Author Topic: primitives discuss cabbages  (Read 1696 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss cabbages
« on: September 17, 2010, 10:52:26 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9150880

Oh my.

I saw this campfire burning, and rushed right over to it, hoping to see the unappellated eohippus, the "Horse With no Name" primitive, but alas she hasn't shown yet.

But here it is anyway:

wordpix (1000+ posts)        Fri Sep-17-10 10:09 AM
Original message

"Cabbage-gate": Georgia [organic] farmer sued for growing too many vegetables   

http://www.grist.org/article/2010-09-16-georgia-farmer-... /

In these times of economic crisis, rising poverty, and diet-related health problems, you'd think local governments would have bigger priorities than counting the number of squash and broccoli plants on people's lawns.

Unfortunately that's not the case for Georgia resident Steve Miller, a landscaper by profession and organic farmer by heart, who's been caught tomato-red-handed growing a downright offensive number of vegetable plants on his property outside of Atlanta. (The exact number of criminal plants unknown.)

Dubbed "Cabbage-Gate" by friends and neighbors of Miller, officials in Dekalb County, Georgia, are suing him for $5,000 in fines for not having his land properly zoned to grow such an apparently ridiculous number of vegetables -- even after he stopped growing them and got rezoned.

If the county is suing this long-time hobby farmer for growing too many vegetables, how many are "acceptable" anyway? Twenty? Eleven? As many as you want as long as that doesn't include cabbage?

apparently the DeKalb County officials don't realize our heritage as an agrarian nation

Let's just keep all those diesel trucks coming in from thousands of miles away with anemic, tasteless, chemical-laden veggies from TX and CA

NV Whino  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-17-10 10:14 AM
Response to Original message

1. Pretty ridiculous

whistler162  (1000+ posts)        Fri Sep-17-10 10:17 AM

2. unrec for bad writing....he is being fined for not being properly zoned!

But, heck let's put up a waste dump in a residential area even though it isn't zoned for it!

Dogtown  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-17-10 10:28 AM
Response to Reply #2

3. Rec to counter your poutiness.

He *didn't* put a waste-dump anywhere, did he?

Except for the manure in his garden, that is.

Are you a member of the "zero-tolerance" crowd?

wordpix (1000+ posts)        Fri Sep-17-10 10:35 AM
Response to Reply #2

4. Why are you equating a waste dump with growing organic veggies? 

Geesh

A waste dump is full of chemicals, toxic waste/substances and large bulky items that harbor same

Organic growing is good for the soil, water and air, and attracts biodiversity of birds, butterflies and pollinating insects

Guess what? Not at all the same. Point is, officials should be encouraging organic growing, not fining people for it.

Where I live in DC, there's a large community garden movement in and around the city in the most built up areas. Lots of officials and Michelle O. are encouraging this and there's a big waiting list for many if not all of the community gardens. Most of the gardens have rules about organic growing only, so neighbors only benefit with the beauty, biodiversity, open space and organic veggies and flowers they themselves grow.

My community garden also features a small orchard that we tend.

I guess you prefer grass, tho.

Grass is nice; acres and acres of lush green undulating grass; never-ending green grass stretching to the horizon.

jberryhill  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-17-10 10:58 AM
Response to Reply #4

8. A zoning violation is a zoning violation

If the zoning laws are preventing people from gardening, then that is a reason to change the zoning laws.

It's not a matter of "equating" a waste dump, factory, prison, farm, group home, etc. with anything else.

Nobody is going after him for "growing cabbages". It is probably a question of how much acreage one can have under cultivation in the relevant zoning classification for that property.

If the point is "anyone can do anything they want, regardless of zoning", then what would be wrong with a waste dump?

kestrel91316  (1000+ posts)        Fri Sep-17-10 10:44 AM
Response to Reply #2

6. Why do you hate food self-sufficiency and eating locally?

ensho  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-17-10 10:43 AM

5. well, its Georgia for pete's sake

the neo cons there have banned Logic and Reason from crossing the State's borders.

ixion  (1000+ posts)        Fri Sep-17-10 10:57 AM

7. Our governments hate it when people try and be self-sufficient

it's very sad.

HiFructosePronSyrup  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-17-10 11:11 AM
THE HIGH-FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP PRIMITIVE

9. Unrec for dishonesty.

littlewolf (6 posts)      Fri Sep-17-10 11:18 AM
Response to Reply #9

10. ok silly question

was it the local gov. that brought the complaint (local gov can be changed .. or can change laws/policies.)
or a "neighborhood association" these are people that can tell you the color you can paint the outside of your home ... how long or short your grass can be ... and dictate your garden ...

HiFructosePronSyrup  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-17-10 11:20 AM
THE HIGH-FRUCTOSE CORN-SYRUP PRIMITIVE
Response to Reply #10

11. Dude had undocumented migrant workers working in his "garden."

Doesn't matter who turned him in.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
Re: primitives discuss cabbages
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 12:36:16 PM »
HiFructosePronSyrup  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-17-10 11:20 AM
THE HIGH-FRUCTOSE CORN-SYRUP PRIMITIVE
Response to Reply #10

11. Dude had undocumented migrant workers working in his "garden."

Doesn't matter who turned him in.

Uh oh's!!!!!!!!!

Now jberryhill's  really in trouble with the DUmpsters! He was giving jobs to criminals they adore!!!

Sounds more to me like he had a "commercial" operation goin'! Not some self sufficient frikkin' garden! He sells the stuff!!!!! He's not zoned commercial, he's zoned residential, therefore he gets a fat fine!

I wonder if O'Bumbler is goin' to slap his happy ass in jail for hiring illegals? I guess it depends on whether or not he's Caucasian!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 12:55:32 PM »
Oh I love cabbage, I thought there were going to be some recipes.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 12:59:43 PM »
Oh I love cabbage, I thought there were going to be some recipes.

Me too.  I just got a good one for grilling it.  Oh wow. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 01:13:36 PM »
Me too.  I just got a good one for grilling it.  Oh wow.

In my house we make a family recipe for stuffed cabbage and it's the best. I saw a show on I think it was the travel network and they talked about a place in Minnesota, a polish place, and they made stuffed cabbage in the oven, that looked sooooooo good. I have to see if I can find the name of the place and find the recipe, I really want to try that.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 01:16:44 PM »
RABBIT FOOD! I'm outa here!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 01:30:30 PM »
Issa, the show I was talking about is actually Diners, Drive-ins and Diver, the name of the place is called Kramarczuk's in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and the stuffed cabbage is called Holubets, here's their website:

http://www.kramarczuk.com/

Now to find the freaking recipe for it.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 01:32:41 PM »
Uh oh's!!!!!!!!!

Now jberryhill's  really in trouble with the DUmpsters! He was giving jobs to criminals they adore!!!

Sounds more to me like he had a "commercial" operation goin'! Not some self sufficient frikkin' garden! He sells the stuff!!!!! He's not zoned commercial, he's zoned residential, therefore he gets a fat fine!

I wonder if O'Bumbler is goin' to slap his happy ass in jail for hiring illegals? I guess it depends on whether or not he's Caucasian!

I do know it qualifies him for a cabinet or czar position in his gubbamint.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 01:42:24 PM »
Can't find the exact recipe, but I remember they had meat, pork and added cooked rice to it. I did find this at the google recipe group:

I watched an episode of Diner's Drive-Ins and Dives this week and Guy
went to Kramarczuk's in Minneapolis.  One of the dishes they made for
the show was their cabbage rolls....Holubets....
They lined the pan with whole leaves, then put the rolls in, poured
the sauce over and then covered the whole thing with more leaves.
Their cabbage rolls looked really good and HUGE.

Offline true_blood

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 01:51:09 PM »
Good ole' local gubberments making sure no one grows too many tomatoes or cabbages. Nothing gets by these guys, huh?!?! :whatever:
It's a good thing they have less serious stuff to worry about like local town deficits, laying off teachers, police men/women and firemen. As long as they patrol to make sure you are properly zoned for growing your garden. ::)

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 02:32:24 PM »
wordpix (1000+ posts)        Fri Sep-17-10 10:09 AM
Original message

"Cabbage-gate": Georgia [organic] farmer sued for growing too many vegetables   

http://www.grist.org/arti...010-09-16-georgia-farmer-... /

In these times of economic crisis, rising poverty, and diet-related health problems, you'd think local governments would have bigger priorities than counting the number of squash and broccoli plants on people's lawns.

Unfortunately that's not the case for Georgia resident Steve Miller, a landscaper by profession and organic farmer by heart, who's been caught tomato-red-handed growing a downright offensive number of vegetable plants on his property outside of Atlanta. (The exact number of criminal plants unknown.)

Dubbed "Cabbage-Gate" by friends and neighbors of Miller, officials in Dekalb County, Georgia, are suing him for $5,000 in fines for not having his land properly zoned to grow such an apparently ridiculous number of vegetables -- even after he stopped growing them and got rezoned.

If the county is suing this long-time hobby farmer for growing too many vegetables, how many are "acceptable" anyway? Twenty? Eleven? As many as you want as long as that doesn't include cabbage?

apparently the DeKalb County officials don't realize our heritage as an agrarian nation

Let's just keep all those diesel trucks coming in from thousands of miles away with anemic, tasteless, chemical-laden veggies from TX and CA

Riddle me this, DUmbshit:  What party has controlled Atlanta/DeKalb county politics for damned near time immemorial? 
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 03:06:34 PM »
Can't find the exact recipe, but I remember they had meat, pork and added cooked rice to it. I did find this at the google recipe group:

I watched an episode of Diner's Drive-Ins and Dives this week and Guy
went to Kramarczuk's in Minneapolis.  One of the dishes they made for
the show was their cabbage rolls....Holubets....
They lined the pan with whole leaves, then put the rolls in, poured
the sauce over and then covered the whole thing with more leaves.
Their cabbage rolls looked really good and HUGE.

That sounds good!  When I am lazy, I just use all the ingredients to stuff a cabbage, but shred the cabbage, mix it all up and bake it. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 03:09:08 PM »
I saw that episode the other week.  Good God, those cabbage rolls looked good.  And they were enormous.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 03:14:23 PM »
I saw that episode the other week.  Good God, those cabbage rolls looked good.  And they were enormous.

I may have to wing it and just throw something together, for the cream tomato sauce that goes on top? I might just try the package of Knorr Parma Rosa creamy tomato sauce.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 03:58:06 PM »
Ummm . . . do I have to be the one to ask this?  (Obviously, yes.)

Where is Agent Cab Bage?  I thought that the primitives hated cabbages! :tongue: :fuelfire:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 04:46:33 PM »

Where is Agent Cab Bage?  I thought that the primitives hated cabbages! :tongue: :fuelfire:

Shhhhhhhh VRWC Agent Cab Bage is deep deep undercover these days. Right now he's engaged in counting the money from his last quarterly fundraiser. The UmmDies may hate him but teh Roves masterful year long covert pizza campaign has them fearing him. Whatever you do, don't blow his cover.  :-)

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 04:56:34 PM »
Ummm . . . do I have to be the one to ask this?  (Obviously, yes.)

You can't even trust cabbage anymore...
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi