Author Topic: primitives discuss handling the heat without air conditioning  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Dori

Re: primitives discuss handling the heat without air conditioning
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2013, 11:38:26 AM »
I don't really need air conditioning here. We have cool onshore flows almost everyday.  But on the very few really hot days we get, I wished I had it.

Those neck scarves really work.  I was at a large swap meet one summer where they hold the Rose Bowl.  It was over a 100 and we were on black asphalt.  I started feeling really wierd and seeing stars, so I knew I was getting sun stroke. That neck thing saved my life.

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2013, 11:43:07 AM »
Thermostats at 71?  Talk about some folks who truly need to suck it up. 

78 is the lowest it goes here.

Well, of course, 76-78 is the preferred setting from November until late March.

We're not campers.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2013, 02:25:07 PM »
Thermostats at 71?  :o Talk about some folks who truly need to suck it up.  :-)

78 is the lowest it goes here.

Exactly

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2013, 03:40:47 PM »
I love my heat pump. We can run the a/c all day long during the hot Florida summers and the electric bill never seems to get over around $170.

If the winter's cold though, the heater will really use some power, an extra hundred bucks a month or so. There again, it's Florida, so the winters are never too bad.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2013, 04:08:37 PM »
On hot days, Ill stop at the nearby convenience store and buy a gallon jug of store brand water before heading out.

It will be empty upon my return- And because of the heat, I won't need to use a bathroom anywhere along the route either. I just sweat it all out. I've learned the best thing to do with an LLV is to close the door leading to the back, open both windows all the way up and set the fan so that it blows across the cab. Sure, the mail in the back gets pretty warm, but being the evil fascist rethug that I am, I'm really not that concerned about how comfortable the bills and catalogs are.

Been there, done that.

When I worked for a delivery company, all our trucks were 14' aluminum bodied Grummons with Chevy 1-ton chassis.  I would carry a 2 gallon water cooler with me all the time.

One very hot day, I was running a route in Charleston, WV, and I thought I had stepped in some chewing gum somewhere, because my right foot was sticking to the metal floor.  Turns out, the sole of my shoe was melting!  I also emptied the 2 gallon cooler, and had to stop for a bag of ice and a gallon of water.

The next day, I upgraded to a 3 gallon Gott cooler, with the spigot on it.   :-)
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2013, 05:17:04 PM »
Well, of course, 76-78 is the preferred setting from November until late March.

We're not campers.

I couldn't live in that ice box.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2013, 07:19:16 PM »
Ice box?  Keee-rist.  In winter (October-May) the heaters in the house never get above 68.

Summertime, OTOH, we just have the window units.  Just put them in last weekend, in fact.  Looking at the extended forecast it looks like this might be the only weekend in the foreseeable future we'll need them.

Scoobie and I set up he pool this weekend.  Load of water coming in on Friday.  Oh, did I mention the high temp for Friday is going to be 60? Yay.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2013, 07:32:55 PM »
We are already in the triple digits in Las Vegas, so our A/C is on.  Our whole house is set at 75.  If I set it any higher, it feels way too warm in the house.  We kick the A/C on if the house gets above 83 degrees.  That's where I start to get uncomfortable and start sticking to the couch.

Winter isn't that bad.  We kick the heat on (can't remember how many degrees) whenever it gets below 36 degrees.  Otherwise it will feel like an icebox in the house.  I love winter because we can get all of our fresh air.  I already miss having our windows open.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2013, 07:37:09 PM »
It wasn't hot here, but it sure was humid.  Spent 15 minutes messing with my car and was dripping wet by the time I was done.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2013, 08:25:28 PM »
Ice box?  Keee-rist.  In winter (October-May) the heaters in the house never get above 68.

Summertime, OTOH, we just have the window units.  Just put them in last weekend, in fact.  Looking at the extended forecast it looks like this might be the only weekend in the foreseeable future we'll need them.

Scoobie and I set up he pool this weekend.  Load of water coming in on Friday.  Oh, did I mention the high temp for Friday is going to be 60? Yay.

That's your normal weather conditions. I was referring to someone who sets the thermostat at 71. That's pretty chilly for ac hence icebox. As for your normal weather yeah I hate the cold shit. I lived in two very warm year round places for a very long time; have been in winter land for a decade and I still despise the winter. You can have it:)

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2013, 09:12:40 PM »
It wasn't hot here, but it sure was humid.  Spent 15 minutes messing with my car and was dripping wet by the time I was done.

It was in the mid 90's here all week and humid as hell. It's always humid here though. I changed the oil in my car Friday afternoon around 7pm and when I got done I looked like I had jumped in the river.   :cheersmate:
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2013, 09:19:52 PM »
It was in the mid 90's here all week and humid as hell. It's always humid here though. I changed the oil in my car Friday afternoon around 7pm and when I got done I looked like I had jumped in the river.   :cheersmate:
It's so humid, you might as well be getting rained on.  It doesn't feel any different.  Drip, drip, drip.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2013, 09:25:02 PM »
I couldn't live in that ice box.
71?!?! That's San Diego weather!

Once in a while on a summer evening a Snuggy might feel good, but indoor temp in the low 70s is why God gave us central air.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2013, 09:31:35 PM »
73 is perfect for me.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2013, 09:41:02 PM »
It's so humid, you might as well be getting rained on.  It doesn't feel any different.  Drip, drip, drip.

Ain't that the truth!!!! We had a good little breeze here but it don't do no good.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2013, 10:54:14 PM »
I've learned the best thing to do with an LLV is to close the door leading to the back, open both windows all the way up and set the fan so that it blows across the cab.

Sure, the mail in the back gets pretty warm, but being the evil fascist rethug that I am, I'm really not that concerned about how comfortable the bills and catalogs are.

Newman!

Offline JLO

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2013, 11:07:49 PM »
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2013, 03:27:03 AM »
We are already in the triple digits in Las Vegas, so our A/C is on.  Our whole house is set at 75.  If I set it any higher, it feels way too warm in the house.  We kick the A/C on if the house gets above 83 degrees.  That's where I start to get uncomfortable and start sticking to the couch.

Winter isn't that bad.  We kick the heat on (can't remember how many degrees) whenever it gets below 36 degrees.  Otherwise it will feel like an icebox in the house.  I love winter because we can get all of our fresh air.  I already miss having our windows open.

I went for a few hours today without the a/c on. Once it hit 81 inside the house, it went back on. It was 102 outside. I have friends that use swamp coolers and brag about low electric bills. I moved here to avoid humidity, I don't need to add it to the inside of my house with a swamp cooler. I have seen homes with swamp coolers that seem musty, it gets my allergies going. Plus most of them are very loud.

Living alone I do pretty well in the winter with Edenpure space heaters, I usually only use one room at a time and it comes in handy. They really work well when I work nights and just need to take the chill out of my bedroom or living room.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 04:27:26 AM by RobJohnson »

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2013, 05:59:57 AM »
71?!?! That's San Diego weather!

Once in a while on a summer evening a Snuggy might feel good, but indoor temp in the low 70s is why God gave us central air.

71 with sun shining on you is not 71 of compressed air indoors. Icebox. Are you from Ohio originally? That would explain it right there;)

Offline RayRaytheSBS

• "There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men."
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2013, 06:38:37 AM »
It hasn't gotten over 90 here in NC yet. The wife and I are enjoying it while we can. This time last year the heat index was already in the high 90's. We can't wait to get back to a spot that has snow and cold weather. I can't stand the heat and humidity, so the thermostat is set at 70 in our house!
“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms”

“The best things in life are beyond money; their price is agony and sweat and devotion ... and the price demanded for the most precious of all things in life is life itself - ultimate cost for perfect value.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2013, 08:05:42 AM »
It's now 71 in my home due to the temps going down and windows open. I need a hoodie and my toes are cold. Like I said icebox and my estimation was correct now that I've had a chance to reobserve my frame of reference. Crazy ass people;)

All kidding aside I've noticed men seem to like it colder and seem to really feel the heat more so I guess that accounts for a lot.

Offline Undies

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
It's now 71 in my home due to the temps going down and windows open. I need a hoodie and my toes are cold. Like I said icebox and my estimation was correct now that I've had a chance to reobserve my frame of reference. Crazy ass people;)

All kidding aside I've noticed men seem to like it colder and seem to really feel the heat more so I guess that accounts for a lot.

It is exactly 71 degrees in my house too.  It is due to a roaring 4-tons of refrigerated air being pumped into this humble abode.

Offline 67 Rover

NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Dori

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2013, 10:43:59 AM »

I don't know how you all can stand humidity.  I can take desert dry heat, but not the humidity.

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2013, 11:34:37 AM »
It is exactly 71 degrees in my house too.  It is due to a roaring 4-tons of refrigerated air being pumped into this humble abode.

Brrrrr