Author Topic: a primitive discovers the asylum  (Read 430 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
a primitive discovers the asylum
« on: January 23, 2010, 12:57:15 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=276x10272

Oh my.

It's always good to have a new primitive face in the mental health forum, as the subway cat gets boring.

Terra Alta  (333 posts)      Sat Jan-23-10 01:55 AM
Original message

My introduction...(somewhat long-winded)

Hello all.. I would have been here sooner but I just found this forum on DU.. and I'm glad I did. Now for my story.

I am 28 years old.. 29 in March.. and I suffer from a variety of mental disorders. For the longest time, I thought there was something wrong with me. I never had any real close friends, I was never quite happy, and people thought I was rather odd. In my high school years I started getting somewhat depressed... I never fit into any of the cliques and had a few people I talked to but none I would consider a "friend". I graduated in 1999, unsure of what I where I wanted to go or what I wanted to do with my life.

I went to a community college for a while... but for some reason just couldn't get the hang of it.. and didn't last long there. In the meantime I got a part time job at a local family restaurant. I worked there for a little over four years... I started out working four days a week(Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun).. eventually they kept cutting my days and at the end I was only working Fri and Sat nights.. then one day out of the blue I got a call saying they didn't need me anymore and they would call back if they needed me.

So, off job hunting I went.

The only place that would hire me was Wal-mart. I started working there in March of 2005 as a part-time cashier. Well, that sent my anxiety through the roof... dealing with angry customers, demanding managers, and the fact that some of my co-workers thought I was a freak.. well it was a lot to deal with.

I went through 2005 and 2006 with my depression and anxiety getting worse and worse... In 2007 I finally hit rock bottom. I was hospitalized twice that year and was finally diagnosed with major depression and anxiety. I'm also suspected of having some type of high-functioning autism/Asperger's, Seasonal Affective Disorder, ADD, and OCD(I'm just one big messed up person, I guess... lol)

I was put on Zoloft which has helped tremendously. I also started seeing a therapist which helped too.

2008 was a much, much, better year for me. I managed to keep my job at Wal-mart and was even bumped up to full-time...(which I can handle much better now that I have the meds to do so) and I became best friends with one of my co-workers... we were just talking one day and we found out we see the same therapist. She is 32 years older than me but we are very close... she accepts me for who I am(being a lesbian) and has basically welcomed me into her family.

Right now things are going ok... I have my good days and bad days.. but the bad days are nothing compared to 2007.. I am still on Zoloft and I'm seeing my therapist every two weeks(my best friend and I managed to schedule our appointments on the same day, one after the other, so we basically get two hours every two weeks with our therapist).

Anyway, sorry to get so long-winded.. but just wanted to stop by and introduce myself!
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Re: a primitive discovers the asylum
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 12:58:31 PM »
I feel bad for those folks with true mental problems but going to DU about your mental illness is like having an AA meeting with an open bar.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 01:01:47 PM »
<I>I suffer from a variety of mental disorders. For the longest time, I thought there was something wrong with me. I never had any real close friends, I was never quite happy, and people thought I was rather odd

Congratulations, your home amongst your own kind.    Now.. mingle.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 01:03:23 PM »
Which comes first insanity or liberalism?

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 01:04:54 PM »
I wonder if I've seen this one.  We have (or used to have) a Wal-Mart worker here that I could absolutely see writing something like this.  Nice enough person, checked me out several times and was fast and polite...but hubby and I actually got into an argument after leaving one day...I thought it was female, and he was sure it was male....   :(

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 01:05:23 PM »
Which comes first insanity or liberalism?

Insanity.  Liberalism is a symptom.   :-)

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.