Author Topic: The angry Magat at my door.  (Read 413 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
The angry Magat at my door.
« on: March 24, 2023, 08:31:32 AM »
Star Member murielm99 (29,638 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100217755076

The angry Magat at my door.

We have six people running for four school board positions here in the April 4th election. It is a consolidated election, nonpartisan. A friend informed me that two of the six home school their children.

I called the school board member who gave her that information.

He is a Democrat, and someone I know.

He called the elementary school principal who confirmed that the two are still homeschooling their children. I thought that a school principal and a school board member (who is a retired school principal with a PhD in education) were reliable sources. I wrote a letter to the local paper stating that I had discovered that two of the candidates home schooled their children. I stated that I felt that people who home schooled their children had no business making decisions for our schools. They did not support our schools. I encouraged readers to vote for the other four candidates. I named them and expressed my support for them. I never used the names of the two who allegedly home school. (I did not use the word "allegedly" in my letter).

The letter appeared in the paper.

The next day, an angry man pounded on my front door.

I answered the door, but I did not let him in. He had a newspaper clipping of my letter in one hand and a checkbook in the other.

He told me who he was (I knew) and informed me that there were things in my letter that were "not true." He flapped the clipping at me. He said does not home school his children.

He and the other woman who do not send their children to public school here send them to nearby parochial schools.

He flapped his checkbook at me and said he could prove that he spends $8,000.00 a year on private school tuition.

I don't see much difference. He does not send his kids to school here. He does not support our public schools. I did not argue with him about that or anything else while he was shouting on my doorstep.

I did not unlock my storm door and did not let him in. He kept hinting that he wanted to come in because he could not hear me over the traffic on the road. I called the sheriff. The sheriff sent a deputy. The deputy spoke to him while he sat in his truck. The deputy came into my house and spoke to me. The Magat is not allowed to come back onto my property. Apparently this Magat is a known hothead.

He once interrupted a church meeting because he did not like the way they were going to spend money on an elevator. He is a sporadic church attendee.

This Magat told me that he has already seen a lawyer. He is going to sue me for slander, libel and defamation of character.

(Remember, I never used his name in my letter). He said we were the subject of "frequent litigation." Thirty-five years ago, my husband and his father were sued by neighbors to my father-in-law's farm property because they had loose cattle. There were two incidents. My husband and father-in-law lost both times. My husband solved the problem by selling all the cattle and refusing to raise any more. The Magat was about four years old then. His family had nothing to do with the lawsuit. They were neighbors only.

My husband does not think this Magat can sue me. He just wants to be a bully. I can support whomever I want for school board. I did not use the Magat's name in my letter. I let my Democratic friends know what is going on. One of them suggested that I get a copy of the deputy's report and any 911 calls. I will do that. I have the FOIA form for it right now.

Any suggestions? Some DU members have spoken about encounters with Magats in grocery stores.

I do not know if the guy started out home schooling and then switched to private schools. I am told that he home-schooled because he is anti-mask and very right wing. I have known him since he was a child. He and his whole family are unpleasant. My friends now report that he is a hothead and a bully.

I am not sorry I wrote the letter. However, I do not want to spend a lot of money on lawyers. We are not poor, but why should I have to go through this? What do you think?

You wrote a lie in the newspaper about someone in a school board election to effect the election... The non-partisan board DEMOCRAT member also tried to influence the election process... Normal leftist tactics, really...

Tetrachloride (5,515 posts)

2. Gather as many facts as you can. Consider the ACLU

Star Member hlthe2b (96,592 posts)

4. Has the media covered this? Any of his behavior?

At this point, I don't think he has a case, but he can obviously initiate a suit which would be a pain. Nonetheless, his harassing behavior likely is a cover for a lot more. At this point, I might be tempted to let a trusted newspaper reporter know about the police report and let them take it from there. The public has a right to know and it might just set him back on his heels, being so exposed.

Bullies don't usually back down on their own. I appreciate the urge to burrow away and hope he cools down and just goes away. I'm not sure he will.

I'm sorry for this happening to you, but this guy is only going to become worse and conceivably more powerful in the future if he is not countered.

Off-topic (sorry) but I had someone ring my doorbell two days ago. I wasn't expecting a package but I don't answer the door anymore (typically) if I am not expecting someone. Now, I'm worried about what it was and I have a nagging feeling about it... I guess I need to invest in a Ring doorbell. Sigh..

Bernardo de La Paz (44,673 posts)

9. Highly likely an idle threat

Threatening lawsuits can be actionable in itself, I think. Find ways to record any threats or public statements he makes (news reports, local weekly papers, standing up at meetings, etc.). If someone else makes a video of him, see if you can get a copy and note down all the details of time and place and individuals. He might do something foolish that you could sue him for (or defend yourself with should need to).

If he does sue, you can arrange with your lawyer to minimize expenses and there may be ways to maximize your chances of getting him forced to pay your legal costs.

You have made all the right moves and taken all the right steps, done your due diligence. You are in a good position.

But I wouldn't even contact a lawyer unless he actually files something. Or unless he does something stupid enough you think you might be able to sue him.

You might like to reach out for support and to give support to others who have been bullied by him.

Mostly though proceed with your normal life.

The Animator (1,137 posts)

10. Step One: Write Another Letter

Remind readers that in your previous letter, you did not mention any candidates by name, but this time name him. Name and shame. He has self-identified as an asshole of the highest order. By all means correct the record and inform readers that he, in fact, sends his child to a private school, and how he showed up screaming at your doorstep to convey that message.

Step Two: get a Ring Camera and wait for him to violate the cops order to stay away.

Step 3: Sell the video to a news channel.
Local school board candidate goes bananas.

Step 4: Wish him the best of luck getting elected now that footage of him harassing a potential constituent is all over the news.

::)

jayschool2013 (2,180 posts)

14. It doesn't matter if you didn't mention his name

or the other candidate who doesn't send their children to public schools.

He can be identified easily by a reader who has read your letter naming the other four candidates.

It's up to the newspaper to vet facts in letters to the editor or they open themselves and the letter writer up to legal action. So now it's up to you and the newspaper editor to verify where this man (and the other candidate) send their children.

If they indeed are home-schooled, they can tell this guy to bugger off.

If the children attend private school, it's imperative to correct the record.

Was your letter defamatory? Probably not, but I haven't read it. But I'd say a case against you and the paper for libel is unlikely to win, but why take that chance?

Oh, and welcome to the world of journalists in MAGA-land.

dembotoz (15,804 posts)

22. side effect of mr trump

Trump has lots of lawyers on staff. Has to use them for something so he sues anyone and everyone.
Sadly this is now acceptable for his vermin bros.....

Trump's fault...
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Muddling 2

Re: The angry Magat at my door.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 09:01:34 AM »
You wrote a lie in the newspaper about someone in a school board election to effect the election... The non-partisan board DEMOCRAT member also tried to influence the election process... Normal leftist tactics, really...

Trump's fault...

So, a concerned citizen who pays school taxes wants to run for School Board in order to provide oversight on how funds are spent and schools are managed?

And, the Primitive has a problem?

SSDD
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 09:06:53 AM »

Trump's fault...

Alex, I'll take "Things that never happened" for $500 please
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline jukin

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 10:09:15 AM »
OMG is this DUchebag gonna be mad when it learns that the head of the teachers union is a childless dyke.

Just kidding the DUmbass loves that the head of the teachers union is a childless dyke.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 10:49:49 AM »
Odd. DUmmie calls the person a "Magat" but there's no mention of Trump in the OP.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023, 12:08:49 PM »
So, a concerned citizen who pays school taxes wants to run for School Board in order to provide oversight on how funds are spent and schools are managed?

And, the Primitive has a problem?

SSDD

His stupidity shows he has no clue how things work and were your property taxes go..
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2023, 09:33:45 AM »
Alex, I'll take "Things that never happened" for $500 please

Wish I could sue her for wasting my time having to read that screed.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2023, 10:57:51 AM »
Wish I could sue her for wasting my time having to read that screed.

It starts with sending the DUm'Rat an invoice for your hourly rate. I'm sure Tess has the particulars you need for addressing the proper DUm'Rat.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2023, 04:25:42 PM »
A face like that could stop a clock!

She looks like the neighborhood busybody  :lmao:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline SVPete

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2023, 05:38:59 PM »
Is she a former/current teachers union thug-wannabe? Whether or not, I can understand why the thought of someone who had successfully educated their own child(ren) would be triggering for a Prog.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.