Author Topic: We're in danger of losing the war issue and Patriot Act issue to the Republicans  (Read 430 times)

Offline CC27

Ter Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Fri Jan-14-11 02:35 AM
Original message
We're in danger of losing the war issue and Patriot Act issue to the Republicans

Unfortunately, President Obama, who campaigned against the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars, is not against these wars in the least. He also was anti-Patriot Act in 2003, but is as pro PA as they come now. Sadly, many, many Democrats in Congress agree with him. Republicans also were almost unanimously in favor of these two issues several years ago.

However, times are changing. Many of the hard-right tea baggers with a libertarian twist are now in opposition to both wars and the un-Patriot Act. The Karl Rove/George Bush/Dick Cheney/Bill Kristol neo-con wing of the party are on their way out. I expect the paleo-conservative/paleo-libertarian wing to grow in greater numbers in 2012, knocking off many neo-cons in the Repuklican primary.

We're in deep danger of losing these issues to the unthinkable, Republicans. If not by 2012, certainly by 2014-2016. We can't lose this issue to them, folks. The American people are with us, why are we turning our backs with support of the wars and PA? Is there any chance Obama can act like he did when he was running for the Senate? Any chance we can form our own "tea party" and primary the Democrats who support these things?

This is a winning issue, and if Republicans start talking about pulling out completely (not some half-assed retreat where we say it's an end to combat, yet still have 50,000 there) of these unpopular wars, I fully expect us to lose many more seats in the coming elections.

Yikes. My head hurts.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x1988

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
The Patriot Act

Drafted by Biden in the late 90's, continued by a Democratically-controlled Congress and president in 2009.

Got it.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Maybe alot of these people the left are now claiming are against the war are so because they don't see any objective to the war anymore under the current administration?
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline jukin

In danger?  The left has lost both issues.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
Yikes. My head hurts.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x1988

Poor Terd. So 'tupid. So disillusioned. So gullible for falling for the bullshit in the first place. Which I'll take this moment to say, Told You so. :nelson: :retards:

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Maybe alot of these people the left are now claiming are against the war are so because they don't see any objective to the war anymore under the current administration?

Gosh, how could anyone possibly ever get the impression that Obama regards it as a timed game of political football, rather than an actual war with real consequences?

O-)
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.