alaska? Not much there to trash. A couple of igloos and a shack made out of walrus tusks maybe.  :whistling:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
My problem with Chauvin's actions is: You can tell when someone becomes unconscious. Earlier combativeness notwithstanding, once they are unconscious maintaining a patent airway is necessary. That's basic, CPR-level first aid in which all LEOs are trained.

Once Chauvin knew Floyd was unconscious he should have gotten-up, rolled Floyd onto his back, and tilted his head back. he could have still maintained positive control of his prisoner.

"But Floyd was an amped-up, wife-beating piece of shit!" I hear some of you say.

I don't ****ing care.

I believe the authorities have an obligation to provide for the safety and well-being of people detained under their power. It doesn't matter if that person is a piece of shit like George Floyd. The protections under the Constitution and elsewhere aren't for the benefit of pieces of shit, they're to protect the innocent whom the government routinely victimizes during the evolutions of the criminal justice system. If we don't demand proper conduct during the government's interactions with pieces of shit they won't develop the muscle memory to properly conduct themselves when they interact with the innocent.

Ashley Babbitt - say her name.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
My problem with Chauvin's actions is: You can tell when someone becomes unconscious. Earlier combativeness notwithstanding, once they are unconscious maintaining a patent airway is necessary. That's basic, CPR-level first aid in which all LEOs are trained.

Once Chauvin knew Floyd was unconscious he should have gotten-up, rolled Floyd onto his back, and tilted his head back. he could have still maintained positive control of his prisoner.

"But Floyd was an amped-up, wife-beating piece of shit!" I hear some of you say.

I don't ****ing care.

I believe the authorities have an obligation to provide for the safety and well-being of people detained under their power. It doesn't matter if that person is a piece of shit like George Floyd. The protections under the Constitution and elsewhere aren't for the benefit of pieces of shit, they're to protect the innocent whom the government routinely victimizes during the evolutions of the criminal justice system. If we don't demand proper conduct during the government's interactions with pieces of shit they won't develop the muscle memory to properly conduct themselves when they interact with the innocent.

Ashley Babbitt - say her name.

Lest I sound like I'm defending Chauvin (I'm not -- his record as a cop is spotty at best, with him having been disciplined in his past for overreaching, overbearing interactions with the public), but.

How many cops have been sandbagged by a perp who wasn't secured, yet had gone lax? The cop lightens up and the perp explodes again.

I haven't looked at the situation enough to understand why it took Chauvin and his two cop buddies more than 8 minutes to restrain Floyd. Amped up? You're damned right Floyd was amped up. Adrenalin definitely pumping there.

Add that to the fact that every decision, every movement, every single solitary factor involving Chauvin and his buddy cops will be microanalyzed by armchair quarterbacks (they're called lawyers). The prosecution is going to paint Chauvin and his buddies in exactly the same fashion, if not worse, than the media have painted them over the past 7-8 months now.

I submit there is no ****ing way in hell he's going to get a fair trial. Not there, not anywhere -- save perhaps Nome, Alaska, where the people there are doing their best to keep from freezing to death.

• Global Moderator
Lest I sound like I'm defending Chauvin (I'm not -- his record as a cop is spotty at best, with him having been disciplined in his past for overreaching, overbearing interactions with the public), but.

How many cops have been sandbagged by a perp who wasn't secured, yet had gone lax? The cop lightens up and the perp explodes again.

A fair question, but Floyd was handcuffed with his hands behind his back. He wasn't going to explode very much, even if he wanted to do so.

But the rules we demand are the rules we must be willing to have imposed upon us. If we say, "Yeah, but that guy can be treated that way" then we will have no viable complaint when we are treated that way.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
A fair question, but Floyd was handcuffed with his hands behind his back.

One PBS report says that Chauvin had his knee on Floyd's neck for 8 minutes 46 seconds. Three plus minutes of that time was spent with knee on the neck after Floyd stopping moving and talking.

There was some back-and-forth between the cops during this time, questioning the procedure they were using to restrain Floyd. Chauvin appeared to be the cop calling the shots.

I was not aware till now that Floyd had been in handcuffs, even before he was dragged out of the car and put on the ground, face down. That was the part I was missing.

I will concede that Chauvin needs to answer for his actions and I absolutely do not contest your point about "the rules." Chauvin needs to answer for his actions, though I will say again Floyd's autopsy report does not indicate that Chauvin killed him, despite the charges. At least, the autopsy report that I read at the time.

Given the political goat**** this entire thing has been, it's entirely possible that the ME walked his report back to show something else. It wouldn't surprise me in the least.

According to "the rules," the defendant may not be able to receive a fair trial by a jury of his peers in Minneapolis. Don't be surprised to see a change of venue request, unless that's already been denied. Not gonna look that one up.

• Global Moderator
Wanna hear something really disturbing?

Mega-Blue Minneapolis PD still allows constriction techniques. I can see their utility, but Florida banned them back in the 80s after a couple of people died during arrest (also resulting in riots). The problem with constriction techniques is the arrestee may have underlying medical issues that make them susceptible to - you know - dying.

Floyd was just such a person.

Between Floyd's poor, personal choices, outdated policy, and a blasé attitude at the scene, it was the perfect storm to be exploited by the Left.

Offline thundley4

The problem with constriction techniques is the arrestee may have underlying medical issues that make them susceptible to - you know - dying.

The same happens with tasers sometimes, other times the taser is ineffective and puts the cops in danger.

• Global Moderator
The same happens with tasers sometimes, other times the taser is ineffective and puts the cops in danger.

Tasers seem to have a high failure rate. However, their underlying virtue is: it's a set of variables outside of the officer's control. It's a mechanical device calibrated by someone else, and other factors such as clothing and intoxication are determined by the arrestee.

Kneeling on someone's neck and when to restore unrestricted airway is wholly the discretion (read: liability) of the officers.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Third degree murder charge reinstated.

Third-degree murder requires prosecutors to prove that someone caused the death of another "by perpetuating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life." Legal experts note that the definition of "depraved mind" is murky— as is the legal line between "depraved mind" and the "culpable negligence" standard for manslaughter.

https://www.startribune.com/derek-chauvin-charges-trial-george-floyd-murder-manslaughter-police-minneapolis-minnesota/600030691/?utm_source=join1440&utm_medium=email

• Global Moderator
Third degree murder charge reinstated.

https://www.startribune.com/derek-chauvin-charges-trial-george-floyd-murder-manslaughter-police-minneapolis-minnesota/600030691/?utm_source=join1440&utm_medium=email

The "depraved mind" standard at this point may as well be the "public emotion" standard.

I would definitely go for culpable negligience.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
The thot just got plicker. This development just may result in Chauvin's presumption of innocence and acquittal. (Note that the presumption of innocence disappeared a helluva long time ago.)

https://redstate.com/shipwreckedcrew/2021/03/13/payout-of-27-million-to-family-of-george-floyd-could-derail-criminal-case-against-officer-derek-chauvin-n342875?utm_source=rsafternoonbriefing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl&bcid=54b311e9e985a52310aeaad8e21af0fc

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
In addition to the comment above regarding the link posted above, I note with interest that Judge Cahill had addressed the defense's motion for CHANGE IN VENUE back in November. He TEMPORARILY denied it then, but part of this "settlement" may force him to revisit the idea.

Nome, Alaska, anybody? Hell, it's springtime up there! No problem, right?  :cheersmate:

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
BREAKING: Prosecutorial Error With State's Last Witness Creates Grounds for Possible Mistrial in Chauvin Trial
https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2021/04/15/immunity-for-running-down-rioters-moves-forward-in-oklahoma-n383420

Earlier today, the defense rested in the murder trial of former Minneapolis Police Officer Derek Chauvin, charged in connection with the in-custody death of George Floyd.

Chauvin waived his right to testify on his own behalf, asserting his Fifth Amendment right to remain silent during the course of the trial.  That was not a surprising development.

But what came next was quite surprising, and potentially a critical moment in the case for the prosecution.

The prosecution advised the Court that it would have one rebuttal witness.  A rebuttal witness can be called to present testimony in response to evidence heard for the first time during the defense case.  As is very common, the rebuttal testimony would come from one expert witness who previously testified, Dr. Martin Tobin, and the testimony would be in response to testimony given by a defense expert.

But the surprising part of the prosecution’s announcement was that it intended to have Dr. Tobin testify about newly discovered evidence — a Hennepin County Medical Examiner report on the level of carbon monoxide (CO) in the blood gas testing of arterial blood drawn from Floyd at the hospital.

Mistrial possible?
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline thundley4

They want Chauvin to walk. They want more riots.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Minnesota National Guard says members sustained minor injuries in Sunday morning drive-by shooting in Minneapolis
https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-national-guard-says-members-sustained-minor-injuries-in-sunday-morning-drive-by-shooting-i/600047408/

A Minnesota National Guard neighborhood security team says it was fired upon in a drive-by shooting early Sunday morning, with two guard members sustaining minor injuries.

The shooting occurred shortly before 4:20 a.m. in the Jordan neighborhood near the intersection of Penn Avenue and Broadway in northwest Minneapolis. According to a statement from the guard, a light-colored SUV fired several shots at a Minnesota Operation Safety Net team. Operation Safety Net is a joint effort among the Minneapolis Police Department, Hennepin County Sheriff's Office, the State of Minnesota and local jurisdictions.

An already volatile situation.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
BREAKING: Judge in Chauvin trial says Maxine Waters' comments 'may result in this whole trial being overturned'
https://thepostmillennial.com/breaking-judge-in-chauvin-trial-addresses-maxine-waters-comments-says-it-may-result-in-this-whole-trial-being-overturned

Closing arguments were heard today in the trial of Derek Chauvin, who is the former officer accused of killing George Floyd in Minneapolis, Minn. on May 25 of last year.

In that closing, the attorneys for the defense brought up their concerns that Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA) had threatened the jury publicly when she made a series of comments calling on protesters to "stay on the street" and to "get more confrontational" if Chauvin is found guilty of manslaughter alone.

Defense attorneys said that there would be no way for jurors to have avoided hearing her statements, as the media has been covering this trial in every aspect. The attorney said he didn't know how the jury could be "free from the taint of this."

Maxine Waters's statement could cause the trial to be overturned.

"I think if they want to give their opinions, they should do so in a respectful, and in a manner that is consistent with their commitment to the constitution, to respect the co-equal branch of government. Their failure to do so is abhorrent, but I don't think it has prejudiced us with additional material that would prejudice this jury. They have been told not to watch the news and I trust that they are following these instructions and that there is not in any way a prejudice...

"A congresswoman's opinion really doesn't matter a whole lot," Cahill concluded, and denied the motion for a mistrial.

Waters called on protesters to defy curfew and to "fight for justice." She stated that she would not be satisfied if he received a sentence for manslaughter—only murder would count.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Black-owned businesses in 'George Floyd Square' plea for help, say skyrocketing crime is killing business
https://www.theblaze.com/news/black-owned-businesses-george-floyd-square

Black-owned businesses near the intersection where George Floyd was killed last year — now known as "George Floyd Square" — are begging for financial help because they say increased crime in their neighborhood is driving their businesses into the ground.

According to the New York Post, "Black merchants near the once-thriving corner of 38th Street and Chicago Avenue said police have abandoned the blocked-off intersection, creating a dangerous autonomous zone that has seen crime spike and business evaporate."

The business owners have been forced to resort to GoFundMe to plea for help and ask for assistance to overcome revenue losses of over 75%.

I hear nothing but crickets from the legacy news media.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
Black-owned businesses in 'George Floyd Square' plea for help, say skyrocketing crime is killing business
https://www.theblaze.com/news/black-owned-businesses-george-floyd-square

I hear nothing but crickets from the legacy news media.

Hearing nothing because that would require responding to consequences like your link here, the possible consequences of their loudmouths making statements like Fire Water's in your post before this one, and because the media and the puppetmasters are trying to move on to the next shiny thing to keep their constituents distracted. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.